Combined arms FoF

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
User avatar
Draco023
Shas'Saal
Posts: 47

Combined arms FoF

Post#1 » Sep 12 2017 07:13

I haven't tried this in a game yet, just set up a few trials on my own against static units. But it seemed to be very effective against Marines and even crisis suits.

For 501 points you have:
Darkstrider, a fireblade, 10 breachers and two squads of 5 strikers with rifles in 2 devil fish with drones.

Run the fish up side by side into the unit you want to eliminate, engage in HtoH on that turn with enough space between them to be able to deploy the boys( and girls) next turn, standard 8th edition FOF.
Stager the deployment of troops with drones up front, then breachers within 5" of the target, the fireblade within 6" of the drones and Darkstrider beside him then both squads of strikers within 15" of the target. Both the HQs use marker lights, very probably getting the one hit needed for rerolling ones, even with moving, and unleash pulse fury! Maybe have one firewarrior lob a grenade in case there is anything left to assault with the drones.

Disadvantages; it's not cheap, and since the drones can't remount (even if they do survive) it's a one shot trick. There's also the risk that if the drones lose, the breachers will be consolidated into. But the remainder can fall back next turn and fire with Darkstrider there after surviving only one turn of close combat.

Advantages; it does give you a technical battalion in 2 drops and the target unit, if not a mob, should evaporate under 20 blaster shots, wounding on 2+( vs meq) and 50 pulse shots, all rerouting ones to hit. With the fish + drones as a screen, the firewarriors should be pretty safe and able to secure an objective.

Anything I'm missing?

Edit : found something I was missing :roll:

Aj'T'au
Shas'Saal
Posts: 167

Re: Combined arms FoF

Post#2 » Sep 12 2017 07:43

Seems like an interesting tactic for sure. Paired with a XV109 Y'varha it could be a strong aggressive force and still come in under a 1000 points. :biggrin: :fear:

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1527

Re: Combined arms FoF

Post#3 » Sep 12 2017 08:38

Draco023 wrote:it's a one shot trick.


I don't play mech, but I have a feeling that this might work better not as a "one-shot trick" but rather as a method of rapid deployment. Race forward, get close to the enemy, and then set up a new forward firebase. You'd never re-mount unless there were serious threats heading your way.

User avatar
Draco023
Shas'Saal
Posts: 47

Re: Combined arms FoF

Post#4 » Sep 12 2017 08:45

Arka0415 wrote:
Draco023 wrote:it's a one shot trick.


I don't play mech, but I have a feeling that this might work better not as a "one-shot trick" but rather as a method of rapid deployment. Race forward, get close to the enemy, and then set up a new forward firebase. You'd never re-mount unless there were serious threats heading your way.


Good idea that! Meet up with a forward stealth team and inside the support range of a cover down pathfinder team.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal
Posts: 89

Re: Combined arms FoF

Post#5 » Sep 13 2017 02:16

Or meet up with battlesuits whch have just deep-struck down.

User avatar
Draco023
Shas'Saal
Posts: 47

Re: Combined arms FoF

Post#6 » Sep 13 2017 07:27

Watcher on the wall wrote:Or meet up with battlesuits whch have just deep-struck down.


Could, I've been running my suits as close assault units, but with the right load out that would work well.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1527

Re: Combined arms FoF

Post#7 » Sep 13 2017 07:07

Draco023 wrote:
Watcher on the wall wrote:Or meet up with battlesuits whch have just deep-struck down.


Could, I've been running my suits as close assault units, but with the right load out that would work well.


I'm not a big fan of Battlesuits arriving any time that isn't turn 1, but this could be a fun way to do CIB drops or cheap Plasma Rifle drops. Set up a forward firebase by disembarking at the start of turn 2, castle up, and then drop in at the end of said turn 2.

User avatar
deathboon
Shas'Saal
Posts: 207

Re: Combined arms FoF

Post#8 » Sep 13 2017 09:02

What's the advantage of using 2 teams of firewarriors instead of 2 squads of gun drones, is it just that it makes a battalion detachment?
Also why a 10 man breacher instead of 2 five man teams?

User avatar
Draco023
Shas'Saal
Posts: 47

Re: Combined arms FoF

Post#9 » Sep 13 2017 09:10

deathboon wrote:What's the advantage of using 2 teams of firewarriors instead of 2 squads of gun drones, is it just that it makes a battalion detachment?
Also why a 10 man breacher instead of 2 five man teams?

Yes, for the battalion and if I remember correctly the new chapter approved gives priority to troops for claiming objectives. And I know the drones are better by math within 9 inches, but I don't want every one that bunched up and fluff wise it just bothers me.

The reason I split the strikers instead of the breachers is that the fireblade buffs every unit within 6" but Darkstrider only buffs a single unit.

User avatar
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1527

Re: Combined arms FoF

Post#10 » Sep 13 2017 09:56

Draco023 wrote:
deathboon wrote:What's the advantage of using 2 teams of firewarriors instead of 2 squads of gun drones, is it just that it makes a battalion detachment?
Also why a 10 man breacher instead of 2 five man teams?

Yes, for the battalion and if I remember correctly the new chapter approved gives priority to troops for claiming objectives. And I know the drones are better by math within 9 inches, but I don't want every one that bunched up and fluff wise it just bothers me.

The reason I split the strikers instead of the breachers is that the fireblade buffs every unit within 6" but Darkstrider only buffs a single unit.

Didn't even notice that little synergy. Very well thought-out!! :biggrin:

User avatar
Draco023
Shas'Saal
Posts: 47

Re: Combined arms FoF

Post#11 » Sep 13 2017 10:29

Arka0415 wrote:Didn't even notice that little synergy. Very well thought-out!! :biggrin:

Cheers! :D

Return to “Tau Tactics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests