EWO and Characters

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
GND
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: EWO and Characters

Post#19 » Sep 06 2017 03:49

CDR_Farsight wrote:The EWO rule actively bypasses target selection whereas it does not actively bypass range and LoS. It is not an "all or nothing" situation. There is no choice in the targeting; therefore, you are not breaking the rule of CHOOSING TO TARGET a character. [Chosen] is the key word here...there is no choice whatsoever in how the EWO targets.

But it does not actively bypass target selection :D There is nothing of that sort written in the rule. It doesn't even use the word target. You simply "may shoot at that unit". May expresses possibility. If there is another rule prohibiting you from doing so, you simply "may not" :P

Targeting, checking range and LOS is a single step in the shooting sequence. EWO either starts the shooting sequence before this step (and you have to obey the step completely as there is no explicit permission to ignore any parts of it) or after this step (and then you can shoot through solid walls and beyond you normal max range). And the first options seems more likely, otherwise the game starts to break down in multiple places.

CDR_Farsight wrote:It's called an Early Warning OVERRIDE...as in it overrides the normal targeting of the model to target a threat it has detected appearing close by that the operator may not have detected.

Now that's just silly to use as an argument. Wargear names have no rules bearing.

Blinx
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Sep 06 2017 04:17

GND wrote:Targeting, checking range and LOS is a single step in the shooting sequence. EWO either starts the shooting sequence before this step (and you have to obey the step completely as there is no explicit permission to ignore any parts of it) or after this step (and then you can shoot through solid walls and beyond you normal max range). And the first options seems more likely, otherwise the game starts to break down in multiple places.

This is what I take from the rules.

I think they need something a bit more explicit on the wording of EWO. Something like 'You may shoot at the unit, so long as it is a valid target.'. And if they want to exclude the character targeting rule they either need to include just this one or explicitly exclude range and LoS.

I would like to see 'You may shoot at the unit even if it is a Character' as I think not being able to target characters with EWO is a bit open to exploits but we'll have to wait till our codex to see I guess. :sad:

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Sep 06 2017 10:17

GND wrote:
CDR_Farsight wrote:It's called an Early Warning OVERRIDE...as in it overrides the normal targeting of the model to target a threat it has detected appearing close by that the operator may not have detected.

Now that's just silly to use as an argument. Wargear names have no rules bearing.

It is a silly argument...these are all silly arguments...but anyone trying to ascribe anything other than rules as written cannot overlook it since there are only two possible rule sets, RAW and RAI. Intent is derived from function, function where there is no precedence is derived from nomenclature, nomenclature is derived from fluff.

RAW says shoot them...if you are arguing anything other than RAW then you cannot categorically disqualify any piece of information.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Foolish Jack
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Oct 01 2017 08:45

Was away from the forum for a minute, but frankly I couldn't disagree more with Gragagrogog.
The exact phrasing in the FAQ is "You may also make shooting attacks at enemy Characters which occur outside the Shooting phase". Regardless of what they intended with the "As if", RAW clearly shows that the EWO attack occurs outside the Shooting phase. Any argument against being able to target characters would directly contradict both the FAQ and the rulebook.

Return to “Rules & FAQ”