Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post#91 » Dec 23 2016 01:27

Man quite a haul and amazing amount of work completed. Been buried under end of year projects.

The helmets on the Gue'vesa of mine is an acquired taste haha - mainly to blend in with the Tau helm :)

I have a hammered hamerhead that is destined to be an objective terrain peice like the crushed Rhino by forgeworld.

What is technique for going ahead on stripping large models?

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#92 » Dec 23 2016 08:02

Tael wrote:Man quite a haul and amazing amount of work completed. Been buried under end of year projects.

The helmets on the Gue'vesa of mine is an acquired taste haha - mainly to blend in with the Tau helm :)

I have a hammered hamerhead that is destined to be an objective terrain peice like the crushed Rhino by forgeworld.

What is technique for going ahead on stripping large models?

Thank you :)

That makes sense on the helmets, they kinda goofy but cool :D

Nice! I hope to see how that develops Teal! Love terrain

Yes, this is a post from my 40k blog - How to Strip minatures its my step by step product for product process.
http://immateriumpainting.blogspot.com/ ... t-off.html

Is everything you should need to know about exactly how I strip models down.

Got up early this morning 5:30am started cleaning parts.
Make shift hobby table 6 hours away from home at my in laws.

:P

Love this hobby!

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#93 » Dec 24 2016 01:26

Toured Mall Of America for a good chunk of day and had a lot of Hobby time.

I rise early and don't tend to nap during the day. Whole family napped after the mall for 3 hours.

I took advantage of that time and got every model i brought with's parts cleaned and off the sprue.

Quite happy with the result.

I then started on another Broadside, doing some of my battle damage techniques that I use on marines. Have gotten to a much more comfortable position with the Tau. Am very comfortable taking the hobby knife and drill to them. :Do

Now things get fun!

Have a few different battle damage results going on from small niks, AP rounds, and explosive marks.

I have some great damage holes on the model too, will see how this guy turns out. I have some ideas for other broads sides with half a arm missing or busted legs in mind too. Will see how that goes.

Next will be to put the commanders together or ghostkeel.

The broadside is fully able to be disassembled. Into 11 parts to make painting with airbrush easy.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#94 » Dec 24 2016 05:57

NIce man, I have a preference visually for the all missile Broadside, not a fan of the underslung railgun - still an original shoulder mounted kinda guy :D

Also, Away-Hobby gear is always fun trading ideas. Mine is a Macbook plastic insert, the spacings and impressions are perfect for a paint tray, water glass and pots tray. It is amazing how well it suits a completely unexpected purpose beyond making my Mac look pretty when I received it hah.

In general I use these bit tray boxes - Here..

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#95 » Dec 24 2016 07:09

Those are pretty sweet, bits boxes look very compact :)

That sounds and looks like a great setup teal :D

I may do a few other broadside conversions as different Broadside varients. My force will likely use a variety of prototype models giving me a excuse to do some different things.

Got to work on the ghostkeel I was planning to start next years.

Image[/URL]

This is the Stance I will be doing for my ghostkeel. Maybe abit different then the one below but very close.

Got all the parts magnitized, am planning to do the stance similar to the Titan fall poster. I have LEDS coming as well, I plan to do the full cockpit and go have a glowing light inside. I likely will have a pilot on inside and a tech on the outside.

Lights are from http://poweredplay.net

These guys sponsored my tournament and have agreed to again for my GT. So figured would get two small vehicle kits and LED my ghost keels. Gonna start small and then work my way up to other effects.
Last edited by Demorte on Dec 27 2016 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#96 » Dec 25 2016 10:36

Hoping all the LEDS will arrived before I get home on Wednesday. I will have Wednesday evening, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday off work once am back from family vacation.

My mornings haven't changed still rise early so am getting a lot of progress done on some stuff.

I got several 40k models and new Winsor and Newton series 7 brushes for Christmas eve. One of the models was a Pirhana NIB.

I got a half built one, Thursday from used models game store. I decided to practice one of my conversion ideas on this one, before I used the NIB one. Am gonna run a list with 20 pirhanas is two firestorm wings.

So need to build 19 more all conversions.

Here is the concept!

The cuts are not as even as I would like, I really needed my whole hobby desk and my dremel. The overall concept is very solid and looks exactly like I want it too. Cutting the wings is the hardest part, the rest of the steps that annoyed me are one I won't face doing it from a NIB kit.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#97 » Dec 25 2016 08:51

I am snowed in for the night, is a huge blizzard going over North Central states in the Midwest. This means no Christmas party and lots of Hobby time.

That being said I did some work on solving at small problem.

The jet packs for 3d prints, designed by Agent Arrow due to the printing process comes with a hole circle on one side. I think I have found one possible solution.

I got word from my sister watching my house, that a package came inside all my ripetide parts are within. :D will very soon have 3 Tsunami Riptides.

I then did some final clean up on my Gue'Vesa

After that I have pretty much worked on all the set projects I brought with me. The Pirhana was something I didn't have with me when I headed on vacation but I had a design in mind for one. All this free time allowed me to complete that too.

