Akul Contingent Batreps

Battle Reports and debriefing thoughts about your Tau in action
materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Akul Contingent Batreps

Post#19 » Sep 22 2016 12:51

O'D'Doran'Elro strode into El'Mesa'Raik's room "Prepare to mobilize, some of my contacts have been compromised. We need to move to evacuate them before things become... dire."

Army List
Heroes' Path
Death Jester
Solitaire - Cegorach's Rose (El'D'Doran'Ny)
Shadowseer - Mastery Level 2 (O'D'Doran'Elro)

Tau Cad
Commander - Coldstar (Shas'el Mesa'Raik)

Riptide - Heavy Burst, SMS, Counterfire Defence System, Stims (Shas'vre Oni'Dan)
Ghostkeel - Cyclic Ion Raker, TL-FB, Counterfire Defence System (Shas'el Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri)

10x Kroot - Sniper rounds
7x Strike Team - Rifles
7x Strike Team - Rifles, SMS Turret
7x Strike Team - Rifles, SMS Turret
12x Strike Team - Devilfish, SMS, D-pod, Sensor Spines

6x Pathfinder Team
5x Vespid Team + Strain Leader

Sniper Team - 3x marksmen, 6x drones
Skyray - SMS, D-Pod, Sensor Spines
1x Broadside Shas'ui + Shas'vre - SMS, High-Yield

Tau forces arrive at the evacuation point, not noticing the two infiltrating scout squads.

O'D'Doran'Elro's krootists on the other side of the field do notice them, and move to engage.

The Enemy Seize's the Initiative and a drop-pod deepstrikes into the middle of the tau lines. The dreadnought inside merely defensively pops smoke.

Recovering from their surprise the Tau army strikes, El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri explodes the dreadnought with her Fusion Blaster and the assistance of the pathfinder team. Vre'Oni'Dan opens up on the far scout squad slaying the whole squad with her heavy burst cannon and ripple-fired Smart Missile System. The entire firewarrior line, broadsides, vespids and snipers cut down the other scout squad. Finally, El'Mesa'Raik penetrates the drop-pod with a shot from his missile pod and detonates it.

Ignoring the fact that their entire supporting army has been destroyed, the blood angels main force drops in.

Threatening both the left and right side of the board.

The terminator squads assault out of deepstrike and El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri loses 3 wounds and a drone before safely falling back.

Vre'Oni'Dan slays two of the terminators in overwatch as they charge her. Nothing results of the actual combat.

The broadside Shas'ui is struck down in combat. The Shas'vre breaks, and flees out of the battle.

The vespid turn and shoot up the death company with the assistance of the skyray and sniper team. They're all slain except for the librarian who managed to survive two BS 5 seeker missile shots with only 1 wound remaining.

The large squad of firewarriors disembark, and with the assistance of the pathfinders and smaller squad of firewarriors unload into terminators killing all but one

On the other side of the battle the firewarriors manage to glance the dreadnought once.

El'D'Doran'Ny jumps into close combat to support Vre'Oni'Dan, challenging the captain wielding a thunderhammer.

More blood angels arrive from reserve...

...on both flanks.

The wounded dreadnought makes its assault with El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri and destroys her ghostkeel.

The last terminator bravely charges into a hail of overwatch.

He survives and cuts down three of the firewarriors. The rest flee from the battle in terror.

Karen kills the captain with thunderhammer, bounces out of combat

The tau army puts the bulk of its firepower into the newly arrived death company squad, completely obliterating it.

Her primary target destroyed El'D'Doran'Ny instead engaged and slew the two remaining terminators, avenging the vespid that had been wiped out by them just moments before.

Vre'Oni'Dan also managed to kill last terminator in her combat while the solo terminator behind the devilfish was slain by its smart missile system.

The wounded Librarian teleported onto objective 1 and slew O'D'Doran'Elro with his bolt pistol (she wounded herself earlier after periling).

El'D'Doran'Ny was assaulted by the remaining dreadnought as it attempted to stop her rampage around the board.

A very unsuccessful attempt to stop her rampage.

On the other flank the Death Company assaulted the remnants of the Firewarrior squad, and slew them all with just its 5 hammer of wrath hits.

The several of the death company are lost from tau firepower.

El'D'Doran'Ny runs up to objective 1 and cuts down librarian to avenge her sister.

Death company squad sweeps the nearby firewarrior squad but failed to destroy devilfish

The pathfinders embark in devilfish for protection while El'D'Doran'Ny and Vre'Oni'Dan move to support them.

Death company finally manage to destroy devilfish the devilfish but are immediately assaulted. The chaplain losing a wound while his only support is crush by Vre'Oni'Dan.

Note: My opponent lost at the bottom of turn 1 since I destroyed all his models that were on the table, but that's a lame way to end the game so we just ignored that rule. He was playing with the new spiffy rules that terminators can assault out of deep strike. I can't tell if that actually makes the terminators worth it. Seriously, terminators are way over costed. El'D'Doran'Ny murdered like everything this game. O'D'Doran'Elro can never cast a psychic power under any circumstance ever.
Last edited by materpillar on Nov 01 2016 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Sep 22 2016 02:44

Your enemies list would've been interesting to see.
But to answer your question. Yes the Orbital Intervention Strike Force makes Terminators worth it to some degree. Only TH/SS Terminators though since it's an uncoordinated assault and that means no additional Attack, no +1 Initiative and no +1 Strength for them (things SS/TH Terminators don't really care for anyway).

Other things to look out for from Angels Blade are the Tank formation (1 Techmarine, 3-5 Predator units including Baal Predator, 1-3 Landraider all with Scout and Overcharged Engines), the Golden Host (Sang Guard deep strike whenever they want turn 2+ with -1d6 scatter and able to assault), Chapter Ancients (3-5 Librarian/Furioso/normal Dreadnoughts that can each sacrifice their movement phase once to either shoot or pile in and attack once per game) and last but not least the Deathcompany Strike Force.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Sep 22 2016 09:39

His list was something like the following.

CAD
Librarian
2x 5-6 man scout squads. One with snipers one with heavy bolter.
Drop pod w/ librarian dreadnought

Formations?
3x death company squads of 5-6 members
One was joined by the librarian.
One was joined by a chaplain.
One was joined by some character I don't remember
^^not sure if these were in a formation.

3x terminator squads with 5 men. All lightning claws except for one thunder hammer/stormshield in one squad. The assault out of deepstrike all arrive from reserve together.

His wasn't the most streamlined list (mine wasn't either obviously). He was just trying out the new formations.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Nov 02 2016 12:23

El'Mesa'Raik, O'J'Korst'Kha, and Aun'Tash stood around the command room debating the contingent's next move. Their supply levels, where to travel to best avoid the retribution from the blood angels chapter, and the like. El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri spoke rarely as she stood protectively behind Aun'Tash, while El'D'Doran'Ny ignored the whole lot of them as she stared off into the distance.

