Looking for Compact Commander Pose Ideas

Post and discuss your modelling projects with fellow modellers.
Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Looking for Compact Commander Pose Ideas

Post#1 » Dec 31 2017 09:12

I've seen lots of Commanders posted here on ATT, and while I use old XV8 Commanders I figure I'll need to switch to the new Commander model someday.

However, I like the look of Commanders that don't exactly stand out, or tower above their comrades... but the new Commander kit really is huge, standing more than head and shoulders above regular XV8s.

Does anyone know of ways to make the Commander's pose a little more compact or low-profile, so as not to stand out or stick up too much compared to the rest of the army?

Lore
Shas

Re: Looking for Compact Commander Pose Ideas

Post#2 » Dec 31 2017 10:25

It would be quite a modelling task requiring a complete reshaping of the legs but have you considered it sitting down like this human shogun?
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... oZk6avCX5x

Maybe on a rock rather than the folding chair though, never trusted those things.

namegiver
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 31 2017 02:34

I'm midway through building a Coldstar (my first new plastic commander kit, previous was FInecast <spit>). I think if you filed down the nubbins that align the knee and hip joints, you'd gain a lot of flexibility in posing -- down on one knee firing dramatically jumps to mind. By doing so, would you have any MFA problems with your local meta?

This Fibonacci joke is as bad as the last two you heard combined.
namegiver's Shi'ar Sept Project Log

Shas'la Cali Nate
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 31 2017 02:45

Here's a WIP Commander that I have kneeling, Firewarrior and old-model XV8 for size comparison
Spoiler!

I'd like to try modelling a commander (or maybe doing a commander Farsight build) sitting seiza as I think it feels appropriate to the spirit of the Fire Caste. It also might fit better for a more compact commander build

DancinHobo
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Dec 31 2017 05:19

On one knee.

Lore
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 02 2018 11:40

OK I've tried sitting it down on a rock, it makes it shorter but its still a very much bigger, more imposing than a basic xv8 even if you strip it of weapons and add a gunbai war fan.
Its such a large suit compared to the xv-8 it will be difficult to hide it in the crowd and the larger base won't help.
Will put an image up on Pintrest if I can work out how to get it off my phone.

T0nkaTruckDriver
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#7 » Feb 10 2018 03:09

Back in the days of JSJ, modeling XV8s in "compact" poses gave a pretty distinct in-game advantage. All of my older battlesuits are done this way:

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Feb 10 2018 03:50

DancinHobo wrote:On one knee.

Is his left left backwards?
I think I see his calf in the outside.

DancinHobo
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Feb 13 2018 11:50

Kerrygan wrote: