Tau Commander

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Tau Commander

Post#1 » Aug 07 2017 04:17

Since I am getting back into 40k for the first time since 6th Edition, I have finally picked up a few of the more recent plastic kits, including the new Tau Commander.

I am just testing some pose options, so any feedback on this would be appreciated. He is meant to be in flight; taking off, landing or just doing a casual fly-by :)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau Commander

Post#2 » Aug 07 2017 04:53

Such a pose might work in a diorama where you depict a specific scene, but I think as pose for a model you use in-game it looks rather horrible...sorry. :P

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Aug 07 2017 04:56

Lol - at least you're honest!

Ta :)

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Aug 07 2017 05:16

I would suggest that currently the pose is a little static, despite its airborne nature. If you can, I'm not familiar with the commander kit, I would suggest looking at the poses of athletes and then exaggerating them for a more dynamic effect on the table.
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

DancinHobo
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 07 2017 08:08

I like the pose, but I don't like how much on his side he is. I'd recommend straightening him out some. So it looks like he is land/ taking off up, rather then at an angle.

Antao
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 07 2017 08:25

I actually quite like the concept, but there is something that looks a little off. Not a fan of the ghostkeel head on the commander. I don't think it looks right, and 2 it breaks the main part of the motion that needs to be communicated. The commander is obviously flying by a target, shooting it with his burst cannon (which again, I love this pose) however, the ghostkeel head does not follow the pose of the rest of the model. Instead of following the BC line of fire to the target. The Ghostkeel head is looking up at the sky, which makes the model feel very disjointed. I would either repose the head (which I don't think you can do due to the neckguard) or switch back to the regular commander head.

I'd also suggest just from a general "jumping/flying" pose switching the legs so the leg closer to the ground is knee bend, and the leg higher up is mostly straight and hanging behind.

Red is where the head should be, green is where it's looking currently.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 07 2017 08:42

What Antao said. I agree 100% with it. The reason why your current pose looks so off is because the seperate parts don't fit together.
I'd argue it's because you didn't exactly know where to go with the pose and just wanted it to be a cool flying pose that shows the model is doing 'something'. It's important to decide first what exactly is happening in that moment you try to display.

Not sure about the Ghostkeel head. It sure limits what you can do with it but you could try to adjust the 'eyeball'. It should definitely look at the target. To the Commanders right if he's taking off to fly away or downwards if he is about to land/shoot something.

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Aug 07 2017 11:54

Very helpful comments - lots to think about. Thanks :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Aug 07 2017 06:49

Panzer wrote:I'd argue it's because you didn't exactly know where to go with the pose and just wanted it to be a cool flying pose that shows the model is doing 'something'. It's important to decide first what exactly is happening in that moment you try to display.

Whatever this Commander does- holding a gunline, taking cover, using Kauyon, whatever- he's doing it with a fancy flying kick! Dynamic!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#10 » Aug 23 2017 10:25

One of my methods for any posing of battlesuits - NFL player action shots. They have that crazy upper bulk like a battlesuit and if you match their action photos? - golden. Some great advive earlier.

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Sep 06 2017 03:36

Not finished with the painting yet, but another try with the pose

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Sep 06 2017 03:42

Definitely much better. Pretty similar to Farsights and my Coldstars pose. Though not exactly what you intended it to be, no?

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Sep 06 2017 04:00

My work is always exactly what I intended it to be. I just do not always fully understand my intentions in the earlier stages of a project :P

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#14 » Sep 12 2017 06:37

Really.... interesting that the Ghostkeel helm suits the XV8 so well once combined via paint, solid kitbash idea! And loving that ceramic white you have going there too :)

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Sep 13 2017 12:04

Thanks - it is very similar to the colour I did my PHR in for Dropzone Commander, and I figured it would be a good look for a centerpiece model

Return to “Modelling”