"No!"

All four of the Tau visibly jumped as El'D'Doran'Ny face twisted in rage as she brought a fist slamming down into the console in front of her and went for her sword. El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri reacted first, her left hand protectively pulling Aun'Tash behind her before smoothly falling to her pulse pistol as she swept past him and slammed her right hand onto El'D'Doran'Ny's sword arm, arresting its motion but still leaving half a foot of bare glistening steel out of its sheath. "Stop!" El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri's single word seemed to hang in the air as she stared down El'D'Doran'Ny.

The briefest of moments passed and El'D'Doran'Ny's eyes slowly refocused from some far away point to those glaring at her from a mere handful of inches away. Her rage flashed away and was replaced with a wave of confusion until she followed a pointed glance down to her half-drawn sword. With deliberate care and great effort she slowly unclenched her hand from the hilt of her sword and returned it to its sheath. "We're going back down there. Nemehirr is trying to pull something. My sister just informed me she picked up his stench in the biggest city on the other side of the planet. We're going to go there so you can help me figure out what those plans are and thoroughly ruin them."

"Who is this Nemehirr?"

El'D'Doran'Ny turned, strode over to the door, and slammed it open. "The keeper of secrets who killed my mother. Get me there." With that she left the room.

----------------------
Army List - 1854
Heroes' Path
Death Jester
Solitaire - Cegorach's Rose (El'D'Doran'Ny)
Shadowseer - Mastery Level 2 (O'D'Doran'Elro)

Tau Cad
Commander - Coldstar, Stims, Shield Generator (Shas'el Mesa'Raik)

4x Stealth suits + Shas'vre, target lock, FB

6x Pathfinder Team
5x Vespid Team + Strain Leader

Air Superiority Cadre
3x Razorsharks - MP

Optimized Stealth Cadre
Ghostkeel - Cyclic Ion Raker, TL-FB, Counterfire Defence System (Shas'el Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri)
3x Stealth suits + Shas'vre, target lock, FB
4x Stealth suits + Shas'vre, target lock, FB
----------------------

El'Mesa'Raik's voice cut through the radio silence. "They're... waiting for us? This is bad. All forces move to engage, we have heavy reinforcements flooding towards our position from all sides."

Stealth Suits Right Flank

Infiltrators in the middle

Kroot Right Flank

Kroot on objective 6

Stealth suit gun line left opened up on the enemy cultists. Causing heavy losses and completely destroying the front most rank.

Un-phased by the Tau firepower the Rhino on the right flank advances

The rhino in the midfield does the same supported by the remnants of an assault squad

The first of the cultist reinforcement come pouring in. (He had the formation that every time a squad of cultists dies, they come back at full strength and outflanking on a 4+)

The enemy warlord, his sorcerer and a squad of terminators pour out of the landraider.

Firing their two combi-meltas at El'Mesa'Raik, they manage to hit and wound him. To which he fails his look-out sir and then 3+ stealth role (he was with the vespid) and is instantly killed.

The Tau airforce retaliates destroying the midfield rhino...

... and the rhino on the right flank.

Karen charges into the cultists with the death jester.

She slays 7 personally and sweeps the rest. The stealth teams also obliterate another squad of cultists.

Yet on the other side of the table more cultists stream in to engage the tau forces.

In the midfield the kroot are multi-assaulted, while the third squad chaos space marines fails its charge into the vespid. The kroot lose combat and flee but manage to escape.

The kroot holding objective 6 are assaulted by the enemy warlord...

... and are utterly destroyed.

On the left flank the Stealth Suits are assaulted and all four are slain by the dark apostle's black mace.

In the midfield, Illia wipes out the two nearest squads with a nova power while the vespid retreat back away from the squad that assaulted them.

The stealth suits on the right flank retreat away from the swarming cultists and claim objective 2.

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri and El'D'Doran'Ny assault the enemy landraider but only manage to glance it.

The dark apostle and sole remaining cultist are left alive to score the "have an enemy by two board edges" maelstrom card.

The Landraider attempts to tank shock El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri and El'D'Doran'Ny, but they both pass their moral.

The enemy psyker obliterates the death jester with a blast of warp energy.

Another psyker moves to engage the stealth team to take control of objective 2

They make their charge, but are locked in combat for several rounds

The cultists continue to advance on the tau lines

The remaining two chaos space marines come under incredible firepower in the midfield.

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri destroys the landraider with a blast from her fusion blaster while Karen assaults the Dark Apostle, and slays him in single combat.

The last remaining chaos space marine in the midfield, blessed by Nemehirr himself...

... ascends to Daemonhood.

O'D'Doran'Elro eyes widened as she took immediate notice of the newly formed Daemon Prince. "All forces pull back, we're too weak to engage that daemon at this time." She flipped off her transmitter and cursed. "I've been had."

Notes:
Tau Defeat
12-11

Sadly my phone died on turn 4, so I didn't have pictures of the last turn. I put all my shots into his warlord squad, killing everyone but his warlord (and putting him 2 two wounds left). Karen then charged him and he then made 2/3 of his 4++ saves against her and she proceeded to fail 2/3 of her 3++ saves against him and die. Statistically he should have died giving me slay the warlord and tieing the game, but the chaos gods were on his side not mine. :dead:

Also losing my 185 warlord turn 1 to snake eyes after getting shot with combi-meltas was absolutely backbreaking for me. But them's the beats.

He also made 4/5 of his 4+ saves to bring his cultists back onto the board, which was vital for the amount of time and firepower that they managed to soak up over the coarse of the game.

I didn't really mention my razorsharks much but they did good things. Blowing up both rhinos turn 2. Turn 3 they obliterated his devastator squad. Turn 4/5 they killed tons of cultists/softened up the space marine squads.

I feel like overall my target priority was pretty on point. I managed to distract his hugely deadly assault terminator squad with some squishy kroot which took them way out of position while I mulched through the rest of his army before turning and collapsing on them again. His army was utterly in tatters by the end of the game while I still had my ghostkeel, a squad of stealth suits, pathfinders, some krott and all my fliers. He only had his infinitely re-spawning cultists, the objective 2 sorcerer, his warlord with 1 wound and... also a 2+ armor daemon prince (that mulched my vespid turn 5).

Overall the game was hella fun for both my opponent and myself, which is all that really matters.

From a fluff standpoint, Nemehirr swayed the blood angels in the last batrep to attack the Akul Contingent and specifically to get O'D'Doran'Elro wounded/returned to the warp. Then he hinted at his presence to her to draw her attention to this city. The Akul Contingent dropped the hammer on these Chaos Space Marines, but they're all Nemehirr's enemies that he wanted gone (they all had marks of khorne). They were mostly all crushed except for her traitor in their ranks who she got promoted to daemon prince status.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Nov 19 2016 12:05

Time for a non-tau, non-canonical (in my mind) bat rep!

