3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
bobby hostile
Shas

Re: 3D print extra parts: Stormsurge, Riptide, Piranha, ...

Post#145 » Aug 23 2017 03:23

Thanks for all your hard work dude. Have you ever thought about scaling down the hands for Crisis suits?

If I ever pick up a Stormsurge, I'm going to be order quite a few or your parts.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#146 » Aug 23 2017 05:26

Thanks.

Actually the riptide sized hand are a little difficult to assemble with the tiny fingers. So creating a crisis full customizable hand will be a pain. The commander plastic kit already provide different hands that are fine. Unless you need more hand poses, I don't see the need to do crisis hands.
But it's not much to make hand variations, so if you really need spare crisis hands, this will not be a problem.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#147 » Sep 09 2017 03:21

Hello fellow Tau players.

I started to build some crisis suits yesterday but I prefer the stealth barrels to the gatling style Burst Cannon.
So I made some stealth covers for BC (new crisis-size, but must probably be compatible with other BC) to be 3D printed:

If anyone need some, I put them on Shapeways (pack of 6, but more could be ordered with a PM):
https://www.shapeways.com/product/B8X763KJJ

Be advised that I hadn't received them at the moment, so they are not tested. So if anyone order them and receive them before me, I would appreciate some inputs (specially if tested on other model than crisis).

Cheers.

Side note to everyone that have small bits ideas for Tau: I may have some time in October to do some 3D work, so if you have submitted ideas in the past or have new ideas, please let me know what you propose

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#148 » Sep 09 2017 08:20

Nice work as always Kael'yn.

The closed off burst cannon barrel is far better visually than any of the predecessors. :)

Keep up the great work.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#149 » Sep 09 2017 09:58

Agreed. Clean and simple solution to a weapon which otherwise looks like it doesn't really fit in.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#150 » Sep 10 2017 03:46

Nice Idea! I've been trying some thing similar with larger burst cannons on tanks
and Riptides

These take some time to produce, but if you had the time they should be easy enough to scale up from your crisis design?

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#151 » Sep 10 2017 06:53

@MODELGLUE
Thanks.
(And I still have some design from you that I intent to made once I will have a Crisis done in 3D)

@AgentArrow
Thanks. I ebayed some stealth BC once to made a TwinBC Hazard from my Cascade Fusion, but these kind of bits are hard/costy to found.

@Ironsky
Thanks. Actually, when I searched solutions to convert BC to StealthBC, your thread inspired me at first, but with my poor skills at GS and the amount of guns to make, I go to 3D instead.
You are right, the BC on tanks (and maybe piranha and flyers too) are bigger. So I will post some upscaled versions too.
I will not follow your design, which is too close to GW design to be safe (after the troubles of Pop Goes The Monkey store, I don't want to put something too obviously copied).

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#152 » Sep 10 2017 10:22

Kael'yn wrote:(And I still have some design from you that I intent to made once I will have a Crisis done in 3D)

Take your time, there is no way I can get to any hobby time at the moment, so if you put it at the very back of the line that might work best for both of us!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#153 » Sep 10 2017 02:45

Kael'yn wrote:...
@Ironsky
Thanks. Actually, when I searched solutions to convert BC to StealthBC, your thread inspired me at first, but with my poor skills at GS and the amount of guns to make, I go to 3D instead.
You are right, the BC on tanks (and maybe piranha and flyers too) are bigger. So I will post some upscaled versions too.
I will not follow your design, which is too close to GW design to be safe (after the troubles of Pop Goes The Monkey store, I don't want to put something too obviously copied).

That makes sense, mine are for personal use. I haven't got round to doing any others yet. I'll be interested to see how they come out!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#154 » Sep 10 2017 04:14

MODELGLUE Eio'Y wrote:Take your time, there is no way I can get to any hobby time at the moment, so if you put it at the very back of the line that might work best for both of us!

No pb. I just wanted you to know that I had not forgotten your idea.

Ironsky wrote:That makes sense, mine are for personal use. I haven't got round to doing any others yet. I'll be interested to see how they come out!

Now the item are:
6x Crisis/Piranha sized
12x Crisis/Piranha sized
4x Devilfish/Hammerhead/Skyray/Sunshark/Razorshark sized
1x Riptide sized

May it saves you some modelling. Conversion to pure Tau stealth barrel is quite simple: GS the vents, cut a ridge in the round bits.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#155 » Sep 11 2017 12:30

They look really good! That would've saved some time!

MikeMurdock
Shas'Saal

Post#156 » Sep 12 2017 01:29

I am loving the work Kael'yn.I have to pick a few of those up for my crisis suits. I did have a idea since I already say these on the storm surge parts on shapeways. Maybe make some custom heads for crisis suits or even make hands for them as well. I know many tau players would love to get some hands for there crisis suits or heck even there Stealth suits as well.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#157 » Sep 12 2017 06:50

Quality addition, never liked the spindly Burst Cannon rotary design - it's why I added a central rod to give more density to it. But as agreed, the Stealth casing just looks so much better and tactically sensible.

As for Pop Goes The Monkey store, he did sail too close to the wind whatever folks say. 20yrs in design and dealing with IP etc, it was just a matter of time. So again, agree with your sentiment for ensuring a tangent of design style and not directly themed.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#158 » Sep 13 2017 10:41

@ Ironsky
Now you have solution if you need to do more BC :) .

@MikeMurdoch
Thanks.
Custom head are something I am working on (someone asked stealth helmet for crisis). Any design you think that would be cool could be shown.
Hands for crisis were asked before. Since they could be found in Commander boxes (there are some on sale on Ebay and bits stores) and ATT have some walkthrough to do some with plasticard, I didn't done them. Also, Crisis hands are tiny so I don't know if the details will print correctly. I planned to resize my Stormsurge hands at the Crisis scale to see what quality the print goes (It will wait a little, as I am still doing other things to prototype).

@Tael
Maybe my current design is too close to GW's... The red line for me is to do carbon copies and reusing GW symbols.
I have other designs in the pipe for gatling barrels (specially one with a blended cowl, something similar to one-part old Forgeworld BC)

Also, this is a preview of a part that will be included in a crisis upgrade set:
(again, it has the same overall shapes to be WYSIWYG, but details differs)
Credits to AgentArrow for his featured Crisis 3D model

MikeMurdock
Shas'Saal

Post#159 » Sep 13 2017 03:47

I understand. hopefully some good comes from your test of the hands you made already. As for heads I did see some ideas from other sources like Heavy Gear for example to inspire some ideas since Northern Gear Heads look already tau like tech already. If I find ideas i can pm you some you can take ideas from

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#160 » Sep 15 2017 07:46

If Burst Cannons will ever become viable on Crisis Suits I'll for sure gonna order some from you. A Quad Burst Cannon Commander would look pretty badass. :D

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#161 » Sep 16 2017 12:46

Panzer wrote:If Burst Cannons will ever become viable on Crisis Suits I'll for sure gonna order some from you. A Quad Burst Cannon Commander would look pretty badass. :D

That's why I remade a BC Hazard from a CascadeFusion one : not enough dakka !

Here the alternate BC cowl I am working on (left on the pic):

MikeMurdock
Shas'Saal

Post#162 » Sep 16 2017 09:13

man Kael'yn. That cowl variant I am loving more than the current Burst cannon design. it still shows that it's a battlesuit burst cannon yet not exposing the barrels to being destroyed by even a stubber. guessing the slots on it are venting ports so the barrels won't heat up?

Return to “Modelling”