Hoob's Tash'var Cadre project log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Hoob
Shas'Saal

Hoob's Tash'var Cadre project log

Post#1 » Aug 14 2017 07:14

Recently got back into the hobby for the first time since I was a kid. Twelve years is a hell of a break, but I think I'm getting into the swing of things.

Currently going with a forest camo (using the term camo loosely here) theme for my guys. Here's the first squad I painted up; pretty rough, but I like how it came out. There's a lot of things I can identify as screw-ups, but I think it's a nice tabletop standard. Trying not to hyper-focus on fixing up mistakes, I want to get to a table ready army sometime in the next decade :P (P.S. I realise now I glued the markerlight in totally the wrong spot, looks way goofy. Might fix it in the future)

The basing is not great; I'm actually planning to pick it off and try something different. Probably going to try to be a bit more conservative with basing material, and fill up the bulk of the space with texture paint instead.

And here's a Crisis Suit WIP; actually took this a few days ago, I'm chugging along at an okay pace with these, got two suits almost completed. All weapon mounting points magnetised, although I didn't bother to magnetise any support systems, feels like overkill.

I'll try to periodically update this as I go along. Feedback and constructive criticism more than welcome.
Last edited by Hoob on Sep 15 2017 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

Hoob
Shas'Saal

Re: Hoob's Tash'var Cadre project log

Post#2 » Aug 15 2017 03:11

Here's today's progress;

Second Crisis Suit all done save for the backpack, which I'll probably paint up tomorrow afternoon. Weapons are all still bare plastic/resin, gonna do them in batch probably. Aim is to outfit these guys all with triple flamers, but I've got magnets to give me options.

Here's a more detailed look at the second suit. The edge highlighting on the legs is quite sloppy, but I'm not too displeased with it. Learning as I go and all that.

Cadre Fireblade conversion, still a bit of a WIP. The greenstuff on the shoulder is sloppy as all hell, but when the Fire Warrior shoulderpad is mounted on there, you can barely see it, so I probably won't spend too much time cleaning it up. Also intend to attach the little flowy belt bit from the Ethereal model this is based on. Other than that it's mostly done, save for some cleanup and gap filling.

Hoob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 27 2017 06:14

Been a while since I updated this. Here's my Crisis Suits, all done save for the weapons. I can still spot a lot of areas which could do with a touchup, but I think I'll leave it for the most part, focus on getting an army on the table.

Hoob
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 30 2017 09:07

Aaaand done!

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 01 2017 08:28

very nice and a very interesting color scheme!

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Sep 01 2017 10:06

The camera really doesn't let our painting imperfection hide, does it - that's not to say I actually noticed any on yours! I have this problem on my models though, they look okay under normal light, then I take their picture ... and boom :-P

Hoob
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 13 2017 05:05

Heavy WIP here, but I thought I should put some content in here.

Decided to try to get a de-cloaking effect on my Stealth Suits. Think it came out okay; the cloaked halves need to be re-done a bit, they're kind of crappy as is, but I like the transition.

The uncloaked portions are barely touched, only really done the basecoat and wash for the green, and the black parts. Considering how I want to signify the squad leader. Would making half the body red look silly?

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Sep 13 2017 12:28

That is a nice de-cloaking effect!

I'm never sure with stealth suits. The optics ball bit should denote rank, but that does tend to look a bit silly. Half the helmet could be overkill, but it might just work...

Hoob
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Sep 15 2017 05:06

Pretty quick and lazy paintjob, wasn't aiming for anything more than tabletop quality, but I'm happy with them.

Few spots here and there I'll need to touch up before I put a varnish on them, but other than that I'm calling these done.

Return to “Project Logs”