Tournament list help

Discuss and develop your army list amongst new players and veterans alike.
Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Tournament list help

Post#1 » Jan 05 2018 06:31

Hey all!

I've registered for my first ever 40k tournament in Birmingham the second weekend of March, and I'm struggling to get a solid 2000pt list together with what I've got! I've made it up to around 1500, but filling the last points is proving a puzzle with what I've got.

Anyway, here's the core:

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (T'au Empire) [76 PL, 1463pts] ++

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [8 PL, 181pts]: MB3 Recon Drone, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. 6x Pathfinder: 6x Markerlight
. Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle: 3x Rail rifle

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
. 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander [7 PL, 176pts]: 4x Fusion blaster, 2x MV4 Shield Drone

+ Troops +

Strike Team [3 PL, 43pts]
. Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse pistol, Pulse rifle
. 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 154pts]: Homing beacon, 2x MV7 Marker Drone
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: 2x Advanced targeting system, 2x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, Burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 306pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster
. Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 181pts]: 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target lock

++ Total: [70 PL, 1425pts] ++

On top of this, I have:
1xHammerhead/Devilfish
10x breachers
15x fire warriors/pulse rifles
3x crisis suits
6x stealth suits
1x ethereal
Assorted drones

I'm thinking that to complete the list I'm probably gonna have to buy a couple more models (probably another commander, trying to decide whether I can invest in a Y'vahra)

Any help or suggestions, both in terms of how to utilise what I have or what to buy, would be greatly appreciated :)
Last edited by Aspiring Commander on Jan 05 2018 06:37, edited 1 time in total.
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

TauGeorge
Shas

Re: Tournament list help

Post#2 » Jan 05 2018 06:35

Apologies that this post won't help you specifically.

Just curious as to where you normally play your 40k as i'm not to far from Birmingham and struggle to find 40k clubs in the area.

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 05 2018 06:40

Just curious as to where you normally play your 40k as i'm not to far from Birmingham and struggle to find 40k clubs in the area.

Just double checking Birmingham UK :P

I mainly play with a couple of people at the GW shop, but there's a cafe next door that runs games every Thursday (I think it's called Geek Retreat?)

There's also Manaleak to the south of the city that runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

-Commander Shadowsun

gunrock
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 05 2018 11:07

Hey Aspiring Commander! I've been working on a list that runs similar core units, and I get where your coming from. Overall, I think what you have looks solid, but determining what your core play style is before making too many concrete recommendations is key. Here's some thoughts on what you have so far:

Aspiring Commander wrote:
+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [8 PL, 181pts]: MB3 Recon Drone, MV31 Pulse Accelerator Drone, MV33 Grav-inhibitor Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. 6x Pathfinder: 6x Markerlight
. 3x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle: 3x Rail rifle

pathfinders drone team: I like running them, but they do create some minor issues. The general wisdom is to run all of them or not at all to ensure the drone unit has some durability. The disconnect I see is that they're set up with the rail rifles. The team seems to work best when paired with pulse weapons (i.e. firewarriors and gun drones) which means that your rail team is going to want to hang with your three strike teams, but part of the advantage of pathfinder weapons teams are the vanguard move combined with the independence from needing to be near the fireblade to be useful. I don't think it's a huge issue, and largely based on preference, but if you get up against the points wall don't be afraid to drop it.

rail rifle: I like them, they're beautiful against the right targets, but I'm always hesitant about the points cost on a not very durable unit. For the same cost you can run twice as many ion rifles with room to spare for a few extra marker lights. I don't think you need to cut them right away, but get to the end of the list and gauge which weapon is going to better round out the list.

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

+ Troops +

By the book and a good strong setup. Love it.

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 154pts]: Homing beacon, 2x MV7 Marker Drone
. 2x Stealth Shas'ui w/ Advanced targeting system: 2x Advanced targeting system, 2x Burst cannon
. Stealth Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, Burst cannon

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 306pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'vre: Advanced targeting system, 2x Cyclic ion blaster

XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuit [10 PL, 181pts]: 2x Burst cannon, Advanced targeting system, Cyclic ion raker, 2x MV5 Stealth Drone, Target lock

++ Total: [70 PL, 1425pts] ++

I like this setup. I like the idea of ATS on the burst cannon, as well as the marker drone setup embedded within a stealth team. Feels flexible, giving an otherwise unimpressive weapon greater utility. My only issue is that it displaces an excellent spot for a drone controller which would synergsize with the marker and XV8 drones. The XV8 setup looks solid too. To be honest I have little experience with the ghostkeel. Mostly i think of it as a virtual commander slot based on play style. Your trading extra manta strike firepower up front for a unit that can start on the board with greater survivability. I think it serves a bit of the same function as the Y'Vahra in presenting a good opening target that's durable.

Based on what you have available I would consider adding another xv-8 team and a third commander. Not having enough weapons to attack heavy targets is a bummer. Depending on what you want to gear towards some combination of fusion, CIB, and flamers seems reasonable, and balanced out with maybe a stealth team, drones, and/or more pathfinders. I don't want to offer too strong of a recommendation, because I really do think it comes down to play style and meta.

What your orientation as a player is is particularly important in those last 500-600 points, do you want to play a defensive, offensive, or evasive game? Right now your list feels pretty evenly distributed between those three camps, and clarifying your design goals should present obvious unit choices which we can then optimize.

Thoughts?
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 05 2018 11:28

Based on what you have available I would consider adding another xv-8 team and a third commander. Not having enough weapons to attack heavy targets is a bummer. Depending on what you want to gear towards some combination of fusion, CIB, and flamers seems reasonable, and balanced out with maybe a stealth team, drones, and/or more pathfinders. I don't want to offer too strong of a recommendation, because I really do think it comes down to play style and meta.

Another commander and a flamer-crisis team was where I looked first, and I came up with this (but I wasn't quite happy with it)

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (T'au Empire) [27 PL, 573pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander [6 PL, 156pts]: Advanced targeting system, 3x Missile pod

+ Elites +

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits [7 PL, 162pts]: Homing beacon, 2x MV7 Marker Drone
. Stealth Shas'vre: Drone controller, Fusion blaster

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [14 PL, 255pts]: 4x MV1 Gun Drone, 2x MV4 Shield Drone
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Flamer
. Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Flamer

++ Total: [27 PL, 573pts] ++

To be honest I have little experience with the ghostkeel. Mostly i think of it as a virtual commander slot based on play style. Your trading extra manta strike firepower up front for a unit that can start on the board with greater survivability. I think it serves a bit of the same function as the Y'Vahra in presenting a good opening target that's durable

The ghostkeel is a brilliant distraction piece! It's durable and big and if left to its own devices it destroys MEQs, obviously not best damage for points but I love the miniature.

What your orientation as a player is is particularly important in those last 500-600 points, do you want to play a defensive, offensive, or evasive game? Right now your list feels pretty evenly distributed between those three camps, and clarifying your design goals should present obvious unit choices which we can then optimize.

Well how id normally set up is strike teams and the big pathfinder team at the back in a gun line, pathfinder drones and fireblade in the centre. Two smaller pathfinder squads tucked into buildings, stealth team usually near a mid table objective and the ghostkeel I place last almost in the open, far enough away it's -2 to hit for a turn. Then alpha strike hard and take out big targets with QFC and CIB crisis suits. I have a fairly aggressive play style and have been known to go a little too far forward :P

-Commander Shadowsun

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jan 05 2018 11:32

Also how do you put names to quotes in BBcode, I'm still new to this :biggrin:

-Commander Shadowsun

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jan 05 2018 11:42

Gunrock's advice is great. At least for the time being, let's drop the Pathfinder drones and switch the Rail Rifles for Ion Rifles. Let's also switch the Stealthsuits to a Drone Controller / Fusion Blaster build- after all, the Stealthsuits will be assisting the Fusion Commanders, and another Fusion Blaster up front could help. Also, front-line Markerlights are a big risk, so let's leave those out for now too.

That leaves us with this:

-

HQ - Commander w/ 4x Fusion Blasters; 2x Shield Drones (176)
HQ - Cadre Fireblade w/ Markerlight (42)
Troops - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ 6x CIBs, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster & DC, 2x Burst Cannons & ATS, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (158)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ CIR, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 3x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (60)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 6x Markerlights (48)

-

This puts us at 1324 points; we have plenty of room to grow. We already have plenty of Markerlights, a small gunline, and decent anti-tank firepower. To fill the rest of the points, I'd recommend one additonal anti-tank threat and one additional anti-infantry threat. Using your current models, we can do this by adding the rest of your Fire Warriors and an Ethereal along with three more XV8s, like this:

HQ - Ethereal w/ Honor Blade (45)

-

That leaves us with just 212 points to spend, but there's nothing else in your collection that's exceptionally competitive. If you're planning on getting a Y'vahra, that would be excellent, otherwise, we can fill the remaining points with some additional Stealthsuits or another Commander. Here's the under-construction list as I see it:

-

HQ - Ethereal w/ Honor Blade (45)
Elites - 3x Stealthsuits w/ Fusion Blaster & DC, 2x Burst Cannons & ATS, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (158)
Elites - Ghostkeel w/ CIR, 2x Burst Cannons, Target Lock, ATS; 2x Stealth Drones (181)
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders w/ 3x Markerlights, 3x Ion Rifles (60)

Total: 1804/2000 - Command Points: 9 (2 Battalion Detachments)

-

What do you think?

Aspiring Commander wrote:Also how do you put names to quotes in BBcode, I'm still new to this

Like this!

Code: Select all

[quote="Aspiring Commander"]Also how do you put names to quotes in BBcode, I'm still new to this[/quote]

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jan 05 2018 06:59

Thanks for the help so far guys! Will tweak towards my play style with your advice when I get in and have a pen and paper.

Arka0415 wrote:If you're planning on getting a Y'vahra, that would be excellent, otherwise, we can fill the remaining points with some additional Stealthsuits or another Commander

I assume that at some point I will have a moment and weakness and be making a purchase from FW. Does this work as a competitive alternative?

HQ- Commander w/ 4x fusion blaster, 2x shield drone (176)
HQ- Commander w/ 4x fusion blaster, 2x shield drone (176)
HQ- Coldstar Commander w/ high output burst cannon, missile pod, ATS, shield generator (150)
HQ- Cadre Fireblade w/ markerlight (42)
Troop- Strike Team w/ markerlight (43)
Elite- Crisis Team w/ 6x CIB, 3 ATS, 6x gun drone (306)
Elite- Stealth Suits w/ drone controller, fusion blaster, 2x burst cannon, 2x ATS, 2x shield drones, homing beacon (158)
Elite- Ghostkeel w/ CIR, burst cannons, shield generator, target lock (218)
Fast Attack- 5x Pathfinder, 5x markerlights (40)
Fast Attack- Tactical Drones, 4x gun drone, 1x shield drone (40)
Fast Attack- Y'vahra w/ ATS, stim injector (408)

Total: 1998, 8 Command Points (Battalion, Vanguard, Outrider)

Thoughts?

-Commander Shadowsun

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Jan 05 2018 11:52

Aspiring Commander wrote:Thanks for the help so far guys! Will tweak towards my play style with your advice when I get in and have a pen and paper.

Arka0415 wrote:If you're planning on getting a Y'vahra, that would be excellent, otherwise, we can fill the remaining points with some additional Stealthsuits or another Commander.

I assume that at some point I will have a moment and weakness and be making a purchase from FW. Does this work as a competitive alternative?

In general, I would recommend that new Y'vahra users stick to the Target Lock build- a build without a Target Lock is more difficult to use since the Y'vahra requires at least three Markerlights to function properly. Anyway, you'll also need some Shield Drones to support the Y'vahra in the case that you don't get first turn. Finally, I'd recommend that you bring another squad of XV8s, or an XV9- the more drones you have that can Manta Strike, the better. The Y'vahra might need a drone "refill" on turn 2.

Here's a way to tweak your list to use the Y'vahra a little more effectively:

-

HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Output Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, ATS, Shield Generator (150)
Troop - 5x Fire Warriors w/ Markerlight (43)
Elite - Crisis Team w/ 6x CIB, 3 ATS, 6x Gun Drones (306)
Elite - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon; 2x Shield Drones (126)
Fast Attack - 5x Pathfinders w/ 5x Markerlights (40)
Fast Attack - 6x Shield Drones (48)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Target Lock, ATS (415)

Total: 1996 - Command Points: 8 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

To make the points fit I did have to make the Stealthsuits cheaper, but I think it's worth it seeing the huge amount of anti-vehicle/monster firepower this list puts out.

What do you think?

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jan 06 2018 04:34

Arka0415 wrote:To make the points fit I did have to make the Stealthsuits cheaper, but I think it's worth it seeing the huge amount of anti-vehicle/monster firepower this list puts out.

What do you think?

Now that looks like a fun list to play! My only concern would be if 6 shield drones would be enough to help the Y'vahra survive first turn?

