Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post#1 » Oct 07 2016 10:17

Hello Everyone,

Just joined up with ATT, am glad to be apart of the community and around fellow 40k players/hobbiest's that are so passionate about tau.

I made a promise to my friend robin that my first Zeno's army would be Tau. I recently got hold of a really, really good deal for three NIB Riptides. That essentially pushed my original start date for sometime next year to now.

Before I start any project I like to do a lot of research into the models, styles of schemes, conversions, popular basing options, etc.. I look at lots of forums and pictures.

AgentArrow's Riptide caught me eye and brought me to this great place. Hope to integrate several Tsunami Class Riptides into my force. Only will be a extra $40.00 per riptide... :D

Here is some work have don thus far on test drones, am practicing the scheme to hopefully get the colors to blend right. I don't like painting large models right away, so I practice on smaller models.

I determined my core scheme colors last month to be Blue, Orange, White and Metal. Once I determined that I began determining the base scheme for the models. I always make my bases, before making the model so having the scheme decided is a huge factor in my process.

Am currently working on the highlighting and testing out different way to achieve the best effect for my scheme.

I use Air and Hand brushes so is a lot of options on blending, highlighting etc.. I run ITC tournament scene very competitively on the battlefield. That means my painting has to be at high level quality as well to be competitive.

The goal of my Tau force on the Painting side is to be noticeably conversioned, Painted to Pro Commission painter standards, to be magnetized for WYSIWUG purposes and to be super fun to play.

When I do army I go all out, my first army is space marines and I have a lot of space marines 15k+ points. Tau will likely hit the same level if not more, but will look a lot better since am starting them as a much more qualified player.

Here is a look at what is on my hobby table right now.

These drone have the basic four color applied, am now looking to do the blending/highlighting to make them pop more. I used the airbrush with tape,mold puddy to get the main colors on and touched up abit with a hand brush on these guys. Am concerned that i should of done further highlighting/blending with the air brush on the blue before applying the orange.

I have several unbuilt drone am looking to put together and try a different application approach for the highlights using the airbrush further.

Here is a closer look at my bases.

The Crystal colors are a salute to several of my favorite Video games.

Tiberium from Command and Conquer - Green Crystals
Minerals from starcraft - Blue Crystals
Ore from Starwars Battleground - Purple Crystals

I tested this scheme out using several materials, blends, highlgihts etc... I feel I have gotten the schem to be very solid with about 12+ active paints on the base with a lot of debth to them. The only areas I so me adding to is some dead trees, other colored tuffs, and some battlefield debis. This will be done as I work with large bases and start creating cool stances for the models.

Will be working on more droner for abit, Then fire warriors, crisis suits and broadsides. The crisis suits are the ones I am looking into more for conversions, i have the stuff for my broadside conversion decided already. The Riptides are also decided as well at this stage.

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Re: Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post#2 » Oct 07 2016 10:39

Welcome aboard Demorte!

The drones are looking great and follow the same crisp clean scheme as my own, with minimal weathering.

I tend to put a watered down wash across my base colours prior to highlighting to make the highlights standout a bit more. I use a a combination of brush and airbrush for my base coating, but then its brush work all the way for the edge highlighting.

Loving your bases, its rare for me to find someone else who, like me, make up their bases first and puts lots into them.

Keep up the good work, I'll definitely be following your progress.

Cheers,
Valaas

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#3 » Oct 07 2016 09:19

I have done some work on the fluff behind my Tau force. I posted it up in the census and here so I can have all my content in one spot. Would like to change my topic name to " 42nd M'yen Ka Kau'ui - Demorte's Tau Project Log " but have not found the option to change the title.

Will have another update soon showing off some new models I just got today for a great deal from a friend :)

--OPENING UPLINK TO DATABASE - AUTHORIZATION CODE: ****** --
--AUTHORIZATION CODE ACCEPTED. ACCESS GRANTED.--
--WELCOME COMMANDER--

DESIGNATION: 42nd M'yen Ka Kau'ui (Unforseen Strike Cadre)
FOUNDING: 997.M41
HOMEWORLD: Sa’cea
Cadre Function: Conquest of new worlds (Hot Headed and Ambitious)
Cadre Commander: Shas’O Kirna (Fire Caste Commander)
Cadre Personality: Vior’la and Or (Hot Headed and Ambitious)
Cadre Colours: Blue, Orange, White and Grey

Homeworld Description:

Sa'cea is a Tau sept, a star system within the Tau Empire.Sa'cea is a hot, densely populated Tau world. When the planet was originally settled by the Tau during the First Sphere of Expansion, the world was overrun with fierce flesh-eating predators that had to be hunted down and destroyed by the Fire Caste before settlers would dare to land.
It is highly militarised and has one of the greatest proportion of fire warriors in the Tau Empire.During the Second Sphere Expansion it produced more colonisation fleets than any other world

