Longstrike + Crisis Bodyguards + shield drones/tactical drones

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Longstrike + Crisis Bodyguards + shield drones/tactical drones

Post#1 » Aug 01 2017 02:31

So the main purpose of the combo is:
Longstrike and Hammherheads for Fire Caste Examplar
Crisis bodyguards for Sworn Protectors rule to be used
Shield drones for savior protocols
Tactical drones to repair crisis bodyguards

How to do it:
1. Longstrike gets hit, takes a wound, roll a save for his 3+ armor save and Longstrike fails the save
2. Crisis bodyguards unit roll a D6 for their Sworn protector rule on which ''.....a character does not lose a wound but this unit suffers a mortal wound''
3. Next turn Tactical drones repair the crisis bodyguards
4. Longstrike survival rate increased

Exploit:
Is it possible to transfer wound which longstrike fails to save, which then crisis bodyguards take the mortal wound from Sworn protectors to the Shield drones which then the shield drones use their FNP?

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Re: Longstrike + Crisis Bodyguards + shield drones/tactical drones

Post#2 » Aug 01 2017 03:03

azlanpower wrote:Exploit:
Is it possible to transfer wound which longstrike fails to save, which then crisis bodyguards take the mortal wound from Sworn protectors to the Shield drones which then the shield drones use their FNP?

No, as The bodyguards take damage from their ability, and the Drones need to jump in on succesfull To Wound rolls which is before that.

jens
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 07 2017 04:44

Hmm I like the Idea, it will give LS 9 more wounds .. but even if you just put a SG on each bodyguard .. I mean you can almost get an QFC for those points. Maybe if you put flames on them in a Spearhead D. .. with drones .. then they serve as an assault deterrent and area denial ..

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 12 2017 08:08

The jury is still out on this IMO. The rules are ambiguous enough that Pete Foley himself said to roll a dice for it at NOVA.

I don't know about the other formats, but at least in the narrative it was legal because the ability may transform the damage to a wound (which coincidentally also takes you back to the wound allocation step causing the confusion) but the root cause of the mortal wound is still an enemy attack.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Sep 12 2017 09:00

I'd say it's clearly a "no" after FAQ rewording which says something like "... if an enemy attack successfully wounds", the wound on bodyguards is technically caused by your own ability, not by enemy attack. Also I'm 90% sure this isn't intended.

But sure, you could say it's a causal chain started by enemy attack and how the attack is resolved (skipping from one step to another...) isn't clear either... this should've been in FAQ ages ago.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Sep 12 2017 10:57

I'd say don't play it that way with your friends unless they are try-hards (like mine), but doing it in competitive space is ok.

It really only shines against single damage attacks anyways and only gives you a few additional "pocket wounds." Multi-damage attacks are better going directly to a drone.

Plus they have to target the commander to start the chain in the first place, which is hard to do even if they want to, but the first time they see the chain in action, they will just go after the Bodyguards and/or Drones bypassing the chain anyways.

However....if your friends are horrible people like mine, I have found a surefire way to troll the crap out of them.

Warlord:
Commander: 2x Fusion, Shield Generator, Stimulant Injectors 2x Shield Drones
Warlord Trait: 6+ FNP

Ethereal: Hover Disk, 2x Shield Drones

Crisis Bodyguard: 2 CIB and Stim Injectors, some combination of Shield and Gun Drones

Use Sense of Stone with the Ethereal

1. Warlord out in front gets shot
2. Armor or Invul save
3. 3x 6+ FNP for each damage (Stims, Warlord Trait, Sense of Stone)
4. 2+ Sworn Protector
5. 2x 6+ FNP on the Bodyguard (Stims, Sense of Stone)
6. 5+ FNP on the Shield Drone

I'll let someone else do the math on the percentage of damage that will actually go through to kill a single Shield Drone

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 12 2017 10:58

Gragagrogog wrote:I'd say it's clearly a "no" after FAQ rewording

If you know who Pete Foley is, then you would know that it is most definitely clearly not a "no" at this juncture...

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Sep 12 2017 08:02

Gragagrogog wrote:I'd say it's clearly a "no" after FAQ rewording which says something like "... if an enemy attack successfully wounds", the wound on bodyguards is technically caused by your own ability, not by enemy attack. Also I'm 90% sure this isn't intended.

But sure, you could say it's a causal chain started by enemy attack and how the attack is resolved (skipping from one step to another...) isn't clear either... this should've been in FAQ ages ago.

I didn't see any change to the wording of crisis bodyguards in the faq I just downloaded before posting this. It got the faq from gw's website. Perhaps I am missing something though.

From what I understand from all the rules i have available to me, I think that you would be able to pass a wound from any character, Longstrike included, to a crisis bodyguard as a mortal wound, which would then pass to a drone as a mortal wound. The save would only be made on the last model to receive the wound in the chain, but it could pass wounds from a tank to a drone which is hilarious. At least as far as I understand it.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Sep 13 2017 09:45

Aj'T'au wrote:I think that you would be able to pass a wound from any character, Longstrike included, to a crisis bodyguard as a mortal wound, which would then pass to a drone as a mortal wound. The save would only be made on the last model to receive the wound in the chain, but it could pass wounds from a tank to a drone which is hilarious. At least as far as I understand it.

Good catch...I misspoke on the chain. What I left out is that you take them on the bodyguard up until one bodyguard has a single wound left, then you start passing straight down to the shield drones.

AlmostMercury
Shas

Post#10 » Oct 03 2017 05:03

Saviour Protocols:
If a <Sept> Drones unit is within 3" of a friendly <Sept> Infantry or <Sept> Battlesuit unit when an enemy attack successfully wounds it, you can allocate that wound to the Drones unit instead of the target. If you do, that Drones unit suffers a mortal wound instead of the normal damage.

I mean, appeals to authority aside... I guess you could argue that the mortal wound (while not directly caused by an enemy attack) is at least indirectly caused by an enemy attack, thus satisfying the trigger.

Hmmm... didn't occur to me to read it that deeply. Still, I'd be sitting on the directly required side of the fence.

The idea that suffering the mortal wound from being a bodyguard opens a whole bunch of doors though... If the "successful wound" means a wound roll, then you can't pass the mortal wound to a drone. It (the bodyguard) was not successfully wounded--the tank was. But if it doesn't mean a wound roll, then the model is successfully wounded on damage again making the shield drones useless. It certainly doesn't mean both.

Return to “Tau Tactics”