Hobby Resource [Tau Squad Marking Scheme] - Updated

Post and discuss techniques, advice and your latest projects.
Iceplague
Shas

Re: Hobby Resource [Tau Squad Marking Scheme] - Updated

Post#37 » May 11 2013 05:46

I just noticed that you've dropped the symbolic numbering part from the updated one. Was this intentional?
Also the Technical Drone has no symbol.
The changes to the Manta and Barracuda are also puzzling.

Just asking a lot of questions aren't I? :P

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#38 » May 11 2013 06:25

Somehow missed this last time - putting it in Painting for safe keeping!

Great work and designs.

- Tael

Mek'an'ik
Fio

Post#39 » May 12 2013 03:33

Iceplague wrote:I just noticed that you've dropped the symbolic numbering part from the updated one. Was this intentional?
Also the Technical Drone has no symbol.
The changes to the Manta and Barracuda are also puzzling.

Just asking a lot of questions aren't I? :P

Ha!

Actually, I'm glad you pointed that out!

When I went editing, I opened and edited an earlier version... Before the numbering and other bits hd been done. I'll update. Later today with the 'correct' updated version.

The technical drone symbol that had been there is now the recon drone, this is from referencing the pictures of the new drones and trying to use markings from GW imagery. That leaves a missing space for technical drone. I'll update with a new symbol.

Questions are good, a peer review is good. If a system, any system, can't be questioned to assure its usefulness and reliability... Then it probably would be neither!

Mek
Check out my sculpting blog:

Far Future East

Mek'an'ik
Fio

Post#40 » May 12 2013 06:36

So here it is. Hopefully I haven't dropped anything this time. There's a lot of little pictures, easy to miss one. This is what I should have posted the last time, if I had edited the right one to begin with!

Let me know if anyone spots anything.

The Pathfinders and technical drone symbols have been slightly altered. I have the technical drone as the "base" drone for having a purpose in this sense then the pathfinders drones are alterations from that.

I've updated the top post as well.

Mek
Check out my sculpting blog:

Far Future East

Iceplague
Shas

Post#41 » May 12 2013 10:02

Thank you! :D

Moriar
Shas

Post#42 » Jan 31 2014 03:30

I am sorry if this is some form of thread-nomancy, but I did not see this idea posted and thought it may be important enough to bring up.

One idea that struck me immediately is the use of these symbols as "subdued" rank markings for certain cadres. The bright orange sept markings of the Sa'Cea are decidedly conspicuous in any environment, except maybe a planet like Mars or a jungle with bright foliage. Because of this, painting the aerials on the heads of infantry or battlesuits, or even the entire head of the battlesuit in the case of the 'Vre, is not a good idea. By having a smaller marking that can be placed in a less conspicuous area of the body, the warrior can be identified by Sept, team, and rank without negating his ability to use any camo patterns on his armor.

I for one am favoriting this page and using it on my recon/night raid cadre as described above.

Cheers!
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps

ShasLa40
Shas

Post#43 » Sep 03 2014 08:27

This is incredibly useful, I will use this from now on, I'm surprised there was never an official one, but who needs it when this one will probably become the standard. You should keep updating it and improving it because I can see anyone worried about fluff and uniform will be using this system.

All I can see is adding 2nd bodyguard squad for a 2nd commander, even a hd remaster, maybe add a blue box where the numbers are so you only need to have 2 of each squad so anyone can just copy the markings and add the numbers like this (I'm seeing this on the XV8 teams section). Marking Blue Box Marking and a note saying "Replace blue with number". I'm sure many people would be happy to make this with your guidance.
Gue'la in disguise

Meleck
Shas'Saal

Post#44 » Oct 15 2014 09:51

Has anyone ever created a decal for these markings?
I'd be interested in getting some but the marking would need to be white for the Tau sept.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#45 » Jul 31 2017 07:52

No apologies for necro-posting, this is an important thread. What is unfortunate is that Photobucket have changed their hosting policies! Does anyone have any of the images saved?
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#46 » Jul 31 2017 07:58

Found this online:
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Prophet224
Shas'Saal

Post#47 » Aug 01 2017 12:08

I have one saved from about 2 months ago but will have to dig it up tomorrow (if someone else doesn't get to it first), but I definitely have it around!

Return to “Painting & Artwork”