The Cadre:

The Greater Good above all... in honor of the Tau'va, at times terrible things must be done. The Tau Empire sometimes it becomes a necessary evil in the face pending threats for extermination to be the only logical choice. The 42nd M'yen Ka Kau'you a special cadre formed to purge worlds and expand the empire. Raise on their homeworld as infants the cadres elite soldier begin preparing for their role in the cadre, often raised aboard warships, orbital space station or isolated training facilities on Sa’Cea. AS a result the most soldiers have no connection to any but their brothers and sisters in arms. The 42nd having been founded during the first year of the third expansion, has committed itself fully to spreading the Tau empire. Wearing traditional armor with blue, orange and white colors the cadres distinctive ruthless aggression has lead to multiple accommodations from the Ethereal. When ordered the 42nd M'yen Ka Kau'you no hesitation in following through on its assignment.

+ HQ +
Aun'Shi

+ Elites +
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits - 9
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits with 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, - 3

+ Troops +Breacher Team - 10x Fire Warrior
Breacher Team - 10x Fire Warrior

Gue'vesa Auxiliary Team - 10x Gue'vesa'la
Gue'vesa Auxiliary Team - 10x Gue'vesa'la

Strike Team - 10x Fire Warrior

+ Fast Attack +
Tetra Scout Speeder Team - x3

Pathfinder Team - 10x Pathfinder
Pathfinder Team - 10x Pathfinder

+ Heavy Support +

TX7 Hammerhead Gunships Team - TX7 Hammerhead Gunship with 2x MV1 Gun Drone x3

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits Team - Broadside with High Yield Missile Pod x3

Drone-Net VX1-0
····Drones
12x MV7 Marker Drone [12x Markerlight]
12x MV1 Gun Drone [12x Twin-linked Pulse Carbine]
12x MV4 Shield Drone [12x Shield Generator]

Firebase Support Cadre
--XV105 Riptide Battlesuits x1
--XV88 Broadside Battlesuits with Twin-linked Heavy Rail Rifle x3

Firebase Support Cadre
--XV88 Broadside Battlesuits with High Yield Missile Pod x3

Firebase Support Cadre
--XV88 Broadside Battlesuits with High Yield Missile Pod x3
Heavy Retribution Cadre

KV128 Stormsurges Cadre
--KV128 Stormsurge x2 [····XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits
--Ghostkeel Shas'vre with 2x MV5 Stealth Drone,

1st Piranha Firestream Wing
--TX4 Piranha x4 - 1st Squad
--TX4 Piranha x4 - 2nd Squad
--TX4 Piranha x4 - 3rd Squad

2nd Piranha Firestream Wing
--TX4 Piranha x4 - 1st Squad
--TX4 Piranha x4 - 2nd Squad
--TX4 Piranha x4 - 3rd Squad

Riptide Wing
XV105 Riptide Battlesuits x3

The XV105 Riptide - Fluff by AgentArrow

The XV105 Tsunami is a special variant of the more common XV104 Riptide Battlesuit. They are deployed exclusively by the exploratory forces of Shas'O Ko'vash M'yen as a ground-level aid to survey crews in orbit. The most notable features are the up-armored front intakes and the enhanced XV9-inspired chest armor, complete with visual readouts for the pilot, which are also based on the XV9 platform. Additionally, to aid with the mobility required for an exploratory suit, a secondary center jetpack is mounted on the back of the armor. It incorporates a larger intake to aid with cooling and is engraved with the text "Caution: Nova Reactor" on one side and "ATT" on the other. This is a display of homage from the Fio who designed the enhancements as a recognition of the orbital in which he learned his trade. Other enhancements include an extended heavy burst cannon and increased shin armor to help aid the pilot in any sticky situations encountered while surveying planets.

Though it is not specifically intended for high levels of combat, the XV105 Tsunami has proven to be the most durable XV10 platform yet and other cadres are quickly requesting that this variant be incorporated into their own forces. Aside from increased survivability, field testing on the consequences to performance based on these upgrades has proven inconclusive.

CURRENT STATUS: Anxious, Calculating
CURRENT LOCATION: Sa’cea

MISSION STATUS: Refit and Stand by for further orders

Expanded Fluff - Updated 11-1-16

The sun was already long below the horizon as Shas’O Kirna surveyed the dark wasteland beyond the hive city limits. The vast world of Sa'Cea a barren, rocky landscape, harsh and unforgiving to all life. It is here where the 42nd M'yen Ka Kau'ui train its Cadre warriors for battle. Orders from T’au commanding Kirna to stand ready and refit for the next great expansion. This order to remain on the arid plain, not being accepted with open arms by the 42nd. The urge for battle growing as each day passed, yet still the obeyed all T’au.

