The run to 8th edition

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

The run to 8th edition

Post#1 » Apr 22 2017 11:28

Hey, going to start a thread where we can discuss the news going into 8th edition. Games Workshop just did a big announcement in that regard. Looks like the game will have a similar template to AoS in regards to a generals handbook with the three variants of play and be dropping codes. GW has also said core rules will be free on the day of launch.

Czar Ziggy

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: The run to 8th edition

Post#2 » Apr 22 2017 11:36

The link to the FAQs is here.

This answers some of the questions people may have at the moment before further information is released.

2 points have initially caught my eye:
How can I get the rules?
We’re going to make it easier than ever to get your hands on the rules and start playing. The core rules for the game will be free, and you’ll have several options on how you get your hands on the full rulebook. Watch this space for more.

What happens to my codexes?
The rules in our current range of Warhammer 40,000 codexes aren’t compatible with the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. These books will be going off sale very soon. If you do want to pick any up, now’s the time – as all of the great hobby content and background information will be as valid as ever.

So the BRB will be free but the Codex will have to be replaced as the rules will not be valid. Time for a new Codex then...

And with my Mod hat on please remember the first rule on this forum...
1) Treat each other with respect whilst using family-appropriate language.

The Admin team may warn, delete, or ban users whose posts consistently fail to meet the criteria explained in our Membership Primers, which all members of ATT are expected to have read and understood before posting.

Carry on ;)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Apr 22 2017 11:46

Now it all makes sense that the Tau 7th ed codex is basically just a 6.5 version. It also was the last Codex that got an update of all the ones that already existed. Everything after that were either supplements or completely new factions. ;)

Can't wait for 8th edition. Everything i've seen looks really good so far but it obviously is only a very small part of what it will be in the end.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#4 » Apr 22 2017 11:48

The other thing to say and get out of the way as well is please no wish-listing for the new edition. This thread should be about discussing the coming changes that Games Workshop have put in stone. It's not productive when people start saying; "Maybe now Fire Warriors will get those heavy weapons finally!"

Carry on.

Czar Ziggy

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Apr 22 2017 03:29

Does this mean that we have to buy whatever replaces the codexes or will that be free as well?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Apr 22 2017 03:32

The core rules will be free and I think every faction will get updated rules for free. Everything after that will cost like the battletomes in AoS I imagine.

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks since they said they'll release bits of informations everyday until 8th gets released. :)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Apr 22 2017 04:31

This is super exciting. I have all too many friends that get deterred from the game because of how complicated and time consuming it is. Now we just need to tackle the cost thing XD
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Apr 22 2017 08:12

Here comes the hype train.

One reason why I think they are reselling or otherwise invalidating old codices, is because of all the basic rule changes that will occur. 6th ed Tau codex was still viable when the updated codex dropped because it only added models and rules, it didn't change fundamental aspects of it.

One major change that is likely coming with these codices will be, of course, the FAQs baked into them, but also movement range. Every unit will have its own movement range (if they stick with it). How weapons interact will likely change as well, so we can expect our weapons changing some what in terms of how they deal damage.

There might even be some rebalancing being done as well. I think it is safe to assume that the point system for all armies will be redone.

Thus a new codex would pretty much be required. Hopefully GW realizes the burden it places on its players and will offer a cheap solution, which appears to be what they are doing now. Couple that with a supposedly free BRB, and I got to say, New Games-Workshop ™ is doing a great job.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#9 » Apr 23 2017 02:03

Watcher on the wall wrote:Does this mean that we have to buy whatever replaces the codexes or will that be free as well?

Basic unit rules may well be free - as in AOS and in line with putting them in the box with the models as they have been doing. There is no solid confirmation but I am expecting PDFs on the GW website on launch day.

Faction rules such as Signature Systems and all the Formations are probably going to still be in Codex-style books that you buy.

There may be a compendium publication along the lines of the Grand Alliance books for AOS which has all the basic unit stuff on printed paper with a minimal amount of Formations. If so then the new website would make me think that the Tau stuff will be in a combined Xenos book.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Apr 23 2017 07:45

I'm excited by this new GW - it certainly seems to be a very different company under Rountree than it was under Kirby!

One important thing to us is taht FW stuff will have rules on day 1, as it seems by their FAQ. This is unprecedented as well!
Also, maybe IA14 will be done in 8th style?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Apr 23 2017 08:12

Vector Strike wrote:Also, maybe IA14 will be done in 8th style?

I wouldn't bet on it

A few of you might be wondering how the new edition of Warhammer 40,000 affects Forge World’s Horus Heresy rules and army lists. Well, for the moment, it won’t! You can carry on using the existing Warhammer 40,000 ruleset for your Horus Heresy games.

jens
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Apr 24 2017 05:31

I'm also very excited. :D

Any word on the release of the normal FW 40k stuff ?
I hope they have it ready around the same time as GW release theirs :smile:

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Apr 24 2017 05:38

jens wrote:I'm also very excited. :D

Any word on the release of the normal FW 40k stuff ?
I hope they have it ready around the same time as GW release theirs :smile:

Can I still use all my models?
Yes. Every Warhammer 40,000 miniature we sell today will be usable in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. What’s more, they’ll be supported with new rules, which will be available from the get go in handy, low-cost books.

