New to warhammer 40k and tau, would appreciate comments on my 1000pt list

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
sabaw
Shas

New to warhammer 40k and tau, would appreciate comments on my 1000pt list

Post#1 » Aug 31 2017 08:28

Ok, ill keep it short. Friends of mine are trying to get me into 40k, not sure if i want to as i may not have the full dedication of time for it. However, looking at some of the models, I love some of em even on just a collecting and hobby standpoint (i like mecha). So given that there are some units that i like, would a basic 1000pt army work with this composition?

+++ tau (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [49 PL, 1000pts] +++

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [1000pts] ++

+ HQ [] +

Commander []: 4x Fusion blaster [], 2x MV1 Gun Drone []

Vehicle/super heavy eater with light protection that can homing beacon in.

+ Elites [] +

XV104 Riptide Battlesuit []: 2x Smart missile system [], Advanced targeting system [], Heavy burst cannon [], Target lock []

Love the model and tried to keep the points down (lol). Serves as my anti infantry (light to heavy), nova charging whenever needed. Will be protected by drones.

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits []: Homing beacon [], 2x MV1 Gun Drone []
. 3x Stealth Shas'ui w/o support system []: 3x Burst cannon []

Homing beacon vessel, harasser, supporting unit. Gives me more anti infantry as well.

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit []: 2x Fusion blaster [], Fusion collider [], 2x MV5 Stealth Drone [], Stimulant injector [], Target lock []

Great survibability from what i read, a second source of anti heavy/heavy infantry/super heavy. (had 5 pts left, so i just got his "6+ save")

+ Fast Attack [] +

Pathfinder Team []
. 7x Pathfinder []: 7x Markerlight []
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle []: 3x Rail rifle []

Markerlight support (i think i really only want the 1st markerlight), boots on the ground, with light vehicle/heavy inf killing ability.

Tactical Drones []: 4x MV1 Gun Drone []

XV104 bodyguards

I understand some might cry cheese, but tbh from what ive been reading, im actually gimping myself by including the riptide and the keel in one list. Im putting em both because theyre both models that i love (HUEG MECH), and the others based on what I can find that works pretty well. Again, this is a list that is collecting first, and then casual gaming with my buddies second.

I also tried it on a couple of battles, seemed to work decently though we just tried pitched battles with not much terrain.

Thoughts:

3 fusion hq: always worth his points. His 2 to hits is super invaluable. Doesn't make sense our huge battesuits with super advance targeting and operating computers can't even do hits on 3s.

Stealth team: works pretty good. Offensive capability is decent, survivability is good, but tactical presence is valuable.

Riptide: did decently but didn't seem to get his points back. I get what people are saying. He's not totally bad but with the points you're investing he should be more reliable or simply stronger. Probably needs - 50 to 100 pts and 3s to hit in my mind. (maybe target lock baked in as well)

Ghostkeel : awesome unit and usually my MVP. - 2 to hit is a boon and with essentially 3-6 fbs with infiltrate he's a real tank and super heavy buster. Worked well even with an Eldar opponent with dark reapers (just hid him) should probably be 3s to hit though.

Pathfinders: I don't think I played them well. They usually just get obliterated without doing anything. So I probably need to wrap my head around them. Since they're my squishiest unit my opponents usually decimate em.

Drones: well, they keep my riptide healthy lol.

For the Eldar opponent though I swapped the small stealth suits for another commander with 3 cyclics. I have to say he's quite devastating as well. Commanders really are just great. I doubt they need a nerf, the others just need to bring something to the table.

More Thoughts and comments would be well appreciated. Thank you!

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Re: New to warhammer 40k and tau, would appreciate comments on my 1000pt list

Post#2 » Aug 31 2017 10:43

Drop the stim injector on the ghostkeel and give your stealth suits a drone controller - you will find the +1 BS invaluable.

ohitikta
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 31 2017 02:19

I also agree with the drone controller on the stealth suits, it adds a nice bonus without taking a weapons slot from whoever you have coming in on the homing beacon.

I had the same survivability issue with pathfinders and I've had a lot more success with them split into 2 teams of 5 rather than a single team of 10. It adds some flexibility to your markerlights as well since you don't have to commit all the shooting at once.

sabaw
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 31 2017 08:04

Hi thank you for the inputs!
In some of my playtesting I did place a controller in my stealths and it did work great! I'm contemplating though if I need the beacon since my commander has 18 range anyway. I also changed one of his blasters to a shield Gen to make him tougher.

Would that be 5 and 2-3 pathfinders with rails or both small squads with special weapons? (one rails one ion?)

