3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: [3D] 3D printable parts

Post#55 » Jul 20 2016 04:42

Cockpit model is in prototyping stage.
It will be available with hatches that can be built open or closed:
I will add some details under the hatches to make them a little more useful.

Shapeways prices will be more affordable than arms, around:
$5 in WSF
$12 in FUD
$15 in FXD

I will review and check the model then open it for sale to people wanting the prototypes too (fitting may not be perfect). Prototypes would be ordered with a discount on my own margin (about $1 to $2 cheaper than final prices).

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#56 » Jul 20 2016 11:44

I don't have a Stormsurge, but if I do get one I will keep these in mind. It saves me the hassle of designing my own, and they look top notch.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#57 » Jul 21 2016 06:52

Model is done and ready to be bought.
I added some details on the hull and hatches (handles, release buttons, ...)
See pics to have a better idea on how it looks on the Stormsurge torso.

Shapeways item is here: http://shpws.me/MsAW

Be aware that even if I made the best adjustments to the model shapes, it may need some work to fit perfectly (I am confident that measures errors are at most 5%).
I will put a more refined shape once I get a prototype to correct the flaws that may remains.

Next work is the shoulder missile supports.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Re: 3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post#58 » Jul 27 2016 12:32

Finally, I've done the Stormsurge Missile Shoulder Supports.
See images below
Position is done to be the best looking: not too high, too wide, or too rearward.

Current model is not tested. I will order a prototype in August to adjust the fitting, like the cockpit cover.

Available on Shapeways: http://shpws.me/Mu0w

I am also thinking about making a part to cover the empty SMS craddle, but this is easily done with milliput, plasticard or greenstuff.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#59 » Jul 29 2016 06:10

Holy Aun.. Got Missile? :biggrin:

Great work and though very belated, glad you went with the 1st cockpit option, more detail. :)

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#60 » Jul 29 2016 06:50

I might give those missile packs the slightest tilt upwards so they look like they are going to reach out and hit something at range rather than barely skim over the cockpit (close the hatch before firing!).

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#61 » Jul 29 2016 10:19

I think that's an illusion of perspective. Looking at the image from behind they appear to be angled up, and just from above look relatively straight.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#62 » Jul 30 2016 05:13

@Tael
Thanks. The 1st cockpit option gaves me more troubles to create because of its more elaborate shapes, but it really looks better. I am still wondering about changing a little the rear, to avoid having a sharp angle in the back of the cockpit cover and making it straight to the throat plate.

@Jeffar:
You have plenty of latitude to angle the missiles (I showed a neutral stance).
Look here for the max upward the vanilla model allows:
You can even add some GS in the half sphere to move the missile upper and allow more upward angle.
As Agentarrow said, it's an illusion. And don't forget that your torso could also be tilted.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#63 » Jul 30 2016 05:45

Ahhh, great!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#64 » Jul 30 2016 07:07

Ahh gotcha - I've heard similar from digital sculpting friends when it comes to production and undercuts etc.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#65 » Aug 05 2016 05:36

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR PEOPLE PLANNING TO BUY MY ITEMS

Please hold your order. I am in the process of changing the way the models are designed. For the most important reason: reducing volume and cutting costs.
Expect a roughly 70% price cut on FUD and FXD on shapeways (for example: the gauntlet price goes from $16 one to $5 for material costs). So the FUD models may cost around the same price than the WSF one, but with better details.
This method may make the model a lot less sturdy than the current model thickness. I will add some structure to help preventing that, but you may need to fill the models with milliput or glue inner structure if you want a strong model.

The new items will be ready by the end of August, I hope.

Also, if someone have received the Cockpit cover and the Missile support, I would be interested to have inputs about the fitting (I cannot order the prototypes at the moment).

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#66 » Aug 05 2016 08:25

I'm not going to have a Stormsurge for a while, but once I do I'll be interested in how much cheaper these end up. Good luck updating them!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#67 » Aug 05 2016 09:39

First test on a set of standard arms like these:
New modelling make the price at around $30 instead of $65 in FUD.
Volume savings are not that great on intricated details in models like elbows and hands, but are good on flat surfaces like gauntlets and shoulders, those have a volume saved by around 70% (elbows and hand only 30%).

I don't expect the price decreasing much after that. The model thickness will be around the minimum allowed: 0.3 mm (like a model build with the thinnest plasticard). Inner structure of filling may be needed to avoid the parts breaking too easily.

Redback
Por

Post#68 » Aug 05 2016 10:42

If I can get the tophatch file, I can print and dry fit it at home

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#69 » Aug 06 2016 03:37

Models are now ready to be test-printed. Expect a 40-70% cost saving (depends of the models).
Missile supports and cockpit cover are also thinned now, price is decreased too, but not by much compared to the arms (around 40% saving instead of around 60%), due to the $5 flat handling price.

I will order prototypes before putting them on open sale to see if the thinness is not an issue.
See a temporary 3D sample here to see the limits were I pushed: https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/4994955/24/61?key=f4ae5b9468b14dba74c7501b77db4426
Model volume was reduced from 16 cm3 to around 6 cm3

If you want to print prototypes too, tell me by PM which elements you want so I can give you a link to order them:
(for images of the different model versions, check the OP)
- Cockpit cover+hatches
- L+R Missile Supports
- L+R Shoulders (Version A or B, smooth or hard)
- L+R Elbows
- L+R Gauntlets (Version A or B, smooth or hard, or version C for missiles)
- L+R Hands (for Gauntlets A or B, closed and/or poseable)
L+R Main Weapon Under Gauntlet Support will be given with gauntlet A or B, it is a small piece to glue under the gauntlets to mount the main cannon, using the upper targetting bits holder.

Side note: Overall shapes are the same, but I made two minor changes:
- Gauntlets A and B are 1mm slimmer because they were a little to bulky compared to the shoulders
- Shoulder are 1mm more spaced from the torso and will feature a more visible ball-joint.

Spartan088
Shas

Post#70 » Aug 08 2016 06:27

I am really interested in the cockpit cover and shoulder mounts for 3 of my Stormsurges, please let us know how they look and fit to a Stormsurge model. I have been watching this thread since it first started.

Keep up the great work

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#71 » Aug 09 2016 12:23

Thanks.

I made a big order today to test the prototypes. I expect them to come by the last week of August, and I will show pics of the new parts on my Stormsurge model.

Here a preview of all the parts for the Stormsurge I have, shown at the same scale (I will clean the OP soon)

EDIT:
Sneak peek of what's next (one set will be given as ATT contest prize)
Custom Tau Sept Symbols of any size and shapes (Fire, Air, Earth, ...)
(WIP 3D models)

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#72 » Aug 12 2016 10:12

Received a printed prototype for the cockpit cover (printed on a Form1+ printer, not Shapeways).
Good news: the shapes and overall dimensions are good: the cockpit curves fit nicely, the hatches blend well with the frame, ...
Bad new: I made a big mistake on one dimension: 1mm longer than needed !! So even if the shapes are good, the cockpit don't fit ! :(
It is not a big issue for those who ordered them, because 1mm is easy to sand or cut, either on plastic or printed part.
But I want to minimize the afterwork and the volume will be smaller like the price.

See pics:
(2nd image on right is me pushing the frame to see that the two circular items are well spaced, the distorted frame is normal as I pushed it closer to the plastic)

I made a new prototype to be printed soon (with missile supports). I hope everything will be fine with it at last.

Return to “Modelling”