The surrounding area filled with the sounds of missile bombardments as his cadre worked diligently to accomplish its task. Rows of a prototype XV90 Broadside Battle-suits, similar to the XV88 model with the exception of a few improvements such as Advanced targeting sensors, sleeker railgun design with improve energy capacity to increase firing time. The XV90, currently stood equipped with a prototype twin link High yield missile pod design. Each XV90 firing multiple volleys of four missiles per volley to gauge optimal range and target acquisition per missile.

“The necessary evil in the face pending threats, Soon shall we exterminate the heretics, and for T’au. “

Shas’ O Kirna commented to a group of officers behind him, taking in data and making adjustments calculations to XV90 pilots.

The Heretics of which he speaks refer to any foe that T’au condemned to execution, and any others who would stand against the Empire. Over the centuries many foes stood against the Empire. Why, a target needed to be purged never crossed the mines of the 42nd M'yen Ka Kau'ui all that mattered was complying with the standing order for T’au.

The 42nd a cadre made up of hardened warriors who were willing to sacrifice all glory for the service of the Tau’va. It was decided that the Unforeseen Strike Cadre was needed to combat the growing threat of Heretics, as a force that would be able to move swiftly and conduct high speed strikes with no mercy. The warriors that made up the 42nd preferred battles against the Imperium and their mighty Space marine chapters. No, other foe was considered in the same esteem of honour on the battlefield. Several battles against foes such as Daemons, Tyranids, Orks, and Eldar has occurred during the 42nd’s formation but no other foe measured up as the greatest prize/trophy for a 42nd M'yen Ka Kau'ui warrior as a helmet from a fallen space marine.

It was hoped that a more sober, and apathetic attitude towards killing would make each warrior able to perform not only the purging of worlds, but hunting of renegades/traitors to the empire an easy task. Likewise the slaughtering the civilian populations and prisoners/deserters who did not repent their ways and accept the free gift of joining all Tau’va.

While this Cadre was formed during the second expansion to follow the call for great good to cover all the galaxy in name of T’au, never before had a cadre been assembled for the purposes of pure destruction and ruthlessness. Sa’cea the homeworld of warriors, had been the logical choice to rally such a Cadre. Its warriors raise from birth to bring honor to T’au. The price being no mercy, no retreat, no fear under any condition. Victory or Death for the great good of all T’au such was their sacrifice. Forever they would be sent into acts of violence and against terrible foes, with only hopes of recognition of glory, and valor. For all purposes, they were simply a military killing team, made to do all the dirty work so others of higher morals could create a greater empire without its average citizen ever knowing the full scale of the price for Expansion.

The commander of this force felt so close to their next great goal, only a few more months of development left in the new Tsunami battlesuits, all Fio'Vre arrow’s calculations being integrated into the strike forces Riptide and Crisis suit battle units. The prototype XV90 Broadside being of pure 42nd warrior development, though rumor spoke of outside developers being asked to produce pieces of the new broadside.

Still Kirna continued pushing the Sa’cea industries to produce suits and ships of the fleet at an unsustainable rate till achieving full Cadre strength again. Some odd quirks about Shas’ O Kirna the commanding officer have been noted by some warriors, such as repeating himself multiple times, holding onto small objects and arranging items into line or other patterns. Kirna however has proven his zeal and earned commendations multiple times in the officers academy and been decorated on the battlefield many times as a skilled Riptide pilot. A native to the Sa'Cea Sept steeped in knowledge of urban warfare, bloodied from long months of constant battling. Kirna has shown only love and an almost poetic joy for battles, with an odd belief that battles contain a beauty only true warriors of T’au will ever see.

--UPLINK CLOSED--
Last edited by Demorte on Nov 01 2016 11:27, edited 2 times in total.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#4 » Oct 07 2016 09:21

Valaas wrote:
Loving your bases, its rare for me to find someone else who, like me, make up their bases first and puts lots into them.

Thank you mate :)

Am happy to meet someone else the is utilizing similar tools and has a similar process. I am gonna need to check out your work Valaas.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#5 » Oct 08 2016 07:42

Project log update,

Am gonna be doing some blending and edge highlighting today on a single drone. Then utilize some metal medium and see how the effect turns outs.

Gonna now share some of the models I have on hand waiting in Que

Got these three lovely riptides waiting to be converted into the VX105 Riptide.

Also have these fire warriors from the kill team set. They selling dirt cheap right now, from people who only want the marine portion and booklets.

Was at the game store yesterday and happened on a sweet deal from a good buddy of mine that has added some more troops to me growing force.

Now have a Tau starter box set and another Tau Kill Team. I also order a bunch of other leg bits and torsos off ebay to get the most out of the bits for Strike teams and breacher teams.

Am gonna start cleaning up 1 or two fire warriors today as well and start testing that scheme out.

Hoping I can get some decent conversion work in on fire warriors.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#6 » Oct 10 2016 09:31

Hey Everyone,

Another update on the scheme front.

