2000 Point TAC List

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Pogman
Shas'Saal

2000 Point TAC List

Post#1 » Aug 26 2017 11:01

Hey folks, I wrote up a 2k list for my local scene. I think it's got an answer to whatever comes at me, but please let me know if I have any glaring omissions or dumb choices.

The idea here is that farsight drops down with the unit of CIB suits. The fireblade sticks with 2 strike teams to buff them, while the third strike team acts bubble wrap for the tanks, if needed. Otherwise, they'll go with the fireblade as well. Missile commander can either start on the board or off depending on the situation.

+++ 8th Edition List (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [109 PL, 1999pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade: Markerlight

Longstrike: 2x Smart missile system, Railgun

+ Troops +

Strike Team
Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
7x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team

Strike Team
6x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits: Homing beacon
2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: 2x Advanced targeting system, 2x Burst cannon
Stealth Shas'vre: Fusion blaster
Markerlight + Target Lock: Markerlight, Target lock

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 5x MV1 Gun Drone
Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Plasma rifle
Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Plasma rifle
Crisis Shas'vre: Drone controller, 2x Plasma rifle

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team
4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol
2x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: 2x Ion rifle

Pathfinder Team
4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
2x Pathfinder w/ Ion Rifle: 2x Ion rifle

Tactical Drones: 7x MV1 Gun Drone

+ Heavy Support +

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Railgun

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Commander: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

Commander: Advanced targeting system, 3x Missile pod

Commander Farsight

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 5x MV1 Gun Drone
Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
Crisis Shas'vre: 2x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Re: 2000 Point TAC List

Post#2 » Aug 30 2017 02:52

This is a nice, well balanced list. Pretty cool! I like the variety you have, it'll be hard to deal with everything efficiently for any list.

I think you can make it even better with a few tweaks.

Firstly, I think your one stealth team is a bit overloaded. You don't really need the homing beacon as you can drop outside 9" and shoot things, even with the fusionmander, in-fact it makes them a prime first target. Secondly, they don't need fusion blaster on them. Hitting on 4s makes it dicey at best. Sure you can ML stuff but the whole point of stealth teams is to 1) Deny counter infiltration and deepstrikes 2) sit on objectives in cover with -1 to hit and 2+ save 3) Maybe charge and tie things up that aren't good in melee if the opportunity arises.

Having a fusion blaster means you are actively moving to make full use of it. It's unnecessary. Instead keep the stealth team stock and with the new extra points, upgrade the plasma crisis to CIBs. Plasma is just too underwhelming, even at that price point. You might as well get burst cannons if you want to keep them cheap, to pump more volume to handle conscript blobs, etc.

The rest looks good!

CrappingEagle
Shas

Post#3 » Sep 13 2017 11:55

I would say drop farsight and put either a CIB commander in or another fusion commander in. In my personal experience with farsight he doesn't put out for how many points he is worth and in almost all cases another commander would put out more damage and provide more value for point cost.

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 13 2017 12:11

After doing some more research I ended up changing the list a bit. Plasma is out, and as is their squad of drones.

I'm repurposing that squad as crisis bodyguards for longstrike, who'll also be my warlord with feel no pain. Here's the updated list.

+++ 8th Edition List (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [113 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade: Markerlight

Longstrike: 2x Smart missile system, Ion cannon, Seeker missile

+ Troops +

Strike Team
Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle

Strike Team

Strike Team

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits
3x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: 3x Advanced targeting system, 3x Burst cannon
Stealth Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, Burst cannon
Markerlight + Target Lock: Markerlight, Target lock

XV8 Crisis Bodyguards
Crisis Bodyguard: Burst cannon, Stimulant injector
Crisis Bodyguard: Burst cannon, Drone controller, Stimulant injector
Crisis Bodyguard: Burst cannon, Stimulant injector

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team
6x Pathfinder: 6x Markerlight

Pathfinder Team
6x Pathfinder: 6x Markerlight

Tactical Drones: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 4x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Heavy Support +

TX7 Hammerhead Gunship: 2x MV1 Gun Drone, Railgun

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) ++

+ HQ +

Commander: Advanced targeting system, 3x Cyclic ion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Elites +

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV7 Marker Drone
Crisis Shas'vre: 2x Cyclic ion blaster, Drone controller

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Sep 13 2017 01:09

First off...I am not trying to change the feel of your list. I absolutely hate it when people come on here with a proposed list and other members completely ignore the OP and his/her original intent and just put out their own list as a suggested "tweak."

So here are my little pointers...

The bodyguard trick is nice with Longstrike, but you may find them sitting in the back twiddling their thumbs if they only have a 18" range weapon. That would be quite a few points sitting idle if they choose to only attack Longstrike with long ranged weapons or even ignore him completely. If you still wish to employ that strategy, I would suggest shaving something to switch them out for Missile Pods so they won't find themselves lacking a target on most boards. Shooting enemy troops off of objectives or stripping wounds off of light transports as they advance is a good role for them.

I would also drop the stim on the DC Crisis suit and add another Burst Cannon (perhaps even drop the DC depending on how many gun drones you anticipate having in the backfield). If you are down to your last saves on your last suit in the unit, then your likelihood of pulling off critical FNPs is already super low. Better to have those extra shots. I'm actually not a huge fan of stims on anything less than 6 wounds anyways, but if you are going for a FNP chain then by all means. BUT....if you ARE going for an FNP chain, consider finding a spot for an ethereal. He can give you another blanket FNP and if you find yourself not getting any backfield pressure, he has other nifty abilities he can put out....like letting your LS reroll that stupid 1 he always seems to get to hit...or helping the Crisis Bodyguard get into the fight faster...or helping those drone squads stay around to bubble wrap your tanks.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Sep 13 2017 01:17

Solid advice, thank you!

If it were up to you, do you see any surplusage that could get shaved down to give each suit a missile pod and maybe squeeze in an ethereal?

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Sep 13 2017 01:57

Honestly, if this is for a local store and you are looking to make friends, I would not use 3x Commanders. I limit myself to only 2x commanders when playing casual.

Also, your list really only has enough markerlight support to put 5 ML on 1 target only semi-reliably. Because of Longstrike and the commanders BS 2+, you could probably be fine with fewer markerlights spread out to provide single hits on at least 3 targets.

Your stealth team is a bit unfocused. The ATS benefits the bursts, but the bursts cannot be fired if you fire the markerlight. I would either spec them as a semi-durable markerlight source or as a semi-durable S5 AP-1 shot source. They are not super great at either role to be honest, but they are worse at each if they try to do both when looking at it from a points efficiency model.

Pathfinders are squishy and you'll never be able to wash the stains out of your battlemats. I generally only field them in Tidewall Drone Ports where their guts can be easily sprayed out with a hose.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Sep 13 2017 02:29

Took your advice and dropped the second fusion commander, minimized pathfinder squad sizes, and dropped the marker light from the stealth squad.

With those points i gave the second hammerhead a SMS, added markerlight drones to the solo drone squad, added the ethereal, and gave each of the bodyguards a missile pod. I think this is a good idea, prevents the list from being too top heavy.

Return to “Cadre Building”