Now with the storm am undertaking something else on my " future log "

The XV819-C "Riot" suit

It has been one of my other inspirations for a Crisis suit as pioneered by LEW_b81 for a long time.

Found his work 6 or 8 months ago not really sure, it was before I started the Tau force and joined ATT.

I typically like to get permission from conversion artists before I incorporate there design into my armies. Attempts have been made with dead ends, by faith he's a ATT member and will chime in later.

Either way as is custom i credit the original designer out of respect for their work.

Pictures are of my model, as is slowly copy the process from pictures.

Fluff of the suit is also produced by the original designer.

Part 1
The Riot suit is used for suppression of local populaces on planets that have accepted the Greater Good. There is usually a transition period where uprisings happen and protests need to be quelled. That's when the Riot suit comes into play. Taller than a regular Crisis suit, it's designed for maximum visual impact on rioters. The suit is designed for dropping from altitude right into hot spots. It also includes several additional systems, although at the limit of jetpack manoeuvrability (which in tightly packed streets, it doesn't actually need). There is an advanced targeting system, which allows the pilot to focus on the highest threats, also including advanced facial recognition to help to process criminals. There is an audio system which serves two purposes: to instruct and enforce the law, but also to use amplified sound waves to disable crowds. With one pinpoint blast of intense noise, a small group of rioters can be forced to their knees. The suit also features heavier front armour than a regular Crisis suit, with a lightweight shield generator that essentially works as a riot shield, destroying any home made projectiles thrown at the suit. Lastly it incorporates a photon flash suppressor to further incapacitate any lawbreakers that try to assault the Crisis suit.
This close ranged suppression equipment fits perfectly with a battlefield role. This suit has been refitted with two Fusion Blasters instead of the more traditional water cannon in order to become a threat to hostile enemy forces. The Fusion Monat suit is seen as a suicidal unit by Tau forces, and is only deployed when strictly necessary. The high amount of return fire has lead to this refit being particularly suited to this role. A high cost shield generator and heavy ablative armour shielding has been proven to be an ineffective use of resources, leading to the cheaper "Riot" suit being favoured instead. Upon landing the suit will focus on high priority targets such as heavy vehicles or emplacements that are stopping the rest of the Tau force from advancing. When its primary targets are taken care of, the secondary systems help it to hold out against the inevitable counter-attack from enemy forces, hopefully buying enough time before reinforcements have arrived.

Designed by Lew_b81

I utilized the original torso of the suit, the took parts from the burst cannon, and a Missle pods casing for the front plates to give it a heavier plating.

I cut in to the back side to mount a jet pack, am gonna take a space marine jump pack when I get home. Will add a jump pack booster on either side.

Lots of updates and multiple projects going on mates. Keep in on posting and sharing my friends.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#98 » Dec 27 2016 12:09

Played a fun narrative game today. Had a Minor victory with the Tau :)

KROOT KILLALOT

Scenario

Primary - Relic " immobile " essentially is a single objective have to be within 3 inches.
2ndary - Kroot Killed points

Sub objectives - Slay Warlord, solo blood and big game hunter

Board: hammer and anvil

Space marines vs Tau 1250 points

Tactical choice must be made based off what models can see and knowledge gained from friendly models.

Deployment is 1 warlord and 2 troop choices

Other units are put in outflank or deepstrike reserves starting turn 2.

Narrative Dialogue.

On the forrest planet of Fou'rin a lone beacon from a observation probe has become reactivated by the local inhabitants. This prode having been sent to scan the world for possible habitation for the Imperium long ago. It's signal reaching both Space Marine and Tau forces has sparked a reason. Patrols sent out from both factions with the objective of securing the probe for its data on a planet populated by Kroot tribes with no loyalty to all Tau'va. These Kroot having made the probe a idol accidently activated the probe as the moved it to their place of worship.

Upon landing the patrols becoming under attack by the local Kroot. Reinforcements are requested as the combat continues both force realize they not only engaged with the inhabitants but a more familiar foe as well.

8 units of Kroot in groups of three are spread through out the board with Stealth and Shrouded rules. The Kroot hade full turns after each player turn. If a unit of Kroot is killed they come back in outflanking reserves on their following turn. Each player alternates taking control of the Kroot leading into their oppents turn.

Kroot will engage closest unit and make Tactical decisions based on destroying that unit.

Both players count each Kroot killed during the match. Who ever kills the most Kroot win 2ndary objective.

Primarily is worth 6 points
2ndary is worth 6 points
Sub objectives worth 1 point each.

Results 8-6 won on sub objectives.

The Board

The objective with wild kroot

The force

Had a good haul for Christmas. I got some good stuff to continue the hobby.

Have a family Christmas party tomorrow will see if I get a random card or something.

Firenze
Shas

Post#99 » Dec 27 2016 04:58

That Titanfall Ghostkeel is awesome, mind if I use a similar idea for one I am about to build?

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#100 » Dec 27 2016 04:59

Firenze wrote:That Titanfall Ghostkeel is awesome, mind if I use a similar idea for one I am about to build?