Any other changes you guys can see? And if I wanted to go to 1500 pys what would you recommend next? (the suits aren't that good right? Anyway the models aren't as nice as the new commander model haha)

Thanks again for the inputs!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Sep 03 2017 08:34

It looks like you're off to the right start! You're right that you're somewhat "gimping" yourself with so many large models at 1000 points, but as a casual list it will be very fun to play! That said though, we should at least make sure that you have the tools to deal with most threats you'll encounter on the battlefield.

The first thing I'd do is make the following changes: Give the Commander a pair of Shield Drones, and switch the Ghostkeel's loadout to Cyclic Ion as opposed to Fusion. The list would look like this:

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
Elites - Riptide w/ Heavy Burst Cannon, 2x SMS, Target Lock, ATS (324)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (179)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifles, 7x Markerlights (137)
Fast Attack - 4x Gun Drones (32)

With the remaining points, let's make the drone unit much larger, and give the Stealthsuits a Drone Controller. This way the Drones can hang with the Stealthsuits if you need extra firepower, or with the Riptide if it needs protection. The list would still have a few open points remaining, so let's give the Stealthsuit Shas'vre a Markerlight and Target Lock. Here's the final list:

-

Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Markerlight & Target Lock, Homing Beacon (124)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Cyclic Ion Raker, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (179)
Fast Attack - 10x Pathfinders w/ 3x Rail Rifles, 7x Markerlights (137)
Fast Attack - 8x Gun Drones (64)

Total: 1002 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

What do you think?

bansh
Shas

Post#6 » Sep 04 2017 01:52

You are very short on numbers on the field....
.i have found that the smaller the model count, the more you're up against it this edition...that said if you are enjoying the way your list plays, focus on those elements and build on that....i like a troop gunline supported by a good 'heavy platform' followed by a decent hammer blow manta striking in to throw a cat in the pigeons....so to speak
Fet a stormsurge and your life will be the richer for it :D

sabaw
Shas

Post#7 » Sep 04 2017 10:10

Thank you gents for the responses!

Drop the stim injector on the ghostkeel and give your stealth suits a drone controller - you will find the +1 BS invaluable

Yeah, in the list im running he doesnt have the stim anymore.

In fact the list im running now after some playthroughs is closer to this

++ Vanguard (Tau Empire)

+ Elites

Firesight Marksman

XV104 Riptide : Advanced Targeting System , Heavy Burst Cannon , Target Lock
. Smart Missile Systems : 2x Smart Missile System

XV95 Ghostkeel : Early Warning Override , Fusion Collider , 2x MV5 Stealth Drone , Target Lock
. Fusion Blasters : 2x Fusion Blaster

+ HQ +

Commander: 3x Fusion Blaster, MV4 Shield Drone, MV4 Shield Drone , Shield Generator

Commander [: 3x Cyclic Ion Blaster , MV4 Shield Drone , MV4 Shield Drone , Shield Generator

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team : 4x Markerlight , 2x Rail Rifle

Tactical Drones : MV4 Shield Drone , MV4 Shield Drone , MV4 Shield Drone , MV4 Shield Drone , MV4 Shield Drone

+ 'Faction +

Sept Selection: T'au

++ Total: [994 Pts] ++

Yeah, the ionmander just really gives a better pinch than even the ghost suits, which is too bad.

I also agree with the drone controller on the stealth suits, it adds a nice bonus without taking a weapons slot from whoever you have coming in on the homing beacon.

As i am no longer taking any gun drones, it becomes moot. Might be great for when i do higher points though!

The first thing I'd do is make the following changes: Give the Commander a pair of Shield Drones, and switch the Ghostkeel's loadout to Cyclic Ion as opposed to Fusion. The list would look like this:

Yup! gave him shield drones and they have worked out just wonderful for him!
What makes cyclic ion better than the fusion though? Since im purposing the keel for anti-tank duties, wouldnt the d3 fusion work wonders?

Great list though and definitely something i should try!

You are very short on numbers on the field....
.i have found that the smaller the model count, the more you're up against it this edition...that said if you are enjoying the way your list plays, focus on those elements and build on that....i like a troop gunline supported by a good 'heavy platform' followed by a decent hammer blow manta striking in to throw a cat in the pigeons....so to speak
Fet a stormsurge and your life will be the richer for it :D

This is true, i feel as if im plopping down only a few models when i deploy (in fairness, the people who i fight also use only a couple of units, barring my necron friend)

Im on the fence of the surge. At the moment, what i read is divided if its great or not. Its also such an expensive model (in points and in real money!), affording me to field more models if i buy other things. If i was to get it as well, id need to convert it since id love it with arms! lol

Right now im more of just liking the huge mech models, so i field em. Looking forward, however, into 1500pts and beyond, gives me though of what i should follow up with next.

