Anyone nostalgic for the run-up to 8th Edition?

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Anyone nostalgic for the run-up to 8th Edition?

Post#1 » Jul 17 2017 06:12

Now that we're in 8th Edition, even though it's just as clean, streamlined, and fun as it was promised to be, I feel nostalgic for the run-up to the release. The blurry leaks, the new models, the frantic rumors and wishlisting. I much prefer having the release in-hand and playing, but... that year or so of build-up was fun.

Let's hope the lead-up to the Tau codex gives us plenty to discuss too!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Anyone nostalgic for the run-up to 8th Edition?

Post#2 » Jul 17 2017 06:16

Arka0415 wrote:Now that we're in 8th Edition, even though it's just as clean, streamlined, and fun as it was promised to be, I feel nostalgic for the run-up to the release. The blurry leaks, the new models, the frantic rumors and wishlisting. I much prefer having the release in-hand and playing, but... that year or so of build-up was fun.

Since I'm also interested in pretty much all the releases I have no reason to feel nostalgic. Codices are coming and with them changes. And also new models are about to get released as well.
All still fun to me. :D

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jul 17 2017 07:35

Dunno man, I'm creating lists everyday...

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 17 2017 10:35

I don't feel nostalgic because 8th is still new and isn't fully released yet. The codexes are still coming.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 17 2017 01:10

MNGamer wrote:I don't feel nostalgic because 8th is still new and isn't fully released yet. The codexes are still coming.

Yep, now is the run up to our codex!

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 17 2017 07:08

Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jul 17 2017 09:54

Seriously though, in a few month the winter release codexes will be leaking everywhere.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jul 17 2017 10:28

I just wonder when ours is.

As shown, "tactics" are powerful stuff.

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jul 17 2017 11:24

boomwolf wrote:I just wonder when ours is.

Well, there is supposed to be 10 codexes released this year, as there are 16 armies in 40k we have a 63% chance of receiving a codex. However GW has already announced the first four codexes so our chances drop to 50%.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jul 18 2017 07:57

MNGamer wrote:
boomwolf wrote:I just wonder when ours is.

Well, there is supposed to be 10 codexes released this year, as there are 16 armies in 40k we have a 63% chance of receiving a codex. However GW has already announced the first four codexes so our chances drop to 50%.

I love how we're such nerds that we're mathammering the chances of our CODEX drop. :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jul 18 2017 08:07

Considering that there even was a rumour about the T'au codex being third and Atia mentioning there's something coming for T'au a few weeks/months ago I dare say we have pretty good chances to get our Codex within the current year. :P

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jul 18 2017 08:43

Panzer wrote:Considering that there even was a rumour about the T'au codex being third and Atia mentioning there's something coming for T'au a few weeks/months ago I dare say we have pretty good chances to get our Codex within the current year. :P

Don't want it to be too soon though. I don't want us to suffer because others gain an advantage from codex creep.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jul 18 2017 09:02

Yojimbob wrote:
Panzer wrote:Considering that there even was a rumour about the T'au codex being third and Atia mentioning there's something coming for T'au a few weeks/months ago I dare say we have pretty good chances to get our Codex within the current year. :P

Don't want it to be too soon though. I don't want us to suffer because others gain an advantage from codex creep.

That shouldn't happen anymore. They now have a clear view of what Codices are supposed to look like and they can adjust all the point costs yearly via the generals handbook.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jul 18 2017 10:18

Panzer wrote:That shouldn't happen anymore.

Shouldn't. Keyword there. :P

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Jul 18 2017 10:38

Panzer wrote:That shouldn't happen anymore. They now have a clear view of what Codices are supposed to look like and they can adjust all the point costs yearly via the generals handbook.

What publication would they do that in? The $65/£35 core rulebook? Or does it look like they'll release a little book like in Age of Sigmar?

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#16 » Jul 18 2017 11:15

Arka0415 wrote:
Panzer wrote:That shouldn't happen anymore. They now have a clear view of what Codices are supposed to look like and they can adjust all the point costs yearly via the generals handbook.

What publication would they do that in? The $65/£35 core rulebook? Or does it look like they'll release a little book like in Age of Sigmar?

GW said they would call it the "Chapter Approved" book, and that the first one would release around Christmas this year.

