Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post#109 » Jan 02 2017 12:05

Demorte wrote:The Clays I use is a Air dray Clay or a Slow Drying clay. This clay works a lot like poster board puddy texture wise. Its like two bucks at hobby lobby marketed for kids. I like the slow drying cause it allows for me to mount and to press things in even after I apply the pva. This helps for when I add crystals, metal debris and a the riptides feet. So the have a dug in feel, since a Ripetide is heavy it should sink a bit into the ground. If I press into the clay after the base is fully painted I use citadel testure paint to clean it up.

Some of the rock fixtures are baked clay or Drywall plaster I just have a can of random shapes from that process.

:

Good to know! I'll keep my eye out for it next time I am doing a supply run, thanks.

Riptides are coming along beautifully.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#110 » Jan 02 2017 12:40

Agentarrow wrote:They're looking great with that vibrant blue and orange.
Sorry for taking so long, holidays and such.
Anyway, this is what I was thinking. Something basically like a miniature Tidewall gunrig (or maybe something like a smaller piranha with a missile/rail turret on the back? I can model that too). I think the Tau would be more likely to use something like this compared to a foxhole.

That makes a lot of sense and wow that's way more detailed sketch then I ever considered. I think it is possible Arrow...!

The scale of it would need to to be abit smaller then the actual 60mm maybe 55mm leaving just abit of clearance. Then can mount the Missle pods under it or on the gun rig.

I would be interested in seeing the Pirhana one for sure, but don't wanna over tax your time. Still looking for ideas on my Pirhana conversions.

Tear-

Thank you :)

I hope the products help you.

......Update!......

I had some issues with the liquid mask that I used for the lines. I will likely go back to clay and tape.

I put two layers of gloss varnished down on the suits, then the mask and when removing the mask paint peeled off. To point it ruined the scheme at least with my sharp eye and very harsh critique of my work.

Thankfully I have been able to fix it and am back on track.

Unfortunately I am pretty much back to where I was a day and a half ago with applying the orange. Will be doing it likely be hand just to make sure it is done correctly this time. I don't wanna spend to much time on this step. Still much to do on these suits.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#111 » Jan 04 2017 03:26

Demorte wrote:Image

Parts for riptides have arrived! So am starting work on them now! Few parts are missing, so have submitted a claim.

Missing parts from last week update!! Submitted my claim no issues at all. Shapeways is great some how instead of them sending me the missing parts they just refunded me store credit. :D I am a happy camper!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#112 » Jan 04 2017 06:44

Good to hear there was no issue. Their customer service tends to be really good about those kinds of things. One bonus is that during their investigation they discovered an error with my file which I was able to correct. Nothing big, but it should print better in the future.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#113 » Jan 05 2017 09:39

Oh, that is good to know that the found something else too. For sure will make the next batch I order go smoother. :)

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#114 » Jan 08 2017 05:33

Have made some progress, I made a pretty big mistake and ended up stripping all the ripetides down. I took the opportunity to do more Magnetizing am much higher happier with that aspect of the models.

Arms, jets, all guns, and heads it will help for posing and storange.

Picked up a new orange base paint.

Won't be using liquid mask this time.

The 42nd was also dispatched to a distant world, a deep space probe indicated a demononic fisher forming on Galin a near by rogue sphere.

Upon arrival the local inhabitants had already fallen victim to the first wave of demon forces.

The 42nd lead by Shas'Gilnor took up bombardment formations and began to hammer the foes with heavy Missle fire. The probes indicated 60% casualties after the first bombardment. A large amount of demons arrived through the Fisher. Repeated bombardment resulted in heavy casualties with remaining forces abandoning the planet.

The 42nd suffered minimal damage, with exceptional to one stormsurge leaving with heavy systems damage.

Major Victory!

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#115 » Jan 09 2017 04:48

:biggrin:

Doing some work on the tetras, had some damage to my Airbrush nozzle. Ordered another and a ultrasonic to clean the parts better too.

Finally got a sure fire process for my orange, much easier to apply and get the same result.

Base paint, was just missing a solid base paint between two paint layers.

Started on the base structure too.

Glad to finish up these tetras a good addition to the collection. Next question is what Forgeworld unit do I add to my collection next l.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#116 » Jan 09 2017 11:52

Update!

Bases are sanded!

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#117 » Jan 14 2017 09:48

Update! Always be posting!

Had another battle using the reserve forces borrow from a friend.

Lost by 1 point due to alpha legion warlord hopping. Killed the warlord 4 times in that fight. Learned enough practicing to stand proud and know I didn't waste my money :)

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#118 » Jan 14 2017 11:28

I really like how you built up the bases on the Tetras and hid the flight stem. Gives them a great appearance of barely skimming the surface, which is how I imagine them moving across the field of battle.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#119 » Jan 15 2017 02:37

Tearphoenix wrote:I really like how you built up the bases on the Tetras and hid the flight stem. Gives them a great appearance of barely skimming the surface, which is how I imagine them moving across the field of battle.

Thank you :)

Am pretty happy with how they mesh with the environment.

Update on ripetide bases!

I used some clay to keep the still water from running off the base

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#120 » Jan 15 2017 08:15

Update! Mates! Red alert!

Ripetide wing is nearly done!

The bases turned out great, hoping not to good!

Had a part on my Airbrush hey damaged replacement part was delayed due to snow storm. Once it get here will finish up the ripetide and complete the mounting process.

Then will get some pluck foam tray's to protect them.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#121 » Jan 20 2017 08:12

Replacement parts for the air brush made it in finally got things rebase painted on the riptides.

With the main coat applied again, I finally mounted the models to the bases. The parts being magnitized make painting them with air brush for other details much easier.

I will put plastic wrap over the finished based when doing other air brush affects on the legs and torso.

I added a sunken top layer of clay, pva glue and sand pressing the model with mounting pin/ super glue into the mixture. This will give a weighted feel to the ripetides. As they are a heavy mech they would dig into the ground.

Other parts have been completed to paint of having main base coat on them. I will begin adding other two main scheme colors once sand drys and is painted up matching the base.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#122 » Jan 20 2017 10:22

:sad:

Only issue am really having is the galling guns arnt lining up right... they are very long so they are all hanging slightly off the base. Two of them though are touching the tabletop. So that can lead to scrapping the barrels...

Would be nice if they were shorted by half a inch.... contemplating shorting them... Likely won't they expensive...

Sanded blended perfectly

Will be very happy when these 3 are done and they blend with the bases a lot better...

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#123 » Jan 22 2017 10:39

Plastic wrapped the bases to protect during other painting stages.

Getting closer to fun!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#124 » Feb 07 2017 02:42

Man, been caught up with work - great to check the thread and see these impressive titans strutting about the painting table :D

Nice choice in sourced parts.

And.. Tetras, big thumbs up :D

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#125 » Feb 20 2017 03:19

Thank you Tael!

Been abit busy with other projects but have made some more progress.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#126 » Mar 05 2017 03:13

Oh wow - you using a sponge for the weathering? Only stand out is the "cog", your work makes that part stand out as not nearly as detailed up. Very impressive and I like the head choice too.

Return to “Project Logs”