Flying stem pivot mounts

General discussions about the hobby side to Tau & 40K.
Overheal
Shas'Saal

Flying stem pivot mounts

Post#1 » Jul 08 2017 03:33

Hey, does anyone know where I can just order these? If players have them but don't want them I can arrange barter/fair compensation.

The pivot stems as you get them in the piranha lot for example. I'd honestly just love a crap ton of these.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Flying stem pivot mounts

Post#2 » Jul 08 2017 03:41

Excuse me, but are you asking about those "old school" GW ball and socket type stands that were for landspeeders, piranhas and vipers?

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 08 2017 05:40

Yes exactly! They are fantastic. So what if they are choking hazards

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 08 2017 06:19

Overheal wrote:Yes exactly! They are fantastic. So what if they are choking hazards

Fantastic? I remember them wearing off to a point where the piranhas hanged down just after few games with them.

Either get some which are made with some more durable plastic, or use a magnet with steel ball. (I would recommend 6mm diameter or bigger, I tried it with 5mm ball and it barely holds.)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, carbon steel/ferrite are magnetic, stainless steel either isn't or it's permeability is greatly reduced.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jul 08 2017 08:30

I'd have to agree with Gragagrogog on this one. Ball magnets are the way you want to go. I found a website once that sold ball magnets with matching concave magnets. If you do an internet search you should be able to find some.

The problem with the old GW old "ball and socket" was that they were made of hard brittle plastic. When Gragagrogog talks about them "wearing off", what was happening was the "socket" part would be stretch out. For the ones I used, they only lasted a few games, and then the "socket" would break; which was the usual complaint about them.

If you don't want to use magnetic balls, then I'm sure you could rig up your own "ball and socket" arrangement. Either way I would like to hear what you come up with.

Best of Luck
TauMan
PS If I come across any of those old "ball and socket" bits I'll let you know. I'll send them to you for free.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Return to “Common Workbench”