1504 point Tyranids
Hive Tyrant - Wings, old adversary, regeneration, Scything Talons x2

Hive Guard w/ Str 8 gun
Hive Guard w/ Str 8 gun
Hive Guard w/ Str 8 gun

Gargoyles x10

Genestealers x5
Genestealers x5
Genestealers x6
Termagaunts x10
Warriors x3 (all Scything Talons x2)

Trygon - Toxin Sacks

-Wrecker Node-
Warriors x3 (all Scything Talons x2)
Carnifex - Scything Talons x2, Toxin Sack

--Mission Emperor's Will--

Deployment
Genestealers on right flank

Warlord trait was to infiltrate a lot of stuff

Space Marines Turn 1
He drop-podded in a squad of tacticals and rapid fired down one of my squads of genestealers for first blood. He also killed a couple out of the other two squads, a handful of gargoyles and a warrior.

Tyrannid Turn 1
That being said he was kind enough to line up some first turn assaults for me (gargoyles tied up the marines while the drop-pod was destroyed).

Left flank advanced and my hive guard took a couple of hull points off the razorback while my warlord cast catalyst on himself.

Space Marine Turn 2
More assault marines arrive to the buffet. He only manages to put down a couple termagaunts. He puts two wounds on my warlord (who managed to save 2 others with FNP which was massive).

Tyrannids Turn 2
Carnifexes both make it into combat with tactical squads.

The tactical squads are very sad about this, and combat goes perfectly for me. A single marine survived combat with my warriors/carnifex so they remained locked in combat as did my other carnifex.

My warlord also finds himself some sad tactical marines (who are camping on his objective) and squishes several of them.

Space Marines Turn 3
The newest buffet item, aka the Command Squad also arrives

The assault marines jump into combat and slay all the warriors.

Dreadnought joins the melee with my warlord and the two surviving marines, managing to wound him again.

Tyrannids Turn 3
However he and the marines get squished by the warlord and trygon. Everyone turns to the newest buffet item (after the hive guard destroy the razorback).

Elsewhere the assault squad is barely hanging on, but managed two wounds on one carnifex and three on the other.

Space Marines Turn 4
The "newest buffet item" has several storm shields, a few power swords, lightning claws and a powerfist. They give my warlord the worst kind of indigestion (death). My trygon decides it would be wise not to charge them.

Tyrannids Turn 4
Over on the right flank, where it is a buffet my carnifex duo ate the remaining assault squad members then crushed the nearby razorback before turning on the last tactical squad.

Space Marines Turn 5
The command squad cuts down my peaceful trygon. Those monsters! However, the enemy warlord takes two wounds in the process.

Tyrannids Turn 5
The hive guard kill 3 of the remaining command squad members in a single round of shooting! The last hero carnifex charges the weakened command squad with all the hive guard. Sadly the carnifex doesn't make it in, and both the hive guard are slain!

On the other side of the map... squish.

Score at the end of turn 5, 4-5 in favor of space marines... but the game continues on a 4!

Space Marines Turn 6
The thunderfire cannon kills the last hive guard.

Tyrannids Turn 6
The hero solo carnifex passes his instinctive behavior (so he doesn't have to charge the powerfist of sadness), and makes a 6" run to contest the enemy objective!

Squish, Squish!

Score at the end of Tyrannids turn 6, 4-2 in favor of the tyrannids... but the game continues on a 5!

Space marines Turn 7
Hero carnifex engages in glorious combat against the enemy command squad... and dies. He does manage to slay the enemy warlord before falling to the powerfist though.

Final Score - 5 (First Blood, Slay the Warlord, Objective) to 5 (Linebreaker, Slay the Warlord, Objective)

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Nov 26 2016 02:35

1500 Points
Spoils of War (Maelstrom, can score either players Secure Objective X).

Akul Contingent
Farsight CAD
O'J'Korst'Kha - Fusion Blaster, Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster, Stims, Fusion Blade, Puretide, Iridium, Talisman

Stealth Team - 3x Burst
Vre'Oni'Dan - Riptide - Heavy Burst, SMS, Stims, Advanced Targeting System
El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri - Ghostkeel - TL-FB, Cyclic Ion Raker

Strike Team - 7x Pulse Rifle, SMS Turret
Strike Team - 7x Pulse Rifle, SMS Turret

Sniper Team - 3x Marksmen, 6x Drones
Skyray - SMS, Sensor Spines, D-Pod
Broadside - HYMP, SMS

Regular CAD
El'D'Doran'Ny - Farsight Counts-As

Crisis Team - 1x Member Flamer/Flamer
Crisis Team - 3x Members - FB/FB, FB/FB + VRT, Flamer/Flamer + target lock

Defense Force
Regular CAD
Ethereal

Crisis Team - 3x Members, MP, TL-MP
Crisis Team - 1x Member, TL-FB, cyclic ion blaster
Crisis Team - 4x Members, MP, TL-MP, + Shas'vre, TL-MP, Puretide Engram Chip

Kroot - 11x Members, Sniper
Strike Team - 7x Pulse Rifle, SMS Turret, Devilfish (Drones/D-Pod)
Strike Team - 5x Pulse Rifle, SMS Turret

Pathfinders - 9x Members
Piranhas - 2x FB, Drones, Blacksun Filter + 1 Seeker Missile

Broadside Team - 2x Members, HYMP, SMS + 3 Missile Drones
Broadside Team - 2x Members, HYMP, SMS + 3 Missile Drones

Note: We agreed before the game that we'd allow his ethereal to sit in his devilfish and still use powers even though the new FAQ says that isn't correct.

Turn 1
Crisis team on the right flank open up on the sniper team.

Two drones and two spotters die, the squad fails moral and flees from the board. Enemy broadsides glance the Skyray once and it fails its 3+ cover save.

On the other side of the battle the single broadside goes down to an immense amount of firepower and a handful of fire warriors go down.

Akul Turn 1
Enemy Kroot advanced forward.

Vre'Oni'Dan nova charges her SMS and obliterates 9 of the kroot while the firewarriors kill another one. The final kroot passes his moral.

They Skyray makerlights up crisis team with 2 hits. These are used to ignore cover and the following barrage of Seeker missiles and smart missiles eliminates the entire squad.

Turn 2
Single Monat Crisis suit arrives defensively, and runs to claim objective 3. The 5 man crisis team puts 7 wounds onto Vre'Oni'Dan. She fails 3 of the saves and all 3 FNP saves. The enemy broadsides glance skyray once, and it again fails its 3+ cover save.