Would it be worth running a plasma crisis team instead of the second CIB team so there's more points for drones?

-Commander Shadowsun

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Jan 06 2018 04:51

Aspiring Commander wrote:Now that looks like a fun list to play! My only concern would be if 6 shield drones would be enough to help the Y'vahra survive first turn?

Shield Drones are really durable, you can expect to soak a ton of fire into 6 Shield Drones. However, if your local meta is full of long-range shooting armies then 6 won't be enough. We can move to 8 Shield Drones if you're worried about keeping the Y'vahra safe, but I wouldn't compromise the shooting effectiveness of the XV8s to do so. One thing we could do is to drop the Shield Drones from the Stealthsuits- with a Y'vahra on the field the Stealthsuits will likely not be a priority target. Plus Stealthsuits are hugely durable on their own, if they're in cover it would take more firepower than 50 rapid-firing Tactical Marines to kill them.

-

HQ - Coldstar Commander w/ High-Output Burst Cannon, Missile Pod, ATS, Shield Generator (150)
Elite - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Homing Beacon (110)
Fast Attack - 4x Shield Drones (32)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Target Lock, ATS (415)

Total: 1996 - Command Points: 8 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

-

By the way, with the remaining points it probably wouldn't hurt to fit a Drone Controller in this list- in your tournament, would it be okay to go to 2001 points? Or its it a hard limit?

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#12 » Jan 06 2018 05:01

Hi, do you know what format the tournament is?

For building Tau armies in particular it is really important to understand the missions and where to both gain and give up VP. Without knowing what they are doing with Kill Points it is very hard to give useful advice.

Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jan 06 2018 05:56

Arka0415 wrote: By the way, with the remaining points it probably wouldn't hurt to fit a Drone Controller in this list- in your tournament, would it be okay to go to 2001 points? Or its it a hard limit?

It is a hard limit, so the only points really to be made up would be putting stim injector on the Y'vahra? But I think you're right about the stealth team. If they're going for them, I've probably already lost :)

nic wrote:Hi, do you know what format the tournament is?

I do actually! It's 5 rounds, with eternal war primary objectives and maelstrom secondary, the tertiary being slay the warlord and line breaker (no first blood)

Game 1- retrieval mission/kill confirmed

Game 2- the scouring/sealed orders

Game 3- big guns never tire/targets of opportunity

Game 4- scorched earth/contact lost

Game 5- dominate and destroy/ cleanse and capture

-Commander Shadowsun

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Jan 06 2018 06:17

Arka0415 wrote: By the way, with the remaining points it probably wouldn't hurt to fit a Drone Controller in this list- in your tournament, would it be okay to go to 2001 points? Or its it a hard limit?

It is a hard limit, so the only points really to be made up would be putting stim injector on the Y'vahra? But I think you're right about the stealth team. If they're going for them, I've probably already lost :)

Yeah, why not go with the Stimulant Injector then? You'd get the points to add a Drone Controller, and even have 6 points left over. Final list could end up looking like this:

-

Elite - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon (115)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Stimulant Injector, ATS (408)

Total: 1994 - Command Points: 8 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

gunrock
Shas

Post#15 » Jan 07 2018 12:45

Arka0415 wrote:-

Elite - 3x Stealthsuits w/ 3x Burst Cannons, Drone Controller, Homing Beacon (115)
Fast Attack - Y'vahra w/ Stimulant Injector, ATS (408)

Total: 1994 - Command Points: 8 (1 Battalion Detachment, 1 Vanguard Detachment, 1 Outrider Detachment)

This looks strong. I find it slightly comical that we arrived at a very similar list through different drafting processes, but I think it speaks to this being very close to an optimal configuration for a offensive single Y'Vahra list (assuming the inclusion of infantry and XV-8s). Being as everything is at minimum squad size its not possible to make significant alterations (not that you particularly need to).

The only thing that worries me in the coldstar. I adore this unit both aesthetically and functionally, but I can envision scenarios where I would very much want the extra fusion blasters for dealing with armor. I think the reduction in anti armor firepower puts greater cumulative stress on your big targets. Conversely, you can also use the coldstar as a 'launch' for the Y'Vahra with Mont'ka to get a bit of extra reach which is a cool tactical angle to have available. This also makes the target lock a bit more valuable. The point savings from not running pathfinder weapons which allows the inclusion of the stealth team seems like a reasonable trade off.