Even Forge World models?
Yes, even all of your Warhammer 40,000 Forge World models

;)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Apr 24 2017 06:22

In case you missed it: all codices, supplements, tactical objective cards and painting guides are now "Last chance to buy" ;)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Apr 24 2017 01:34

Okay so a few highlights from todays Q&A stream:
  • We keep using d6
  • stats aren't capped at 10 anymore
  • AV is gone, we'll get a similar system to AoS where vehicles and MCs get worse the more wounds they lose (totally fine with that! Finally people will stop complaining about our stuff being MCs!)
  • if you bought a codex in the past 8 weeks you can contact the Customer Service with proof and you'll get a voucher for your refund
  • the core rules will have 14(!) FOCs
  • Command Points will be a thing. A simple CAD doesn't generate any.
  • 5 different books at launch
  • keyword system
  • Allies are still a thing but super-best-friend deathstars apprently not anymore (due the keyword system)
  • everything can hurt everything but it becomes a lot harder for weaker weapons to hurt tough units like tanks etc. (no details but i'd imagine having to do a second to-wound roll after the first similar to hitting in SW:A)
  • heavy weapons will do multiple wounds
  • templates are gone! All of them!
  • There will be a lot of new factions in the future and one at launch (d'uh probably Deathguard i say)

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » Apr 24 2017 04:08

The reddit page has more information too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/c ... _qa_notes/

What we know so far:

Rules are written in Scottish

New faction coming out with 8th, some with the release

Getting rid of AV for vehicles

Vehicles and MCs will get less potent as they take wounds (lower WS/BS, etc)

"Everything will be able to hurt everyone." Specific example of a lasgun taking out a tank

Heavy weapons will do more wounds than regular weapons (see SW:Armagedon for an idea)

Stat lines no longer capped at 10

Stat lines will have to work much harder now as there's more going on

Unified stat line for all models

Movement values returning

Armor modifiers returning for weapons

Templates are removed, no note on how they change but likely going to multiwound weapons.

If you charge you get to attack first

Big focus on making CC better

Big focus on making the game more accessible: Cheaper, easier rules, etc.

1500 pt games designed to take 90 minutes

3 ways to play: Open, Narrative, Matched
Narrative play will use "Power levels" for each unit. Balance a game around the power levels
Matched play will have a point system very similar to the current game

Open play is basically do what you want

Warhammer 40k app like AoS app

Main rules will be like generals handbook for AoS, updated annually with community feedback

Top 3 design choice: Game that worked for all 3 ways to play (story, narrative, competitive). Make the game more accessible: cheaper, rules, painting, gaming, etc. Get back to Imperial vs Chaos; Make Chaos great again!
Hopefully more balanced than previous editions. Tons of playtesting went into this new edition.

Command Points:
1) Designed to make thematic armies better
2) Armies must be battle forged w/ force org chart
3) Multiple force org charts; 14 at launch. Harder to fill charts give more points
4) Give rerolls, can interrupt charges, etc
5) Gone when used
6) Can only use 1 per phase
7) Designed to modify tactical situations
8) Basic ones in main rulebook with faction specific ones in codexes

All new rules will be out day 1 with 5 new books: Main rules, Xenos, Imperial Chaos, one other
New codexes will have fluff and art as well as rules to make your faction a little more specific (Chapter tactics, command point uses, force org charts)

Should be less expensive than current codexes. Main rules and unit rules will be free with future units getting warscroll style releases between updates.

Major story progression over the next few years but not going to remove what's come before. IE not AoSing the setting

If you feel you recently bought a rulebook and feel you got ripped off they're extending their return policy to 8 weeks from the announcement (last Saturday). If you have proof of purchase they'll give you a voucher for the value if you contact their CS.

Other things to note in the reddit thread that Riptides are being changed or have been play tested extensively. Expect them to be changed in some way. Exciting times.

Edit: Apparently there were some more tidbits of information as well

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/c ... te_foleys/

Saw on twitter that Pete has been clarifying some things/adding some extra info, here's the brief rundown (with links to source).
Fixed "to Hit" Rolls.
Random turn initiative is not ccming to 40k from AoS
You can definitely kill rhinos with lasguns, 50 may—or may not—be enough
Core rules are around a dozen pages!
The video of the stream will go up on Youtube on wednesday.
Last edited by AnonAmbientLight on Apr 24 2017 04:48, edited 1 time in total.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Apr 24 2017 04:19

The Riptide thing was only them naming it as example of why they are going to change point costs of units so there aren't any obviously broken units anymore. So something that was quite obvious. ;)

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Apr 24 2017 05:09

All these updates are super exciting! I'm interested to see where they go with template weapons and Monstruous Creatures. I really hope that Riptides and Crisis get to move faster than Fire Warriors. A single footstep from a riptide would be half the Fire Warriors' movement :P

The power levels system also looks interesting!
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Return to “General Discussion”