Akul Turn 2
Karen and O'J'Korst'Ka arrive. They and their squad completely obliterate broadside team, while the squad flamer gets the fire warriors to flee from the board and slays several sniper drones.

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri arrives and focuses her fire onto the monat crisis suit. Her FB hits, but fails to wound. Her cyclic ion raker only does a single wound. Vre'Oni'Dan fails her nova charge and takes her 4th wound before she also opens up on the solo crisis suit, but fails to do the slay it. The Skyray advanced forward to take objective 3, but the crisis suit was still alive to contest it.

Turn 3
El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri comes under fire from broadsides, sniper drones, pathfinders and the crisis suit bundle. Under the sheer weight of fire she goes down. The solo crisis suit misses the skyray with its fusion blaster. However its Cyclic Ion Blaster glances the skyray once... which fails its third 3+ cover save of the game and is destroyed. The crisis suit scores both my and his Secure Objective 3.

Akul Turn 3
Stealth team arrives, but scatters 11" off the board, mishaps and is destroyed. O'j advances, assaults and destroys broadside team.

Oni'Dan finally slays the monat suit. The Duel Flamer comes down, roasts final kroot and secures objective 5.

Turn 4
The enemy crisis suit manages to deal the final wound to Vre'Oni'Dan. The pathfinders scoot around and manage to destroy the 2x Flamer suit in O'J'Korst'Ka's unit. O'J'Korst'Ka is also wounded twice.

Akul Turn 4
O'J'Korst Ka and Karen split from their bodyguard. The bodyguard and firewarriors manage destroy a piranha. O'J'Korst'Ka and Karen assault and destroy other piranha but fail their mulit-charge into crisis suit bubble.

Turn 5
The crisis suit bundle slays the two unprotected Fusion Blaster crisis suits. A single gun drone makes combat with the double flamer monat suit in the middle of the board.

Akul Turn 5
O'J'Kort'Ka splits from Karen. Scores two hits on the crisis suit bubble but fails to wound with both shots. However, he successfully makes his charge through a withering amount of overwatch. Once in combat he challenges the enemy shas'vre and slays him plus two others in combatin. Winning combat by 6, the other two flee and he sweeps them.

Karen kills 2 firewarriors with her plasma, which causes her to fail her charge.

The game continues to Turn 6
The firewarriors and pathfinders manage to put 3 wounds onto karen.

Akul Turn 6
She retaliates by killing two more firewarriors which causes the final firewarrior to flee to edge of the board.

O'J'Korst'Ka penetrates the ethereal's transport twice, but both hits are jinked. He then fails his charge against the devilfish.

Game Ends
Final Score 17-12
Akul Contingent is Defeated

Notes/Thoughts:
I think I really should have won this game. However, I had minimal sleep the night before and made several rather major mistakes. This in combination with my terrible luck was too much to overcome.

The Farsight/Fusion Blade deathball is really hard to use. Many times its firepower will is enough to completely wipe out whatever it shoots at. Often you don't want this because you want to multi-assault, so you have to not shoot some of their guns. It makes for very complicated situations.

Mistakes: My deployment was almost great. I should have deep struck my riptide instead of putting it in the backfield where I did. She just didn't have enough of an impact in the game offensively. Doing so would have freed up my stealth team to deploy completely out of line of sight behind the building on the right flank so they wouldn't have died first turn. I should have also deployed my broadside behind that building instead of ontop of it, so it could have killed the kroot instead of getting killed first turn.

Turn 3, I advanced my skyray to try and take objective 3. I should have known El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri was in position to hold it and had my Skryay only advance slightly so it could have also put its firepower into the crisis monat.

Turn 4, I advanced Vre'Oni'Dan onto my destroyed skyray, this put it high enough that the enemy crisis team could shoot it over the LOS blocking houses in the middle of the board. Also, I have no idea what exactly I should have done with my death ball this turn. I split the squad up to try and destroy all the piranhas so I could charge the crisis team behind it. Partly because I had the "Issue a Challenege" objective. But maybe I should have just put all my firepower into his crisis team and tried to wipe them out. Going to make another thread about this actually.

I think my worst mistake was being more afraid of his broadsides than his crisis team. I should have destroyed his crisis team first because they were so hard for me to catch turn 4-5. If I'd have killed them first with O'J'Korst and co, that squad would have had no trouble at all catching the completely immobile broadsides.

Bad Luck: Stealth team died turn 3. If they'd arrived nicely, they'd have helped crush his backline even more thoroughly than I did. Those pathfinders wouldn't have existed. They scored secure objective 1 a couple times late game, which would have been my points instead.

Skyray failed 3/3 3+ cover saves to die. This then resulted miss positioning my riptide on top of its corpse which also got my riptide killed (after it took 3 wounds from 7 saves).

The solo monat that survived my entire ghostkeel/riptide shooting. This directly scored him 2-3 points that should have been mine. I think if any of these 3 things didn't happen I could have won. But they did, so I didn't. :roll:

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Feb 12 2017 04:21

Big Guns Never Tire, 2000 Points

Akul Contingent
Regular CAD
El'D'Doran'Ny - Farsight Counts-As
Cadre Fireblade

Stealth Team - 4x Burst, 1x Shas'ui FB, Target Lock, Markerlight
Vre'Oni'Dan - Riptide - Heavy Burst, SMS, Stims, Advanced Targeting System
El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri - Ghostkeel - TL-FB, Cyclic Ion Raker

Piranha - FB
Piranha - FB
Pathfinder - 6x Members

Strike Team - 11x Pulse Rifle
Strike Team - 8x Pulse Rifle, SMS Turret

Sniper Team - 2x Marksmen, 3x Drones
Sniper Team - 1x Marksmen, 3x Drones
Broadside - HYMP, SMS

Farsight CAD
O'J'Korst'Kha - Fusion Blaster, Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster, Stims, Fusion Blade, Puretide, Iridium, Talisman

Crisis Team - 1x Member Flamer/Flamer
Crisis Team - 1x Member MP/MP
Crisis Team - 3x Members - FB/FB, FB/FB + VRT, Flamer/Flamer + target lock

Skyray - SMS, Sensor Spines, D-Pod

Tau has first turn. Left flank advances, shake one rhino and glance the other

Right flank pulls back. Kills a single Thunderwolf

Forgeworld Dreadnought advances and explodes a piranha with his long range melta

O'J'Korst'ka and El'D'Doran'Ny arriving from deepstrike and destroy the enemy Landraider

Midfield Deployment

O'J'Korst'Ka assaulted

Sniper Drones also assaulted

Turns cream of the crop Tau assault deathball can't handle Arjac and a squad of stormshield/thunderhammer terminators. Only one crisis suit manages to escape.