Have made some progress on getting the final theme set for my fire warriors. I think I will likely be integrating two more variants of the scheme in for Breachers and pathfinders though down the road.

This is the current scheme am pushing toward, thats coming together to create a good contrast.

Still working on several parts, I paint then assemble my models. Am not happy with the gun yet, and will try a different approach with the armor. Perhaps doing it after I apply the brown base color. My touch ups of the blue armor ruined the airbrush highlights.

I had worked on a white and blue theme. The issue i ran into on this is i applied my white wrong and learned I cant just put a wash over the model like marines.

Have reviewed several ways to fix my whites, so will try those and attack that scheme for my breachers here soon.
These tau have different curves...

Hope to have more for you all later.

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 11 2016 05:32

Not sure if it will help, but my recipe for painting white (GW paints)...

- Base with Celestra Grey
- Wash with Nuln Oil
- Layer up with Ulthuan Grey
- White Scar for the highlight.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Valaas

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#8 » Oct 11 2016 08:39

That is a great scheme actually,

Will pick up the Celestra Grey and Ulthean Grey here today from the game store and give that a try on the models.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#9 » Oct 11 2016 10:02

UPDATE!!!

Alright my Cadres in arms! Have done it! well 95% of it!

I made it this far...

Then I had a road block, I was hating the model still... just was not in love with it... It lacked my style... The style I put into my marines and was no conversions.

So i asked my self the questions I ask my self when I am hating a model. What do I hate about it?

Then it hit me! I hated the pulse rifle not the colors..

So my first official conversion with Tau! The Pulse Carbine! a much smaller and more compacted version of the Pulse Rifle with all the same abilities and uses even less energy with a higher performance rate. Allowing my firewarrior's the ability to stay out in the combat zone much longer without needing to refit.

Now you say! well Demorte this doesn't look 95% done... Well BAM!!

Got the model done, it just started to come together once I was happy with its carbine.

Have some more bits to finish up, I always add the accessories last. Hoping to have my first one that ma happy with done tomorrow sometime.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#10 » Oct 12 2016 08:12

I did abit a work on my Photography studio today,

Wanted to share the difference in the picture of my miniatures. Is nothing different in the miniature from my last post, just the studio light box.

Now this is just with my phone, I havea Nikkon d5000 DSLR that I will be testing out with the light studio soon too.

Figure as my painting improve so does my photography. Am gonna pick up a few different background and a small display board too.

Hoping that this will help with my forum posts on here, Ammobucker and my blog.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#11 » Oct 12 2016 11:05

A good light box will do you wonders for taking photos - as you have shown here.
It looks like you have a good number of diffuse lamps, but the pictures still seem like they could use a little more light. If you have a remote trigger I would recommend doing a long exposure shot and seeing how that looks for you. If you don't, try it anyway and just be as gentile as possible pushing the button.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#12 » Oct 13 2016 08:57

Long exposure?

I will have to do some research on that one.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#13 » Oct 14 2016 12:39

Liking the hessian cammo idea - great setup in your studio too :)

Seriously large amount of large objects in your painting queue - really looking forward to those! :D

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#14 » Oct 26 2016 09:46

Tael wrote:Liking the hessian cammo idea - great setup in your studio too :)

Seriously large amount of large objects in your painting queue - really looking forward to those! :D

Thank you very much is likely going to be a constant theme in the army.

Is indeed a lot, but that how I do things.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#15 » Oct 26 2016 09:55

UPDATE!

Ordered several Crisis suit conversion parts. Will be getting some more parts from agentarrow soon but is a pricey order so been saving.

Working on a new style of base, the first idea seem to plain to me. It is nice but felt very mid card level which isn't what am going for in this force.

Utilize several old schemes ideas and improved the techniques. I use a similar base on my space marine army.

Waiting for my crystals that I order, am replacing my sprue based crystals with a actual 28mm basing crystal I found online. I think they will look much better with my bases.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#16 » Oct 26 2016 10:08

That is a beautiful base, and I'm glad to hear you like my stuff enough to grab some. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Once you do get your parts, would you mind doing a review post for me to link in the 3D resource thread?

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#17 » Oct 26 2016 10:21

Thank you, am glad it is eye catching enough to where others like them.

Yes, for sure man will glad post a few reviews of your stuff for sure. Am at the 150.00 to 200.00 range right now. First order probably will be 3 crisis suit and 3 riptide conversions.

Am slightly sad there isn't a broadside conversion opRion am gonna be doing about 16 Broadsides.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#18 » Oct 26 2016 10:30

I don't have a Broadside model, I stopped running them entirely after 5th edition. My next upgrade is going to be for the Ghostkeel. If I get a Broadside model, I'd be happy to whip up a conversion kit.

Return to “Project Logs”