XV109 Y'vahra (any feedback?)

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

XV109 Y'vahra (any feedback?)

Post#1 » Aug 30 2017 12:54

Has anyone tried running the XV109 Y'vahra yet? On paper he still has some fantastic damage output capabilities but the range and point cost is a hard thing to swallow.

I am wanting to run one and just deploy it on the board, and hope for something juicy turn 1 that is <26" away for the flamers to work their magic. Then you hopefully survive another round or two in order to reliably take down 1-3 juicy enemy targets and earn your points back. Its just an expensive unit at ~400pts to fire one gun with such short range. On paper i'm not overly impressed with the Ionic cannon given a) you have to nova charge it and b) if you move and are firing it at BS5+ you arent hitting much.

Just wanted to know if anyone has fielded a Y'vahra yet and how they have found it to work best. Can the Y'vahra be included in a decently competitive list? Any real-world experience or thoughts on anything I am missing would be appreciated ;-)

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Re: XV109 Y'vahra (any feedback?)

Post#2 » Aug 30 2017 01:43

From what I've heard from others is that he is very good and will likely make his points back. I ran it once and got very very unlucky and lost it way too quickly with awful dice roll on my part and amazing dice on my opponents part killing it with a single battlecannon round of shooting.

Bolter&Rail wrote:b) if you move and are firing it at BS5+ you arent hitting much.

This is why you take a target lock for 12 points. No longer losing BS from moving. Very common equipment for him. Yes he is expensive, but yes he absorbs a decent amount of fire to bring it down and unlike the riptide it is VERY deadly to enemy elites and tanks.

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Aug 30 2017 02:09

She is a monster. I have played her my last 5 (tyranids, orks, eldar, alpha legion and ultramarines) games during the Konnor campaing and with her movement and good calls for his weapons the damage he can deal is way above her points cost. I can also tell she is also a good deterrent for charges. placing him in the front of your units with drone support behind him will make your oponents think twice before a charge, not to say her damage output its off the scale! She has been able to take out Hive Tyrants, Ghazghkull, Typhus in one turn and leave Papa Smurf very damaged. She a great unit and IMO the best unit the Tau has on its options right now.
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 5000 PTS

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 30 2017 05:21

Yojimbob wrote:This is why you take a target lock for 12 points. No longer losing BS from moving. Very common equipment for him. Yes he is expensive, but yes he absorbs a decent amount of fire to bring it down and unlike the riptide it is VERY deadly to enemy elites and tanks.

Ya I wanted target lock to improve the BS but was leaning towards Advanced Targeting System and Stim Inj instead. The stim is a steal at the points since you know Yvahra will be targeted down so you save ~2+ wounds on her and make her 16.6% more survivable. The ATS just helps those 3 damage wounds get through a littler better for something like 17% (1/6) more damage output. I guess the target lock would do the same damage output increase but only works on 1 of the two weapons.

What have you guys seen her run with? Stim and Target Lock? But isnt ATS likely better damage output then target lock given ATS works on all weapons vs the one?

AleksandrGRC
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 30 2017 10:10

The nova charge works on both weapons at the same time. So im told.

Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Aug 31 2017 12:59

AleksandrGRC wrote:The nova charge works on both weapons at the same time. So im told.

Yes that is right both weapons can be used with the Nova reactor profile when you chose that nova reaction option.
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 5000 PTS

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 31 2017 08:15

ATS on those weapons isn't overly helpful as you're already punching down a decent amount of armor. I ran with target lock and stim.

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 31 2017 12:33

Maybe not the weapons, but what about the buff to HtoH with the ATS? It's pretty much a given that you're going to end up in close combat at least once.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Aug 31 2017 12:36

Draco023 wrote:Maybe not the weapons, but what about the buff to HtoH with the ATS? It's pretty much a given that you're going to end up in close combat at least once.

Not rly, the flamer overwatch is kinda brutal.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 31 2017 12:37

Draco023 wrote:Maybe not the weapons, but what about the buff to HtoH with the ATS? It's pretty much a given that you're going to end up in close combat at least once.