One of my dilemmas are the crisis suits. Right now, i can agree (in my neophyte view) that they're kinda terrible. So, i don't feel like i want to get em. Secondly, i don't like the models. 15 years ago when i first saw em (was still playing fantasy at the time) i thought they were the best! Fast forward to now, i feel as if im looking at 5 edition fantasy figs when beside the more streamlined and detailed models (i love the newest commander model, keel, tide and broadside models, they just look so cool). So thats a second point.

So what im looking at is a start collecting box.
Its a great value but heres my contention.
They contain the suits, which are in limbo (aesthetically and functionally) at the moment.
They contain fire warriors, which brings me to my next point.

Firewarriors vs pathfinders. Both cool models, but both almost the same. Fire warriors get an additional armor point but pathfinders are more killy (with 3x special weapons). They have the same points, pathfinders get markerlights.

I guess is what im trying to say, my dilemma now is whether i should get, say, another box of pathfinders and a commander "blister" or a box of start collecting. Puts me at about the same total but totally different contents.

Thanks for all the inputs once again!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Sep 04 2017 06:48

Looks like you're really thinking this through! I'll say one thing though- tanks are dangerous, but infantry can be very dangerous too. Your current army has every unit filling an anti-elite or anti-vehicle role! For a 1000pt army, this seems like too much specialization- you need units to cover a variety of possible targets.

sabaw wrote:
++ Vanguard (Tau Empire)

+ Elites

Firesight Marksman

XV104 Riptide : Advanced Targeting System , Heavy Burst Cannon , Target Lock
. Smart Missile Systems : 2x Smart Missile System

XV95 Ghostkeel : Early Warning Override , Fusion Collider , 2x MV5 Stealth Drone , Target Lock
. Fusion Blasters : 2x Fusion Blaster

+ HQ +

Commander: 3x Fusion Blaster, MV4 Shield Drone, MV4 Shield Drone , Shield Generator

Commander [: 3x Cyclic Ion Blaster , MV4 Shield Drone , MV4 Shield Drone , Shield Generator

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team : 4x Markerlight , 2x Rail Rifle

Tactical Drones : MV4 Shield Drone , MV4 Shield Drone , MV4 Shield Drone , MV4 Shield Drone , MV4 Shield Drone

+ 'Faction +

Sept Selection: T'au

++ Total: [994 Pts] ++

A few things you should consider changing. First, your Commanders have too much shielding- two Shield Drones is plenty for one Commander, and upgrades that aren't weapons waste the Commander's amazing BS2+. Give those guys 4 weapons each! It's a fantastic kit.
Second, your army is packing a lot of big guns- Ion, Fusion, Rail, etc. In fact, every gun in your army except a few Pulse Carbines and SMS is S6 or higher. Strong weapons are nice but you need something that can handle massed infantry, which is a very real threat in 8th Ed.

sabaw wrote:Yeah, the ionmander just really gives a better pinch than even the ghost suits, which is too bad.

It gives better punch, sure, but the idea is to use both units. Stealthsuits offer comparable firepower against T4 targets and great durability too, at a lower price.

sabaw wrote:Yup! gave him shield drones and they have worked out just wonderful for him!
What makes cyclic ion better than the fusion though? Since im purposing the keel for anti-tank duties, wouldnt the d3 fusion work wonders?

The Fusion Collider has two drawbacks. First, D3 shots at BS3+ means an average of 1 hit... not a whole lot. Second, the Ghostkeel gets a stealth bonus for being far away from opponents, while the Fusion Collider gets a bonus from being close to opponents.

sabaw wrote:Firewarriors vs pathfinders. Both cool models, but both almost the same. Fire warriors get an additional armor point but pathfinders are more killy (with 3x special weapons). They have the same points, pathfinders get markerlights.

These are very different units. Fire Warriors have 12" more range than Pathfinders, extra armor, come in larger squads, and can be significantly buffed by Fireblades. Pathfinders are weaker and faster, and act as spotters (with Markerlights) or snipers (with special weapons). If you need combat infantry, use Fire Warriors. If you need Markerlights, use Pathfinders. Using Pathfinders in a combat role is a waste of their Markerlight (37.5% of their points cost).

sabaw wrote:I guess is what im trying to say, my dilemma now is whether i should get, say, another box of pathfinders and a commander "blister" or a box of start collecting. Puts me at about the same total but totally different contents.

If you don't like XV8s the Start Collecting set isn't worth the money. What your army needs now is more Fire Warriors, more Drones, and (I'd recommend) Stealthsuits.

If you want to use both a Fusion Commander, Fusion Ghostkeel, and HBC Riptide, here's one way to put the army together:

-

Troops - 10x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (83)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ Fusion Collider, 2x Fusion Blasters, Target Lock, Multi-Tracker; 2x Stealth Drones (210)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller (95)
Fast Attack - 8x Gun Drones (64)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders (48)

Total: 1000 - Command Points: 4 (1 Vanguard Detachment)

-

What do you think?

Return to “Cadre Building”