Optimal hammerhead loadouts?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
demurr
Shas

Optimal hammerhead loadouts?

Post#1 » Dec 07 2017 03:45

So I'm planning on adding 3 hammerheads to my army. And while everything will be magnetized, I still wanna know what would be the optimal weapon loadouts including the forgeworld ones. So far I'm thinking two railguns one of them being the longstrike and one with HYMP. Is that good? Also, what do we put on the drone slot? Burst canon seems pointless as it's exactly the same amount and quality of shots as the drone without the ability to detach can't detatch. But the SMS looks good on paper. Same firepower as the drone but bigger range and "no-los no-cover" bonus.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Re: Optimal hammerhead loadouts?

Post#2 » Dec 07 2017 04:59

Of the forgeworld hammerheads, the HYMP seems to be the only good one (pretty much turning the tank into a tough broadside).

Re: the SMS v drones. Take Drones, except on Longstrike, who can buff the SMS effectively, so you'll want to be firing it more.

Re: Ion v Railgun I honestly don't know. I have always taken rail but some people swear by ion.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 07 2017 07:49

Rail gun is good on longstrike due to the tank ace ability helps increase mortal wound chance. Ion cannon is better on normal hammerheads because more shots= less variance and more damage consistently.

Longstrike is good with SMS due to tank ace ace ability helping it damage vechiles. Gundrones can combo with fireblade cadre, as long as it is attached you can enjoy the extra 4 shots at the higher BS value of the tank. Longstrike can shoot through hard to hit abilities as well because he buffs himself with fire caste exemplar ability to allow him to shoot at +2 bs(or to shoot at +2 bs if he does a normal move)

I did some mathhammering. To see some stats check out post 119
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26389&p=338794&hilit=Longstrike#p338794

demurr
Shas

Post#4 » Dec 07 2017 08:04

Lostroninsoul wrote:I did some mathhammering. To see some stats check out post 119
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26389&p=338794&hilit=Longstrike#p338794

A nice read, thanks a lot :)

Return to “Tau Tactics”