Czar Ziggy

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Jul 18 2017 12:27

Arka0415 wrote:Now that we're in 8th Edition, even though it's just as clean, streamlined, and fun as it was promised to be, I feel nostalgic for the run-up to the release. The blurry leaks, the new models, the frantic rumors and wishlisting. I much prefer having the release in-hand and playing, but... that year or so of build-up was fun.

Thanks to Arka0415 for starting this thread, as now I can do a ‘bookend’ to the post I did on The Run Up to 8th Edition. So, if any of you want to, you can go and check out my original post. Just know that the following is all meant in good humor and fun. :biggrin:

Tauman
Tally Ho Lads!

Am I Nostalgic?
I am I nostalgic for the run up to 8th edition? Well, course lad, who isn’t? So, as we wait for the arrival of our new Tau codex, let us take a moment to remember just what it was like before the arrival of 8th edition. So, now sit back and let me recall for you, those quiet and peaceful days of 6th and 7th edition.

In the Beginning
Those were quiet days, the days when we enjoyed playing our beloved Tau; who with 6th edition had become one of the most powerful, or our opponents would often say, cheesiest armies to have ever hit the table top in the Warhammer 40k. But did we care? No, this was our golden age of dominance, and we loved it!

It was during those halcyon days, when the first dark rumours that something was about to happen with Warhammer Fantasy. It was said that Games Workshop was tinkering with the ancient and venerable game; but since most of us didn’t play Warhammer Fantasy, we ignored it. However, a few of us who played wondered, “Why?”

At first it was just the release of expensive campaign supplements for Warhammer Fantasy, loaded with all kinds of bizarre fluff all about the “End Times.” Then there followed the release of lots and lots, of very large and very expensive models. And all those expensive baubles lulled the fans of Warhammer Fantasy into complacency, and into a false sense of security; while we in the Warhammer 40,000 community, could only wonder at their strange acquiescence.

But didn’t have of our big expensive models, like the Ghostkeel and Riptides? And didn’t we our own very expensive game supplements like, Kau’yon and Mont’ka? So, what if something fishy was going on with Warhammer Fantasy? And so in the end, we too were lulled into a false sense of security.

Then came the rumour about a really big change coming to Warhammer Fantasy. A rumour so dark and terrible that no one could believe it when they heard it. Games Workshop was going to replace Warhammer Fantasy with a totally new game!

And we all thought:
“Oh, dear what a load of twiddle twaddle! Games Workshop would never scrap their flagship game! Why that’s why it’s called “WARHAMMER”! Tisk, tisk, one can’t go around and believe everything they read on Bell of Lost Souls; it’s fake news after all. What a barmy idea that Games Workshop would go and chuck Warhmmer Fantasy out the window?”

But as it turned out, the rumour was true.

Coming of the Age of Sigmar
Without warning Games Workshop launched a blitzkrieg upon the peaceful world of Warhammer Fantasy. The fury of Games Workshop’s golden armoured storm troopers was now unleashed upon the unexpecting fans. Thunder and death fell across the old world, as one after another of the Fantasy armies fell to the golden Sigmarines: The Empire, Dwarfes, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, High Elves, Orcs and Goblins, Beastmen, Skaven and even brave Britonia. Like dominoes they all fell; while the chant of the golden Sigmarines was heard throughout the land, “Hail Sigmar! Hail Sigmar! Hail Sigmar!”

And just like that Warhammer Fantasy was no more; and in its stead was the Age of Sigmar.

Finally, we shaken from our slumber! We had awoken to the grim dark reality that was Games Workshop’s perfidy! Without regard to the sentiments of their loyal Warhammer Fantasy customers; Games Workshop had forced the Age of Sigmar down their throats. They showed just how audacious and arrogant they could be in the pursuit of profits and intellectual property rights.

Now we asked ourselves, “Would they do the same to Warhammer 40,000? And would we be next?”

Sitzkreig: Waiting for 8th edition
So now knowing the threat, we hastily dug our bomb-proofs, stocked up on canned food, purchased Tau bitz on ebay; and slapped down hard cash for Forge World models, when the pound dropped after Brexit. And so taking our tea with buttered scones, we huddled around the radio set, and listened by the dial’s orange glow, to the latest broadcast from Bell of Lost Souls.