That did leave the terminators open to lethal retaliation

The thunderwolf cavalry also suffered retaliation

Of the lethal variety

Dreadnought Advancing into midfield

Stealth Suits outflank and blow up Bjorn

Flamer monat deepstrikes onto a backfield objective

The damaged rhino is popped and the tactical squad takes immense firepower

A similar story happens midfield, the tactical squad eating 36 pulse rounds (!!!) from my cadre fireblade and his escort.

Dreadnought makes an 11" charge into the sniper drone team.

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri and Vre'Oni'Dan assault the dreadnought.

It smashes two of the stealth drones and the tau suits decide that maybe it's a better idea to not fight it in close combat.

Tau Victory!

Never played with a Cadre Fireblade before. That man helps your firewarriors put out a crazy amount of damage. I dislike being so immobile though so I probably won't make a habit of running the unit. I was really curious to know if Farsight and my Fusion Blade commander could tango with his terminators, kinda thought they'd lose. Turns out they got super stomped. So do note, keep iridium commanders away from thunderhammers.

Played a second game against someone's 30k Marines.

Game 2 Deployment

As it turns out his entire army had infilitrate, stealth, shrouded or deepstrike first turn. Which seems... really good.

Shoot up a couple of tactical squads on the right flank.

Primarch Deepstrikes in...

... assaults and destroys the Ghostkeel

Quite a lot of deepstrikes actually

Assaulting with O'J'Korst'Ka tangoing with a handful of assault marines. Combat is a draw

Riptide is tarpitting in Assault with her 3++

Board State Overview at the end of turn 2

I think this game was swinging in my favor all things consider. O'J'Korst'Ka should have been able to hit and run out of combat with the assault marines and then been able to assault into the more squishy TAC marines. This would have crushed his midfield. I would have lost a good bit of my backfield but that usually happens to me, but I think the dice were favoring me in terms of attrition. Most of his units hard already taken some noticeable damage. Hopefully I'll get to try and play against him again later to see.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#26 » Feb 14 2017 02:45

Finally got some time to read through the latest reports, great photos also. That Blue on Blue fight was brutal.

Enjoy the debrief conclusions, good read on your post game thoughts. Thoroughly enjoyed :)

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#27 » Mar 06 2017 10:09

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri's coms cracked to life. Instead of the expected voice of El'Mesa'Raik her battlesuit was filled with the sounds of the rapid discharge of a burst cannon. It lasted for a brief moment before the following silence was cut off by the telltale whine of a missile being launched. "There is an imperial knight moving to flank our position." A blip popped up on her holo-map. "Intercept it. I'm rerouting some razorsharks to support." Another missile whined through her speakers. "O'J'Korst'Ka and El'D'Doran'Ny just launched their offensive, expect no other reinforcements." The com-link cut off as the sound of burst fire renewed itself.

Army List
Akul Contingent
Cad
HQ
Ethereal - Warlord

Troops
Strike Team - 11x Pulse Rifles
Devilfish, D-pod, Sensor Spines, Drones

Fast Attack
Piranha

Piranha - FB

Vespid 5x + strain leader

Heavy
Hammerhead, HRR + Sub-munitions, Longstrike, D-pod

Stealth Cadre
Stealth suit w/ Burst x2
Stealth suit w/ Fusion + target lock

Stealth suit w/ Burst x2
Stealth suit w/ Fusion + target lock

Ghostkeel - Ion Raker
Ghostkeel - Ion Raker, Target lock <- El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri

Air Superiority Cadre
Razorshark - MP
Razorshark - MP
Razorshark - MP

Mission Type
Spoils of War

On the left flank both devilfish moved off of objective 2 and out of range of the knight and grav-guns

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri moved forward in the centerfield and destroyed two ad mech walkers (with lances)

The vespid and stealth teams advance to support

The hammerhead misses its shot at the enemy tanks

The Ad Mech army advances (albeit very slowly). The vespids are completely killed as the enemy ad mech walker/monstrous creatures wound them once which allows the grav to shoot and ignore their cover saves! Brutal formation.

The drones and piranha move to limit the knight's advance. A single razorshark arrives and suffers a penetrating hit from the interceptor on the tanks. The knight makes all four invulnerable saves as the ghostkeels and stealth suits open up on it.

The Admech continue their slow advance.

The monstrous creatures glance the devilfish in front of them allowing for all 14 grav hits to ignore its jink save. All 14 hits fail to roll a single six to immobilize it. Image

On the other side of the board Aun'Tash's devilfish is immobilized and then exploded. He suffers a wound and several firewarriors die.

The Imperial knight also destroys the piranha directly in front of it.

The second razorshark comes on from reserve and suffers a penetrating hit from the enemy tank's interceptor fire.

Another round of fire goes into the knight. The stealth suits manage to strip 2 hull points with a single melta shot. The ghostkeels manage to do another 3 hull points with their firepower. Lastly the hammerhead lines up a shot, hits, pens, and rolls a 6 to strip the remaining two hull points causing the knight to explode!

The firewarriors and piranha kill a couple of the enemy warlord's bodyguard unit.

Devilfish at left flank moves back to contest objective 2 and drops off its drones.

Aun'tash split off from his firewarrior body guards to hide behind LOS blocking cover (I was expecting the knight to drop a large blast on them next turn and this was actually safer for him. Then the knight died and so this was actually not safer.)

The enemy ignored him and instead moved forward and destroyed a piranha with his STR 10 pistol. The enemy tanks shoot down one of the wounded razorsharks.

All available firepower pours into the enemy warlord and deals him an impressive one wound (turns out t7, 5W, 2+, 5++, 5+++ is hard to get through).

The last razorshark shows up but is immediately destroyed by interceptor fire. Unload into warlord, 1 wound

Devilfish flees off of objective 2

The enemy warlord shuffles up to Aun'Tash and obliterates him with a STR10 laser beam

Tau Defeat
~7-15

Notes: Cyclic Ion Raker is 6 shots not 4. For some reason I keep making this mistake. Also, we played the whole game with his tanks having a rear armor of 12, instead of the actual 11. This is a massive change as my burst cannons on my stealth suits could have likely glanced them to death much much earlier in the game. See my next point.

I made the mistake of mentioning I was bringing 3 fliers while he was list building. Thus he gave both his tanks the 25 point upgrade that gives them like 3 skyfire guns. Razorsharks are made of paper against things with actual skyfire. Defensively they're basically a piranha with an additional hullpoint for literally triple the cost. That's like really really bad. They also decided to come on one at a time so he could casually interceptor them down. So for 50 points he effectively hard countered 25% of my army. :-(

I still don't know how to position piranhas or what exactly I should be doing with them. Pretty sure I screwed that up realllllly bad in game. On the other hand I'm getting much better at positioning my ghostkeels.