No. Suits are still bad in melee, even with ATS. The Commander is okay-ish in melee with ATS due his BS3+ but every other suit still sucks.
It's nice to have in case you end up in melee (which is not as terrible as it used to be since we can just leave and keep shooting) but it's nothing you should plan in when writing your list.

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Aug 31 2017 01:14

Gragagrogog wrote:

Oof, yeah I'd forgotten about that monster!

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Aug 31 2017 01:15

Panzer wrote:No. Suits are still bad in melee, even with ATS. The Commander is okay-ish in melee with ATS due his BS3+ but every other suit still sucks.
It's nice to have in case you end up in melee (which is not as terrible as it used to be since we can just leave and keep shooting) but it's nothing you should plan in when writing your list.

True enough, those one or two hits it might get aren't worth the cost in shooting then.

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Aug 31 2017 04:57

I think the ATS is superior to the target lock if shooting at a multi-wound amour unit with an amour save of 2+, 3+ or 4+ that doesnt have an invuln save. I guess how common do these guys not have an invuln though?

Vehicles are obviously usually one, but I guess the ATS would do little in this situation if facing another YVahra or a Stormsurge for example. (invulvn saves ignores the ATS benefit). You may be right, if accounting for invuln saves on a lot of juicy targets the Target Lock may be superior to ATS even though it only helps one of its weapons...

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Aug 31 2017 11:33

Bolter&Rail wrote:I think the ATS is superior to the target lock if shooting at a multi-wound amour unit with an amour save of 2+, 3+ or 4+ that doesnt have an invuln save. I guess how common do these guys not have an invuln though?

Vehicles are obviously usually one, but I guess the ATS would do little in this situation if facing another YVahra or a Stormsurge for example. (invulvn saves ignores the ATS benefit). You may be right, if accounting for invuln saves on a lot of juicy targets the Target Lock may be superior to ATS even though it only helps one of its weapons...

Depends on the lists you are facing I guess.
T'au Battlesuits come to mind as well as Tyranid Warriors and Hive Guards, Space Marine Bikes, Death Guard and Primaris. ^^

ZettaCrash
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Sep 01 2017 12:46

I am getting one soon so as soon as I put it together, I promise to come here and give it a run down once I have done a game.

As for for first impressions, I would go stim and target lock. Maybe ATS if I had ample marker support to pinpoint threats. For me, hitting a target is more important than armor punching as you wound only what you can hit.

-2 and -3 are also already pretty ample. You don't always need to wipe out a target in a salvo. Crippling a unit is just as good sometimes.

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Sep 01 2017 07:06

Gragagrogog wrote:

Charges from outside 8" though

Colt wrote:Yes that is right both weapons can be used with the Nova reactor profile when you chose that nova reaction option.

Was this every really confirmed? Last I saw everyone settled that "they were right" on both sides. I tried to be a good little advanced tactica member and ask ForgeWorld. This was the response I got over a month ago

"Thanks for the email. Currently our rules team have requested we gather as many questions as we can related to the new index books and rules that may not be present, clear or need addressing in future FAQ's.
As such we are not able to answer individual questions as they come in but rather add them to our list to send over to the designers as requested to address at a later date.

Rest assured, we will tag and categorize your email and forward it on and soon we should see an FAQ for the new data sheets and units that we have had questions about.

Thanks again"

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Sep 01 2017 07:33

Maxwell wrote:
Gragagrogog wrote:

Charges from outside 8" though

Charges from outside 8" fail more often than they work or make the opponent burn through his CP though. I'm more than fine with both, really. :D

CrappingEagle
Shas

Post#18 » Sep 13 2017 12:14

I'm aware I'm a bit late to this but from my experience of owning 3 they are ridiculously powerful. Most of my points have already been stated mainly the fact that it has the most overloaded flamed in the game. Along with the often overlooked fact that the drones that come with them have 3+ invuns and are insane shot soakers. I've had them soak an entire barrage of a falchion tank's shooting. In short take them their point cost is insanely low and they output atleast the damage equivalent the a 600 point model, atleast.

Return to “Tau Tactics”