GO for it! Am borrowing the idea too.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#101 » Dec 28 2016 08:38

Parts for riptides have arrived! So am starting work on them now! Few parts are missing, so have submitted a claim.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#102 » Dec 28 2016 10:08

You seem to have pretty poor luck with these prints. At least their customer service is good, so you'll be on your way in no time.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#103 » Dec 28 2016 11:18

Yeah, I do not know why that is :/

Haven't been having best luck with shipments lately... is possible something I ordered was on a semi truck that caught fire 3 weeks ago too...

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#104 » Dec 29 2016 06:14

Update! Upon Update! Upon Update!

The factories of Sa'cea have been busy this morning and afternoon.

Have a whole riptide wing formation being worked on eventually I will work on a 2nd ripetide wing.

I still need to develop fluff for the pilots and a name for the wing. Am open to ideas!

As always I start work on the base and the leg pose at the same time. This ensures the base will fit the stance and allow for placement of other items

The story being told is of The Unforseen Strike force " Tau " engaging entrenched imperial guard troops on a ancient battlefield. The battlefield is covered in rusted debris and fresh battlements. As the battle wages on Black Templar are called in to counter push the advancing Tau forces. My base scheme is attempting to paint this story further.

Enjoy!

Riptide 1 Base

Once I picked a pose I started to develop the structure to mount it.

Once I get the main contact points decided I add the pins to the base, not the feet. I will use green stuff, glue and texture paint to mount the finished model to the base pins.

I then begin adding debris to the base and other texture to make it uneven.

Once all key parts are set as I like, I then apply sand to the base.

The entrenchment is mostly finished, once sand dries I will add the 2nd layer of debris. These are items that would be sitting on top. In this case Sandbags and tarps.

Ripetide base 2

On this base is a mix of entrenchments vs open battlefield.
I utilize similar approach as I did above to build up the base.

Ripetide base 3

This one is an escape hatch or entrance to under ground bunker. Will be adding a lot of Sandbags behind the door to build a fortification.

I used half an imperial guard and greenstuff to do the guts. Pour guard was hit with a explosive round.

This is the expanded ledge for bags to be set on top of later.

I know this is a very long update but I been busy. Will be working on all three ripetides at same time to keep uniformity.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#105 » Dec 30 2016 12:10

Nice update. Those bases are looking great. Are you using a generic oven dried clay to bulk up the ground work or is that something else?

I can't wait to see those Riptides painted!

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#106 » Dec 30 2016 01:54

The Clays I use is a Air dray Clay or a Slow Drying clay. This clay works a lot like poster board puddy texture wise. Its like two bucks at hobby lobby marketed for kids. I like the slow drying cause it allows for me to mount and to press things in even after I apply the pva. This helps for when I add crystals, metal debris and a the riptides feet. So the have a dug in feel, since a Ripetide is heavy it should sink a bit into the ground. If I press into the clay after the base is fully painted I use citadel testure paint to clean it up.

Some of the rock fixtures are baked clay or Drywall plaster I just have a can of random shapes from that process.

:)

UPDATE!!

Riprtide 1 - This one I did in a similar stance to Agent Arrows as a Salute to my friend :)

Ripetide 2 - This one is in a perched stance, it will be kinda climbing up a rock. Out of the three I dislike this stance the most. It looks dramatic and once its on the base I may like it a lot more. I don't hate it but I feel I could of done better.

Ripetide 3 - This one is in a landing stance, almost a hover as if is lightly landing and intimidating terrified foes.

Right now am applying the first layer of Blue as I do on all my other models. Am hoping to get all three fully painting in the full blue scheme tonight. Then work on adding the Grey, White and Orange colors tomorrow. Will see how it goes, next riptides I do will not have the torso magnetized instead will keep the pin, but replace it with metal rode and make it a bit deeper. The magnets are not enough to hold the whole weight of riptide torso. Its a very top heavy model so I ended up just gluing them.

Normally I would paint the model in various parts, but I miss calculated the space needed for the gun options. They where rubbing against the jet packs or knee pads. This scrapped the primer, and If it scraps the primer it will do the same with multiple layers of carefully applied blue.. So I had to remove the jet packs, readjust them so they didn't scrap things etc... by time that was done had messed up the first primer coat and just said screw it am gluing parts.

The models are still in a stage where I can reach all the places I need to for painting. My approach will change on the next batch. This is all minor stuff that wont effect the end result. Its just me taking notes for later reference to optimize the process.

Got the blue done on one riptide still two left and all the other parts.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#107 » Dec 31 2016 01:34

:P

Got some Sandbags and tarps put on the base drying for another 24 hours.

Got some progress on the suits.

Takes a long time, to get the layers built up.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#108 » Jan 01 2017 10:11

They're looking great with that vibrant blue and orange.
Sorry for taking so long, holidays and such.
Anyway, this is what I was thinking. Something basically like a miniature Tidewall gunrig (or maybe something like a smaller piranha with a missile/rail turret on the back? I can model that too). I think the Tau would be more likely to use something like this compared to a foxhole.

Return to “Project Logs”