That all being said, I'm pretty sure I was heavily favored to win this game. I controlled (or could have easily controlled by moving a devilfish onto) objectives 1-4 literally every turn of the game while he only controlled objective 5/6. We drew "secure objective 5" four times (in spoils you can steal your opponents secure objective X) and "secure objective 6" once. We drew secure objective (mine) twice. I also got great cards like "Blood and Guts", "Linebreaker" (Turn 1), "Slay the Warlord" (his warlord is harder to kill than a riptide), "psychological warfare" (I forced 4 moral checks on his basic infantry, of which he failed 0), "kill something that charged you last turn" (when he literally never charged me the entire game), and "Kill an enemy unit with a unit in your deployment" (after I moved every unit out of my deployment zone). He drew things like "destroy a vehicle" and "destroy a vehicle with grav" while I'm running 2 piranhas and 3 razorsharks.

Sometimes RNJesus does not shine upon you.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#28 » Mar 11 2017 05:33

Ergh - tough fight and you mention events that caught me too.

(turns out t7, 5W, 2+, 5++, 5+++ is hard to get through).

Terminators in 2nd Edition used to be two saving rolls. A full squad was rightly feared.

Great photos this round also.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#29 » Mar 17 2017 03:40

I'm not really in the mood to write up a whole fluffy story for this game. Eldar vs Tau, Purge the Alien. 2136 point game.

Tau Deployment

Eldar Deployment

Eldar Seize!

And advance! Wraithknight deletes riptide. Dark reapers manage two wounds on broadsides with their krak missile equivalent. Broadsides roll snake eyes on their 2+ armor save and are insta-killed.

Ghostkeel and Coldstar barely take out the enemy waveserpent.

Skyray glances second waveserpent before the vindicare assassin blows it up.

Swooping hawks arrive.

Crisis team arrives and assists in destroying the enemy wraithguard on the right flank.

Dual flamer suit roasts swooping hawks.

Turn 3 board state

Tank opens up on crisis team and ghostkeels

Last of pathfinders eliminated.

Wraithknight takes out another crisis suit.

Fusion blade commander and farsight arrive. Target lock flamer suit cooks majority of the guardian squad while everyone else meltas down the enemy farseer and his bodyguard.

One target locked ghostkeel and the coldstar suit manage to wipe out the first dark reaper squad.

Then the ghostkeels assault and punch the eldar tank to death.

Bottom of turn 4

Closest crisis suit eats D-flamers and is cooked

With only a wraightknight, handful of wraithguard and a spiritseer remaining, my opponent conceded. Game was fairly interesting for me. I almost conceded myself after my opponent seized one me a destroyed my riptide and broadside unit. I really wasn't expecting such a significant turn around. My opponent just didn't have any great way to deal with my ghostkeel unit. He is also a very new player and doesn't understand how deadly his wraithknight is in CC. If he'd have just ran it straight at me and stomped on stuff I'd have been in a terrible situation. I also barely managed to destroy both his waveserpents and if either had survived I'd have been hurting because those wraithguard had the D-flamers.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#30 » Mar 22 2017 07:53

Yah, thinking that was rather bleak - though, Vindicare Assassin? Hurh? - is he using Allies just to pick up that character?

Nicely played - just gritting your teeth and rolling forward tends to knock the steam out of an early rush for your opponent.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#31 » Mar 27 2017 03:18

Tael wrote:Yah, thinking that was rather bleak - though, Vindicare Assassin? Hurh? - is he using Allies just to pick up that character?

Nicely played - just gritting your teeth and rolling forward tends to knock the steam out of an early rush for your opponent.

He wasn't using a vindicare, I was. It was one of my favorite units before I started playing Warhammer, so I field one every now and again for giggles. This game was the one of the first that it actually did a noticeable amount of good (well outside of dumpstering Ravenwing armies).

4000 points, 2v1
Mission - Modified Relic
Single relic starts out in middle of the board
Each team's ethereal also counts as a relic, each ethereal is cannot be removed as a casualty

Akul Contingent's deployment

Defense Force's deployment

Defense Force's Stealth Team infiltrates behind enemy lines.

Kroot-ists infiltrate onto the Relic

Turn 1 Defense Force advances forward. Long range fire support destroys both broadsides and wounds the vindicare assassin (vindicare assassins position is shown on the bottom right building of this picture). A large portion of the kroot on the relic are shot to pieces. Two riptides novacharge their reactors to jump 4d6 closer to Akul lines

Turn 1 Akul armor advances forward. Some SMS missile systems managed to slay a hiding stealth suit, the squad fails moral and never manage to pass their moral save the rest of the game. Riptide fails nova charge and takes a wound, before taking a bead on the far away enemy broadsides. However, both pass their cover saves and one reflects the shot back off the shield wall and wounds the riptide a second time.

On Turn 2, the defense force's riptide assault jumps to grab the relic. Earlier in the turn the razorshark arrived from reserve, as did both squads of crisis suits. The larger crisis team and enemy commander with a full compliment of 10 gun drones, mishap and are completely destroyed!

Bottom of turn 2, a full compliment of Razorsharks arrive but fail to do any noticeable damage to the enemy.

On the other side of the board however, a small stealth team safely deepstrikes next to the shield wall. Guided by the squad's homing beacon the Y'vahra arrives, destroying longstrike, a broadside and a handful of fire warriors. A crisis team also arrives and obliterates most of another broadside squad. The stealth team itself slays several firewarriors. These suits all then jump to the safety of the shield wall.

On the other side of the shield wall a similar squad of stealth suits arrives to guide in a crisis monat (who torches a squad of firewarriors), and the Ghostkeel squad (who slay a broadside)

In the center of the board a devilfish flies forward and grabs the relic with objective secured before flat-outing away, while a second devilfish moves to screen the first's retreat. Party on the Relic

Turn 3, the enemy knight advances but fails to its charge into the devil fish in front of it. While the devilfish with the relic is destroyed the firewarriors with the relic manage to survive relatviely unscathed. Almost all the kroot have been obliterated, those that haven't are fleeing. Note: enemy stealth team is still falling back across the board.

Fliers advance to start taking shots at the disembarked pathfinders.

The defense force's gunfort and ethereal are completely overrun.

O'j'korst arrives and lines up 7 penetrating melta shots on the knight. However, the defense force team conceed before the hits are resolved.

My opponents made a single deployment choice that cost them the game. Having won the roll off to infiltrate first, they didn't infiltrate their stealth team onto the relic so they could grab it first turn. If they'd done this and immediately retreated they wouldn't have had to advance their knight and riptides so far forward to contest it the midfield relic. This would have left their own defensive lines much more supported so when I arrived from reserves they'd have been able to fight back instead of being casually crushed. It would have meant a whole armored task force would have had another turn or two of being useless before they could have joined the fight.

In other news my Y'vahra riptides continue to be hilariously overpowered. I had one round of shooting with one of them and it killed more than its points back. My decision to never field them outside of apocalypse/tournaments is now supported with even more evidence, which is a shame because I think they look so awesome and have such cool rules.

