[WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - new projects

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: [WIP] El'mos return to the Greater Good - new projects

Post#325 » Oct 04 2017 03:40

At the same time as all the T'au armour... salvaging a second hand Riptide ready for the new codex

Magnets may be harmed in the making of this model.

It has a Broadside sensor head as the original does not look beefy enough and have added a banner as I have some and what the heck... why not :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#326 » Oct 14 2017 06:21

Oh..wow.. in two posts your collection out masses mine in sheer tonnage too! :D

Looking forward to how this big bad boy turns out! :)

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#327 » Oct 15 2017 03:18

Well I thought I had posted my WIP yesterday but either it vanished into the warp or I forgot to press submit.... :sad:

There is frantic priming going on in the background on DF(1) /HH (3) / SR (2) - (I got a little carried away... :eek: ) and the 'Cuda but I can show you the WIP so far on the Riptide

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#328 » Oct 27 2017 02:54

It looks a bit different now it is in a factory fresh paint job. Just the weathering to do now :)

All options are magnetised - I used N52 strength 3x2mm magnets in the suit and large weapons and 2 x 1.5mm in the rest.

Lost a drone antenna somewhere...

It will take 1 evening to weather then I will start on the next Barracuda unless I get sidetracked with some new models I received last week...

https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/greater-good/greater-good-darkstriker/
Counts as Darkstrider

https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/greater-good/greater-good-veteran-okatn-28mm/

https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/greater-good/greater-good-veteran-roiden/
May change the head on this one as I am not convinced with the mini-drone hat

The last 2 will be counts as Fireblades and will get rifles as well.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#329 » Nov 01 2017 07:22

That Wargame Exclusive group do develop some nice kits and the cammo pattern realy transfers well to a larger scale :)

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#330 » Nov 03 2017 03:09

Thanks Tael :D

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#331 » Nov 03 2017 03:11

Riptide complete

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#332 » Nov 03 2017 03:13

Darkstrider counts as from Wargame Exclusive

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#333 » Nov 03 2017 03:15

Cadre Fireblade counts as from Wargame Exclusive

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#334 » Nov 05 2017 05:21

I see you stuck with the mini drone hat then? All looking very nice, I really need to clear my backlog of projects and get my hands on some of the Wargames exclusive stuff.

Always good to see your work-keep it coming!

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#335 » Nov 17 2017 04:32

Thanks Ironsky :)

Finished off another 'Cuda for the Air Wing

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#336 » Jan 06 2018 09:27

It has been a real struggle over the time since my last post here to get anything actually finished which is why I am pleased that after almost 6 weeks I have finally completed a new Hammerhead (3 times longer than usual :( ) The delay was due to the busy Christmas/New year period and a severe case of man-flu which I have still not managed to fully shake off...

There are still another 6 in the primed queue and 4 more to repaint so I think I will be painting camouflage till summer ;)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#337 » Jan 15 2018 04:06

Ooooh very nice Sir.

I know the upper surfaces took their fair work - but the worn underside is really nice. You balanced it well and it doesnt come off looking like white with smears, but actual white armor worn and weathered. :)

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#338 » Jan 19 2018 02:58

Thank you Teal :)

I can't get my camera to differentiate between the grey and white but you can see it with the eye...

This is the way I do the underbellies of my aircraft and skimmers.

The whole model is primed in matt black then the upper side is painted down to the point you want the change in colouration to begin - I use low adhesive decorators tape to mask of the lower surfaces as I use a green primer as a base for the upper surface.

I then mask off the upper surface and spray the underbelly in a light grey (car) primer. I have found one which is almost the old Fortress Grey.

Paint the underbelly in Fortress Grey (I use Vallejo Stonewall Grey (Game colour 049))

Lightly load a small strip of sponge with the grey and use it to break up the join between the upper surface and underbelly.

Lightly load a sponge with white and lightly dab random speckles of white over the underbelly and onto the join between the upper surface and underbelly.

Add decals as required

Wear and tear:

Exhausts

Lightly load a sponge with matt black and very lightly mark soot trails from engines, grills etc in the direction the vehicle would travel in ie front to back.

You can also use a flat headed brush again lightly loaded with black and draw it from the front edges backwards to give a dirty appearance but I only use this on my flyers rather than skimmers.

Paint damage

Lightly load a sponge with matt black and apply to sharp edges as a base for paint wear.

Over the black but slightly less coverage, use the same sponge to dab silver to show the paint wearing off the metal surface.

Oil streaks

I use Burnt Umber oil paint. You can pick up a tube at most craft/painting stores and it will last for many vehicles - (I still have not used 1/10th of a tube on all my vehicles including IG and DA).

Thin using turpentine until creamy and then, using a paint brush only for the oil paint, paint it onto panel lines where you want the dirt to come from - engines/landing gear/hatches etc.

Allow to dry off for 10 mins or more - depending on how thin you mixed it - then use a flat headed brush to feather the paint towards the rear of the vehicle.

Note: the oil paint will have to dry for at least 12 hours or preferably much longer before it is fully dry so move on to another project while you are waiting.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#339 » Jan 19 2018 02:59

This week has been mainly clearing up a couple of jobs which have been on the back burner for the last couple of months... and with the 6 Hammerheads in the painting queue they needed doing ;)

The cut down Burst Cannons are magnetised so they can be swapped out with the nose sensor to turn the Hammerhead into a Devilfish and vice-versa.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#340 » Feb 23 2018 03:30

Next in the painting corner is a newly arrived Ethereal from Wargame Exclusive.

It is a nice sculpt with very little tidying up to do.

I have added a GW flying base and the model should have a cloak but it will be painted separately so is not glued on yet.

Apologies for the washed out photo as the light box and camera are not set up for naked grey resin and I did not want to mess around with the settings

Return to “Project Logs”