“This is your reporter from the Bell of Lost of Souls, broadcasting from somewhere in occupied Warhammer world. Here are the latest rumours about the impending arrival of Warhammer 40,000 8th edition...”

Aghast, we continued to read about Warhammer players selling off their armies on ebay; while others had switched to Mantic Games’ Kings of War, or Privateer Presses’ War Machine. And weren’t we all horrified at the sight of long time Warhammer Fantasy player, Holy Death, setting fire to his Fantasy army! No joke, it really happened - here’s the link: Death Holy Death Mourns

And there we were wondering what was in store for us? “Would Warhammer 40K be utterly destroyed and replaced with a child’s game like Age of Sigmar?” “Would all the Tau lore be flushed out the airlock?” “What happens to the hundreds of pounds/euros/dollars we forked on all those ‘Pacific Rim’ models’?”

But there was that one burning question on everyone’s mind, that after all was said and done, “Is the new 8th edition Warhammer 40k going to suck?”

Before even a single word was published, there were those on A.T.T. who where ready to oppose 8th edition.
“We shall defend our Warhammer 40,000, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!”

While others tried to reassure us, by saying we should just accept the inevitable.
“It is perfectly evident now that force is the only argument that Games Workshop understands and that input from ‘loyal customers and fans’ cannot offer any prospect of preventing such events as the total annihilation of Warhammer Fantasy…therefore, I suggest the immediate and total surrender to Nottingham’s demands.”

Still others were ready to accept without question the new 8th edition Warhammer 40k.
“I for one, embrace the new world order of 8th edition. Hail Guilliman!”

Rumours and More Rumours!
And through it all, the rumours continued to come in from Bell of Lost Souls and from Faeit 212. Other informal networks of the type, “I know a guy, who knows a guy that use to work for Games Workshop”, turned out rumours. And broadcasting from the Ministry of Propaganda in Nottingham, was “Lady A” a.k.a. Nottingham Nancy, or as some would call her, Lady Haw Haw; who churned out the party line for Games Workshop.

And what were we to make of it all? On other forums the hysteria, over the as yet unpublished 8th edition, was at fever pitch. So much vitriol was being thrown on the subject that the heat could be felt all across the internet! Not a joke – Dakka Dakka & Bolter and Chainsword really got pretty heated!

But thankfully, our very own loyal and stalwart moderators on the Advanced Tau Tactica, kept our the pre-release discussions, both civil and sane. Reminding us of our heritage and traditions at A.T.T. that “we strive to maintain high standards so members may collaborate with their peers in great discussions. Well-written, respectful dialogue is part of what distinguishes ATT.”

Tin hats off to the moderators. Fine job there lads!

And by following their directions, we got through the worst of the waiting for 8th edition.

The Arrival of 8th of Edition
Until finally the day came, when the arrival of Warhammer 8th edition was announced by the thunderous roar of a thousand Games Workshop Junkers and Heinkels. So dark was the sky that some thought the “End Times” had indeed come to Warhammer 40k!

But what did the A.T.T. community do? But rise and meet the challenge!

Tally ho lads! That’s the Spirit! Give ‘em what for eh?!

The Response of the A.T.T. Community to 8th Edition
Creativity and ingenuity seems to the order of the A.T.T. community with the release of 8th edition! With only the indexes to go by, members here at A.T.T. have already figured out the new tactics for the Tau; while others have mathhammered the optimal weapon loads to maximize the effectiveness our blue armies. Some have already figured out the cheesiest, but legal ways, to use the 8th edition rules. And at the same time, new members just keep joining the forum. Personally, I have never seen so many new members joining A.T.T. Great job to you all in the A.T.T. community!

All in all, I think we’re doing pretty well in 8th edition, and our codex isn’t even out yet!

Yes, we’re doing alright by 8th edition!

Now, in the spirit of nostalgia for the run up to 8th edition and for the Battle of Britain, are a few Vera Lynn songs.
We’ll Meet Again
The White Cliffs of Dover
I Be Seeing You
When I Grow too Old to Dream

TauMan
“I for one, embrace the new world order of 8th edition.”
Hail Guilliman!
Hail Guilliman!
Hail Guilliman!
Last edited by TauMan on Aug 29 2017 01:52, edited 2 times in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#18 » Jul 18 2017 02:16

Bravo sir.

We need a smily for "lost for words" :-(

Return to “General Discussion”