Armies were roughly as follows
Akul Contingent
Commander
Farsight
Ethereal

Riptide
2x Stealth Teams
2x Crisis Teams + monat
2x Ghostkeels

20x Kroot
33x Firewarriors
3x Devilfish

Pathfinders Team
Vespid
2x Piranhas
2x Y'vahra riptides
3x Razorsharks

Skyray
Sniper Drone Team
Broadside Team

Vindicare Assassin

Defending Force
Farsight
Ethereal
Commander

2x Crisis Teams
Stealth Team
3x Riptides

5x Firewarrior Squads
2x Devilfish

Pathfinder team
razorshark

3x Broadside Teams
Hammerhead/longstrike

Full Shieldwall

Imperial Knight

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#32 » Apr 04 2017 03:30

Akul Contingent Forces
Heroe's Path
Death Jester
Solitaire (Cegorach's Rose) => Karen
Shadowsser (Mastery Level 2) => Illia

Tau CAD
Commander - Coldstar, Shield Generator, Stims => El'Mesa'Raik (warlord)
Ethereal => Aun'Tash

Riptide - Heavy Burst, SMS, Stims, Advanced Targeting System => Vre'Oni'Dan
Ghostkeels (2x) - FB, Cyclic Ion Raker (one with Target Lock) => El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri
Stealth Team (3x) - Burst Cannons

Breachers (10x) - Devilfish (Sensor Spines, D-pod)
Breachers (10x) - Devilfish (Sensor Spines, D-pod)
Kroot (10x) - Snipers
Kroot (10x) - Snipers

Pathfinder Team (5x)
Piranha - FB

Skyray - D-pod, Sensor Spines
Broadsides (2x) - HYMP, SMS

Maelstrom Mission
# of cards = which turn it is

Akul Contingent's deployment, left flank.

Space wolves seize the initiative! Their forces advance aggressively. Their imperial knight shoots at the broadside team, but scatters off them… directly onto El'Mesa'Raik (who was otherwise out of LOS and hasn't taken to the air yet). He is wounded, fails his 3+ cover save (because of night fighting) and is instantly killed. First blood and slay the warlord!

Landraider full of wolfen advances towards tau lines (bottom of turn 1).

Vre'Oni'Dan and the stealth team unload into the thunder wolf cavalry slaying one, before falling back.

Space wolf turn 2, the knight does no damage with its shooting and charges are just out of range. Mainly they just advance closer. The enemy warlord (a librarian) gives his squad of devastators (?) ignore cover and they put a few wounds onto El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri.

Tau turn 2, the Kroot-ists outflank to score objective 3

El'Eoro'D'Yanoi'Seri shoots the enemy land raider with her Fusion Blaster and explodes it. Vre'Oni'Dan finishes off the thunder wolf cavalry with help from the skyray and stealth team.

Top of 3 Wolfen assault and blender-ize the krootists in front of them.

The knight stomps the krootists in front of it to death.

Bottom of 3 the last of the cavalry advances forward (it was a character that split from the main group to hold an objective)...

…and dies to Karen in the assault phase.

Top of 4, Imperial Knight advances but fails its charge.

Bottom of 4, Illia (my shadow seer) rolled the WC2 power that makes an enemy unit only fire snap shots (which is really good against a knight that only has blast weapons). She's successfully cast this on the knight every turn except the first (because I forgot). This is far and away the best game I've gotten out of her as she usually never manages to cast any powers (via horrible luck). She will continue to cast this power on the knight every turn (but the last) for the rest of the game.

The wulfen were obliterated by general Tau shooting allow for both breacher squads to advance up the middle of the table.

Note: Both rhinos are destroyed at this point.

The breachers unload and destroy the tac squad in front of them.

A couple of STR 10 large blasts later and the breacher squad is all but destroyed (2 survive).

Top of 5, knight advances...

Enemy warlord (librarian) dies to perils of the warp, but gets off ignore cover on his squad and his squad wipes out the stealth team

As it turns out ghostkeels lose to knights in CC. Side note: the pychic power on him should have made it so he only hit in CC on a 6, which I forgot. So there's actually a so-so chance that I could have smashed him to death, instead of being utterly obliterated.

Breachers unload with Aun'Tash and manage glance Bjorne twice.

Karen blitz moves ~25 inches and CCs enemy squad

The squad is wiped out during the next space wolf turn.

Top 6
Heavy flamer = sadness

Turns out riptides lose to knights in CC also

Bjorne wipes out fire warriors and Aun'Tash in CC, tac squad eats devilfish

Most models are dead by this point. Piranha and broadsides finish of vindicator tanks, piranha is lost in the process. Top of 7 the knight misses the broadsides with both its large blasts before smooshing the last surviving pair of breachers on objective 4.

Bottom of 7, karen charges Bjorne and glances him to death for blood and guts and assassinate

Game ends
Tau units remaining
all harliquinns, skyray, 3 gun drones, broadside team

Space Wolves remaining
4 members of a tac squad, imperial knight (2-3 wounds left)

Tau victory on maelstrom points roughly 12-17

Notes: Got Seized on again (although slightly less surprising since Bjorne makes seizes happen on a 5+). Quite annoying, although much less punishing against the space wolves since they don't do much the first turn usually anyway. The Imperial Knight shooting my broadsides, scattering several inches to clip my warlord who was out of LOS, wounding him, then him failing his save and dying all because I got seized on was very very annoying.

Ironically, I think using the psychic power on the knight so he could only snap shoot made him more deadly. I think if I hadn't done that he'd have just stayed in his corner and took potshots at me. Most of my army (outside of breachers) basically ignore the amount of firepower he puts out, so it wouldn't really have mattered. Instead he ran up and cut me apart with his D-Sword. Although this was partly because I positioned really aggressively trying to kill the knight since most of the rest of his army was in tatters.

I'm starting to understand proper positioning with my piranha. It actually made its points back this game (blowing up a vindicator tank) and was a general nuisance.

My opponent removed terrain from the table because he wanted it to be more of a shooting gallery (for his knight)… this was not a wise decision from him.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#33 » Jun 08 2017 12:38

2000 Point Tau Vs Tau (first 8th edition game) - Relic

Armies are deployed

Ghostkeel deployment on flank

Stealth Team deployed on relic

Turn 1 - Ghostkeel comes under fairly heavy fire but is basically unharmed.

Stealth Team is wiped out but soaked up a ton of firepower (the vast bulk of his army shot at them)

Turn 1 - Vespid team arrives and kills both pathfinder squads (with the assistance of a bombing run on one of them). The other sunshark deals 3 wounds to his Fireblade (they have 5 wounds!?)

