Babies First Army: And you can too!

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Babies First Army: And you can too!

Post#1 » Mar 05 2017 02:28

So I started my work log in my intro thread here:
http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25318

I finally decided to redo my color scheme from purple and blue/green to this:

I like it a lot more. I think I'm going to leave it flat, and just do lenses and glowy bits for now. Later on once in better at painting I'll worry about wet blending and highlights and stuff.

Sorry for the washed out photos, I'll try to take better photos when I'm somewhere with better lighting.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Babies First Army: And you can too!

Post#2 » Mar 05 2017 03:55

Fair idea on flat work, can always do more to it later be it weathering etc.

I do like the light source work - very smooth - the white helm temple side glow is great.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Mar 05 2017 05:42

That means a lot coming from you thank you! Your urban cadre was the inspiration for the glow, and the color scheme ;) Hands down my favorite Tau color scheme, and I've spent over 6 hours scouring Google for inspiration.

I did try to emulate your UV glow, but I couldn't get it to pop on the grey without looking too overdone. :)

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Mar 05 2017 05:50

Sometimes it's nice to take it to that next level because if you think about it you're going to be looking at it at least 2+ feet away because it'll be on the table top. There have been several times I thought I messed something up but the further away I got the less noticeable it became. Especially on the little troop models.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Mar 05 2017 07:35

I agree. I do want to take the paint scheme further, I just want to figure out how to do it subtly. Tau are interesting because of the angular details.

For instance, note the right leg on the Riptide and how the natural light hits it. I don't need to do too much because it already naturally creates the effects of shading.

Maybe some really light battle damage, or maybe some dry brushing to make it feel more metallic, I'm not sure yet. I feel like it could use something, just not sure what yet.

I did find my old gundam model bits which I might use here and there to add some spice, but I don't want to overdo it. Less is definitely more on this army.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Mar 06 2017 05:46

First base! ;)

Haven't glued down the tufts yet, considering a more brown gravel color.

As for the plastic base, i think im going to leave it black.

It has been suggested to me that I try a more brown dried grass tuft to compliment the tans in the suit, which I think I might try to see which I like more.

What's your opinion guys?

JubJub
Shas

Post#7 » Mar 07 2017 10:32

I love your paint job! That color scheme is extremely good looking. Great work.
"Gun Drone, get down!"
-Space Marine

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Mar 07 2017 11:55

Hey thanks! I have a lot of basing left to do. My local store ran out of agrax earthshade, so I'm going to roll with this until they're in stock again.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Mar 07 2017 04:09

I think the current base style you documented in the last photo works really well with your chosen colour scheme - it might not fit the tan accents, but it fits the primary colour perfectly, which is probably more important. The greenish tuffs also provide a good contrast with the darker gravel (and by extension the darker primary colour on the model).

The black rim fits well with it too, so I second the idea of leaving it black. I would however suggest perhaps giving a quick touchup on the areas where the greys from the sand/gravel has spilled onto the rim, since it is fairly noticeable in the picture.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Mar 07 2017 06:54

Oh absolutely. I Still want to add the slightest bit of agrax, just to break up the ground ever so slightly. It probably won't be noticeable immediately, but if I've learned anything in the past 2 weeks, it's the eye naturally picks up the most minute details if only subconsciously.

I still have to paint my firewarriors, drones, ethereal, shasui, and devilfish but I couldn't help myself when I got my basing materials.

Thanks everyone for the boost of confidence and tips! Being a new player, painting these things has been the most intimidating thing. I didn't want to be the new person who couldn't be arsed to at least try to do a good job on painting, let alone base the army.

I gotta set my own standards. I promised myself not to play until painted, now im setting my bar higher and adding based to that list. Its giving me the opportunity to learn more about the game and my army. Ive watched every single miniwargaming.com batrep with Tau in it, read up on all the Tau forgeworld minis, Farsight Enclave formations, and many other videos on how to beat Tau, as well as many of the tactics on how to play Tau on this very site.

I figure, the higher my standards for myself, the more well rounded player, and modeler, I can try to become.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Mar 07 2017 08:32

They look great! I really like the scheme you have chosen. I think Tau look really good in grays and whites with cool colors.

As for the grass tufts, you could consider tufts that mix a bit of tan and green, but overall I don't think the green tufts look out of place at all. Basing is my favorite part of painting models. One, I enjoy the actual process, but it also brings a sense of completion.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your units. Keep up the great work!

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Mar 07 2017 08:38

Thank you! I completely agree. It's definitely the icing on the cake. Bases are like the picture frame of the artwork. Sure you can slap a cool poster on the wall, but it looks so much better with a good frame around it. ;)

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Mar 09 2017 11:08

Quick update:

Still have to touch up the base on the Riptide. Went a little too heavy on the highlight of the rocks, plus still waiting on my game store to get the blue and agrax paints in.

Also, did some modding to my devilfish. I'll post pics once it's primed and the greenstuff dries.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Mar 10 2017 12:12

Again, still need to detail then base, but here are my pathfinders and fire warriors. I'll try to post more tomorrow, sleepy now :)

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Mar 10 2017 07:41

What's that scheme you got on the pathfinders? I've been considering making my pathfinders look sneakier and something like that would work wonderfully.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Mar 10 2017 07:56

I don't know if it's an actual scheme or not, I just kinda made it up :P feel free to use it! The paints I used are

Stegadon scale green
Skavenblight since
Fenrisian grey
Karak stone
wazdakka red

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#17 » Mar 11 2017 05:43

Looking good and it's cool to see certain units in the urban grey - gives me an idea on the kits I am yet to put together! haha.

I agree with Kakapo a few posts back, your initial base idea is good - though I then agree that a dash of dusty brown will tie in the grass better and give a subtle shade shift from the colour scheme of the models.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Mar 11 2017 05:47

Broke down and bought a Broadside. I felt that magnetizing the arms was going to hinder the pose, so I just went straight misslefists. Also wanted to make a custom head.

I still have some touching up of the green stuff, plus some minor details to do, but feedback is always welcome!

Return to “Project Logs”