Overall, I like this list, I think its very conducive of a tactful aggressive play style. The added mobility of the coldstar, Y'Vahra, and stealth teams opens up some interesting lines of of play. I'm gonna keep this build in mind if I start building in stealth teams (freshly painted!). If you end up running this I'd love to hear how it goes.

Oh also another note, don't be afraid to go another route. The Y'Vahra build necessitates a lot of building around it and consumes a huge chunk of points. Alternatively, you could build a very strong list without the Y'Vahra and use that space for commanders, xv-9's, and drones. I like this build, but just keep in mind that's another angle available to you.
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

CMO
Shas

Post#16 » Jan 07 2018 01:09

Hi, I love the drafted list, and wanted to add some experience from a very similar tournament I went to yesterday. I ran 3 fusion commanders, a single yvahra and longstrike with 2 hammerheads with 3 minimum strike squads, and 5 units of 4 gun drones. I found 2 cadre fireblades were giving me enough marker lights to get reroll ones to ensure that longstrike and commanders hit reliably, so I cut pathfinders from my list completely - though I do love some heavy weapons pathfinders myself! The point of the post is that my most valuable unit was actually none of the above - it was a sunshark bomber. The combination of having 6 other units that are (on paper) more of a threat meant that the sunshark survived to turn 4 in each game and all but deleted a unit of infantry in cover each turn, each game. The likes of Eldar rangers, marine scouts with cloaks, dark reapers in buildings, plasma scions and sanguinary guard with a 2+ save and massive movement that can cause havoc for commanders or yvahra with mortal wounds or plasma death just folded under the bombing runs. In two of the games I deployed the interceptor drones as additional wounds for my warlord commander in a drone emergency.

Just another perspective, though I really like your list and would love to see how you fare in the tournament.

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jan 07 2018 06:39

gunrock wrote:The only thing that worries me in the coldstar. I adore this unit both aesthetically and functionally, but I can envision scenarios where I would very much want the extra fusion blasters for dealing with armor. I think the reduction in anti armor firepower puts greater cumulative stress on your big targets. Conversely, you can also use the coldstar as a 'launch' for the Y'Vahra with Mont'ka to get a bit of extra reach which is a cool tactical angle to have available. This also makes the target lock a bit more valuable. The point savings from not running pathfinder weapons which allows the inclusion of the stealth team seems like a reasonable trade off.

I think that the Y'vraha and the two fusion commanders together can deal with a lot of armour. This may be because I usually face elder armies with a lot of support characters, but for me the coldstar does something that not many other units can, namely dash behind enemy lines just next to an important character (say a farseer) and eliminate it: something that fusion commanders, powerful as there weapons may be, cannot.
Declaring a Mont'ka for the Y'vraha turn 1 also obviates the need for a target lock or equivalent markerklight support turn 1.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Jan 08 2018 11:05

Watcher on the wall wrote:
gunrock wrote:The only thing that worries me in the coldstar. I adore this unit both aesthetically and functionally, but I can envision scenarios where I would very much want the extra fusion blasters for dealing with armor. I think the reduction in anti armor firepower puts greater cumulative stress on your big targets. Conversely, you can also use the coldstar as a 'launch' for the Y'Vahra with Mont'ka to get a bit of extra reach which is a cool tactical angle to have available. This also makes the target lock a bit more valuable. The point savings from not running pathfinder weapons which allows the inclusion of the stealth team seems like a reasonable trade off.

I think that the Y'vraha and the two fusion commanders together can deal with a lot of armour. This may be because I usually face elder armies with a lot of support characters, but for me the coldstar does something that not many other units can, namely dash behind enemy lines just next to an important character (say a farseer) and eliminate it: something that fusion commanders, powerful as there weapons may be, cannot.
Declaring a Mont'ka for the Y'vraha turn 1 also obviates the need for a target lock or equivalent markerklight support turn 1.

Yes and yes. Keep the Y'varha as is since you clearly will be supporting whatever it goes after with lights and it's really easy to get 3 lights on a target now. And keep the coldstar. He never does "amazing" things by killing people that I don't expect it to but he always grabs objectives and scores other kinds of points for me. Plus your opponent has to think about a durable somewhat shooty thing that moves 40" a turn. I could see myself definitely running a list of this type. Firewarriors and fireblade for the gimme battalion will probably be really popular once our codex drops so that we can nab extra CP.

Return to “Cadre Building”