On the left flank one of the crisis teams is completely destroyed

Turn 2 - my firewarriors take another mashing, mild losses elsewhere

Turn 2 - Mont'ka is used by the coldstar, destroying his piranha and crisis team

Turn 3 - His railside hits my riptide for 7! wounds. I should have kept up the 3++ but instead I nova'd the gun. Really bad error on my part. My ghostkeel refuses to hit anything with its melta gun (specifically that commander right there)

Turn 4 - Outside of his ethereal/fireblade he has basically nothing that can hold the relic. My units are making a desperate sprint to contest the relic.

Turn 5 - Only 3 broadsides/commander/ethereal/fireblade remain on his side of the battle.

Turn 6 - His broadsides kill every model converging on the point, so only my coldstar, pathfinders, 3 planes remain. Razorshark moves into a postion to finish off the fireblade. Coldstar jumps to make the ethereal the closest model and unloads into him. He makes 2 6+ armor saves against the MP, then a 6+ FNP save after being assaulted while sitting at 1 wound, to stay alive holding the relic. If he'd have failed either MP save, I'd have assaulted his commander in such a way that I'd be the closest model to the relic and won. If he'd have failed his 6+ in CC then I'd have tied since his commander had some ability to join the assault and we'd both have ended in Base-to-Base with the relic.

Needed 1 dice to not be a 6 there and I win/tie instead of losing, getting wrecked by those .5% odds.

Notes : Missile pods are much worse in this edition than the last (at least in Tau vs Tau). Wounding T4 and T5 models on a 3+ instead of 2+ is so much worse. Models with 4+ armor saves are so much more durable versus the MP also.

I was playing the Tau Marksmen as 1 wound not 3. This is kind of important in retrospect.

The coldstar is exceptionally good while working with fliers. You just put an airplane between him and stuff and they can't shoot him. My opponent could literally never shoot at my coldstar ever. The coldstar suit is stupid good also.

Fliers are really bad. The sunshark bomb only ever killed a handful of firewarriors, and the gun drones killed basically nothing. Maybe if you're facing huuuuge blobs, but that seems unlikely. See my note about missile pods also. The razorshark felt even worse than the sunshark, and I was managing to use razorsharks to quite a fair amount of success last edition. I'm pretty sure he could have easily just blown them out of the sky with his broadsides if he ever cared enough, but he didn't. I'll probably not field all three of my fliers again for quite a while.

I didn't bring nearly enough melta or plasma. His broadsides were functionally immortal for all intensive purposes this game and they shoot a ton. Like a ton a ton. All future lists of mine will feature at least one fusion squad/commander.

Drones are really good, I need to paint up a fair few of them it looks like.

Our snipers are pretty trash. STR 5 AP- isn't going to kill any character basically ever. Again, they felt much much better last edition when they were BS 5 with rending. Now they're only hitting on 4+ with a spotter around. D:

I'm not sure how I feel about the riptide. It was ok? Even with 14 wounds and T7, I think it is probably easier to kill this edition and it cost so much more. I think next time I'll try it as back field artillery with the Ion Accelerator.

Stealth suits were awesome even though the died immediately. They took way more than their points value in bullets to the face the first turn.

Ghostkeel is also very very durable if you can get a nice piece of LOS blocking terrain to give it a cover save and keep its drones alive. This might have just been an outlier of a perfect game board for it though. It suffers from the Cyclic Ion Raker being a much worse weapon this edition.

I also really like assaulting things with my ghostkeel and riptide last edition. I would consistently end up doing it in a majority of my games. They're basically completely worthless in CC now.

Army Lists
Akul
Coldstar ATS, TL
Fireblade

Firewarriors - 3 squads of 11

Riptide - ATS, Tl, SMS, Heavy Burst
Ghostkeel - ATS, TL, FB, Ion Raker

Pathfinders - 6
Vespid - 6
Marksmen - 3 squads of 1
Sniper Drones - 2 squads of 3

Flier detachment
Razorshark - MP
Sunshark
Sunshark

Opponent
Commander - burst x3, ATS, Shield drone, gun drone
Ethereal
Fireblade

Pathfinders - 2 squads of 6
Firewarriors - 4 squads of 6 all with SMS drone

Broadside - 2 with HYMP, SMS, Shield drone, missile drone
Broadside - HRR, SMS, Shield drone, missile drone

Piranha
Vespid (proxied with kroot) - 6man

Crisis team - 2 teams with 2 suits using 3x plasma and one using 3x fusion, Shield drone, gun drone
Crisis team - 2 teams with 2 suits using 3x plasma and one using 3x fusion, Shield drone, gun drone

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#34 » Jun 09 2017 06:47

Great report, and interesting thoughts on units. Thank you for all the photos! The disruption cammo on your opponents units is very effective! Barely make out what units I'm looking at in some photos.

"Here's my Ghostkeel in trouble.." (Me) "From what? I can't make out anything!?" haha. :D

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#35 » Jun 22 2017 01:21

88 power level, narrative game. Mission where there is an attacker trying to get units into defender's deployment. Defender scores off kill points. Tau attacking nurgle marines.

Army List
Tau
Cadre Fireblade
Coldstar, 2x shield drones, ATS, Target Lock
Commander, 4x Fusion, 2x Gun Drones

Strike team 11x members
Strike team 11x members
Strike team 11x members

Riptide, SMS, Ion Accelerator, ATS
Stealth team, fusion, 2x burst, all ATS, 2x Gun drones
Stealth team, fusion, 2x burst, all ATS

5x Pathfinder team
8x Marker Drones

Sunshark

Devilfish <- I forgot to field this

Chaos Marines
2x lord of contagion
2x plague caster
2x characters with bells that let you advance super far
2x huge squads of pox walkers
2x plague marine squads

Deployment

Turn 1 advance. Sunshark bombs plague marines killing 3. Commander finishes off squad.

Fusion blaster stealth team puts 5 wounds on plague drone.

Riptide puts 6 wounds on plague drone. Chaos marines advance.

Lord of contagion assaults and wipes squad of FW.

Enemy advancing, minimal casualties.

Turn 2. Plague drone is destroyed. Commander slays the second Lord of Contagion. Minimal damage elsewhere.

Commander's drones are assaulted and one is slain.

Huge melee. Lord of contagion wipes pathfinders. Elsewhere, both stealth squads lose 2 members.

Turn 3. Coldstar moves up and declares Mont'ka. Dead firewarriors return to the table, 2 command points are used to make them infiltrate. Pox walker squad is destroyed.

Plague marine squad comes under heavy fire and is completely destroyed by the riptide/sunshark and misc firepower. Lord of contagion responds by wiping another squad of firewarriors.

Turn 4. Plague caster and every remaining space marine traitor in enemy's deployment is completely destroyed. Opponent concedes after lord of contagion fails his charge.

Return to “Battle Reports”