First time building, concerns with codex

Use this area for all discussions of the "gaming" aspect of 40K/Tau.
BothanJedi
Shas

First time building, concerns with codex

Post#1 » Dec 05 2017 01:01

I am fairly new to warhammer and Tau. I’m working on building my first set of guys based off the index. The further I get, the more concerned I am that the codex will make me feel like I need to take guys apart and rebuild them due to any rule changes. Is this a common thing or am I overthinking it and I just need to keep building and painting?

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: First time building, concerns with codex

Post#2 » Dec 05 2017 01:55

As long as you're referring to our battlesuits, I would suggest you take a look at magnetizing your models.
While I don't suspect our fire warriors and pathfinders to change much, the new codex could make other weapons more attractive than the current CIB.

For my normal battlesuits I use 3x1 round magnets for the weapons, while generally I don't put anything on for the support systems. For bigger suits you might need bigger magnets, not sure what I used on my ghostkeels for the main weapons.

For broadsides I used the following guide by Deet:
http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22034&p=277410#p277410

AenarIT
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Dec 05 2017 05:10

Don't worry, it's perfectly fine to worry about it. The answer, as already mentioned, is magnetizing!

I use strong (N48) neodymium 2x1mm magnets for Crisis suits and similar things (small weapons, etc).
Bigger magnets are used for bigger stuff: 3x1mm magnets for the Broadside Seeker Missile and shoulder weapons, for example, 4x2mm (or 5x2mm, can't remember) in the waist of the Riptide and the Y'Vahra, and so on.

The trick is to use a drill that is exactly the same size of the magnets and to not mess with their polarity, always glue them in the right direction!

Magnetizing is incredibly easy and should be done whenever possible :D

Callumibob
Shas

Post#4 » Dec 05 2017 06:48

Get yourself a red/blue stick magnet then assign one colour to the body and one to attachments, can’t go wrong then across your entire army.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 05 2017 07:21

Keeping the same polarity is easy, just magnetize one gun and whenever you glue a magnet to body just use the gun to check the polarity, once you are done magnetize any remaining weapons that you need magnetised

but generaly except for big guns there is no point in worrying about polarity as you want to put metal on the crisis guns (piece cut from steel beercan, etc.) instead of wasting magnet and having to drill in

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 05 2017 11:32

Beerson wrote:Keeping the same polarity is easy, just magnetize one gun and whenever you glue a magnet to body just use the gun to check the polarity, once you are done magnetize any remaining weapons that you need magnetised

but generaly except for big guns there is no point in worrying about polarity as you want to put metal on the crisis guns (piece cut from steel beercan, etc.) instead of wasting magnet and having to drill in

From your username I would figure you'd be the expert, but where the heck are you finding a steel beer can these days?

BothanJedi
Shas

Post#7 » Dec 06 2017 10:28

Thanks for the suggestions! I only have 3 crisis suits built right now, a Coldstar Commander, and some firewarriors. I'll start magnetizing from here on out on the crisis suits and will wait to see in the new codex if I should tear the others apart to magnetize them. Luckily the coldstar commander doesn't have a whole lot of variety like normal commanders!

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 06 2017 12:47

BothanJedi wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! I only have 3 crisis suits built right now, a Coldstar Commander, and some firewarriors. I'll start magnetizing from here on out on the crisis suits and will wait to see in the new codex if I should tear the others apart to magnetize them. Luckily the coldstar commander doesn't have a whole lot of variety like normal commanders!

Coldstar literally only has shield generator as a physical option everything else he can take is "software" and not represented on the model

szeszej
Shas

Post#9 » Dec 06 2017 12:59

There are still some physical bits that could represent different systems but only magnetise these if you feel like it ;) (well, I did it)

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Dec 06 2017 02:34

Draco023 wrote:From your username I would figure you'd be the expert, but where the heck are you finding a steel beer can these days?

well it depends where you live, I hear in US they aren't too rare, but in europe it might be different, I got mine from imported german nonalcoholic beer Leon Stainer or something like that, just bring a small magnet and try it out in a shop ;)

Draco023
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Dec 06 2017 02:44

Beerson wrote:
Draco023 wrote:From your username I would figure you'd be the expert, but where the heck are you finding a steel beer can these days?

well it depends where you live, I hear in US they aren't too rare, but in europe it might be different, I got mine from imported german nonalcoholic beer Leon Stainer or something like that, just bring a small magnet and try it out in a shop ;)

Fair enough then, cheers!

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Dec 06 2017 05:12

Nymphomanius wrote:
BothanJedi wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! I only have 3 crisis suits built right now, a Coldstar Commander, and some firewarriors. I'll start magnetizing from here on out on the crisis suits and will wait to see in the new codex if I should tear the others apart to magnetize them. Luckily the coldstar commander doesn't have a whole lot of variety like normal commanders!

Coldstar literally only has shield generator as a physical option everything else he can take is "software" and not represented on the model

Actually not true. XV86 Coldstar battlesuit and XV85 enforcer battlesuit have different jump pack parts on the back.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Dec 06 2017 06:21

Studioworks wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:

Actually not true. XV86 Coldstar battlesuit and XV85 enforcer battlesuit have different jump pack parts on the back.

Do either of those affect his rules? Loads of models come with cosmetic options but they don't affect how the model plays.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Dec 06 2017 08:20

Nymphomanius wrote:Do either of those affect his rules? Loads of models come with cosmetic options but they don't affect how the model plays.

The Coldstar's big jetpack contains the advanced thrusters that allow it to move 20"-40". So I'd say it's a pretty important part of the model.

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Dec 07 2017 03:09

Arka0415 wrote:
Nymphomanius wrote:Do either of those affect his rules? Loads of models come with cosmetic options but they don't affect how the model plays.

The Coldstar's big jetpack contains the advanced thrusters that allow it to move 20"-40". So I'd say it's a pretty important part of the model.

This.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Dec 07 2017 04:24

Studioworks wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

This.

Hang on so if you buy a Coldstar, and don't attach those bits to it what is it's movement? If it's an option of 2 different things what does the other one do?

Studioworks
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Dec 07 2017 05:48

Nymphomanius wrote:
Studioworks wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:The Coldstar's big jetpack contains the advanced thrusters that allow it to move 20"-40". So I'd say it's a pretty important part of the model.

This.

Hang on so if you buy a Coldstar, and don't attach those bits to it what is it's movement? If it's an option of 2 different things what does the other one do?

Just please look at this: https://i.imgur.com/7R4SDV0.jpg

The fist one is Coldstar commander and he have a predefined weapon list. He can move up to 40". The other one have all the weapon and support system slot open so you can build a QFC or anything else.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Dec 07 2017 06:10

Nymphomanius wrote:Hang on so if you buy a Coldstar, and don't attach those bits to it what is it's movement? If it's an option of 2 different things what does the other one do?

If you don't attach those bits, then it'll look more like an Enforcer, not like a Coldstar. The big difference between the two models is the oversized thruster backpack.

Return to “General Discussion”