Outcome: L
Points/PL: 2,000
Opponent: Astra Militarum
Competitive/Casual: Competitive
Tournament: Local
Format: ITC
List Theme: Yvahra + Stormsurge + 3 Commanders + Drones in Fish
Experience: 5+ years and couple tournaments a year
Additional Info: very close game and just lost by linebreaker. Opponent just had too many bodies for me to overcome for a win.

Outcome: D
Opponent: Ultramarines
Additional Info: opponent had a nasty list with 4 predators, Gman, and Tigurius which alpha killed my stormsurge turn 1 from across the board. Tactically snuck in a draw with deft maneuvering

Outcome: W
Opponent: Chaos Space Marines
Additional Info: very easy win tabling the opponent in 3 turns. He had a couple big models that made for easy work with my two big suits and the commanders

Thanks for going through the effort to compile this. Will be interesting to see.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau Win Percentage Log

Post#20 » Jan 11 2018 03:21

So after our first page of entries the results are as follows:

Overall: 55%
Competitive: 47%
Casual: 75%

Not bad actually...lest see how this trends as the pages fill up. Looks like we do have a couple of ringers in the group though :P
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Jan 11 2018 04:16

All right here goes. I'll post 1V1 games and then team games down below as I think team games you can get dragged down or lifted up by your partner so it is not as indicative of the Tau army. These are all my games as Tau. I played white scars almost exclusively though so I did start out with a good grasp of how to play 8th minus the necron team game.

Outcome: Win
Points/PL: 1500 Points
Opponent: Tyranids
Competitive/Casual: Casual
Tournament: N/A
Format: Eternal War
List Theme: Static Gunline
Experience: 20+ years with tournament experience
Additional Info: Very one sided game. Opponent was picking the game back up so I ran a much more relaxed list.

Points/PL: 125 PL
Opponent: Imperial Guard
List Theme: Mech Gunline
Additional Info: Rolled insanely high on rail gun mortal wounds. Concession turn 2

Points/PL: 125 PL
Opponent: Imperial Guard
List Theme: Broadside Gunline
Additional Info: Rematch Rolled insanely high on rail gun mortal wounds. Concession turn 3

Points/PL: 2k points
Opponent: Black Templar
List Theme: Stealth suit rush.
Additional Info: Close game till turn 4. Relic with my opponent starting on the objective which was why the game was so close as I had a monumnetal lead in terms of battlefield assets.

Points/PL: 2500 points
Opponent: Admech/Guard
Format: Open War
List Theme: Devilfish Spam.
Additional Info: Won early due to tricking my opponent and claiming all objectives

Outcome: Loss
Points/PL: 2500 points
Opponent: Admech/Guard
Format: Open War
List Theme: Devilfish Spam.
Additional Info: Rematch after quick game above. Acid rain made me miss his knight a lot. Knight got a first turn charge on me due to deployment zones. Eventually it blew up killing 20+ firewarriors 2 fireblades, a firesightmarksman and a couple drones. Poor luck on my part. First and only loss 1/1 in 8th for me.

Points/PL: 2000 points
Opponent: Guard
List Theme: Agressive Stealth Suit Drop
Additional Info: Went down to the wire very close and fun game. Felt like I was ahead with battlefield assets but points were in my opponents favour. I killed Celestine for the first time!

These are all 2v2 which I hold less weight on as far as Tau efficacy
Partner: Necrons
Points/PL: 2000 points each
Opponent: Sisters/Blood Angels
Format: Custom
List Theme: 6 Broadsides with Railguns
Additional Info: I figured when can I take 6 broadsides? Might have worked out for us but my opponent had lost 95% of his army and I didn't want to leave him hanging out doing nothing. Opponent started in the center in a custom scenario and had guaranteed first turn charges. First game with Tau and I didn't realize I could fire my weapons on the broadsides at different targets. Thought the model had to keep the same target unless it was a vehicle. I was introduced to Celestine.

Outcome: Draw
Partner: White Scars
Points/PL: 500 points each
Opponent: Sisters/Blood Angels
Format: Custom for Local
List Theme: Flamer suits and Bikers
Additional Info: Ran out of time. Would have won if the game had gone past turn 3

Opponent: Guard/Ravenwing
Additional Info: Made an aggressive early push for points. Gambit worked out and auto won on turn 3.

Opponent: Admech/Sisters
Additional Info: We got wrecked. They had Celestine and we had an aggressive army. If she ended her turn on an objective it would be destroyed. She made all her 4+ invul saves. Even if she failed she could have respawned on our objectives since she could move up and assault anyways after dying.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Jan 11 2018 04:26

CDR_Farsight wrote:So after our first page of entries the results are as follows:

Not bad actually...lest see how this trends as the pages fill up. Looks like we do have a couple of ringers in the group though :P

Neat!
What does "ringers" mean?

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Jan 11 2018 04:28

Kerrygan wrote:
CDR_Farsight wrote:So after our first page of entries the results are as follows:

Neat!

People who have not lost a game in 8th as tau yet. They are either blessed by the Gods or prefer to go seal clubbing. (seal clubbing means only choosing opponents you know you will beat without much fight) :P

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#24 » Jan 11 2018 06:27

CDR_Farsight wrote:
Kerrygan wrote:

Neat!

People who have not lost a game in 8th as tau yet. They are either blessed by the Gods or prefer to go seal clubbing. (seal clubbing means only choosing opponents you know you will beat without much fight) :P

I think the results will be skewed at the end of the day though. People who (a) use ATT regularly, (b) read threads like a "Tau Win Percentage Log", and (c) are active enough to post breakdowns of their games are probably more likely to win. Plus add in the fact that these players don't always face players who are equally skilled.

You might end up with a more representative survey if you limited all of this to just tournament play?

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Jan 11 2018 07:43

Tournament play is actually very well represented in tournament logs. We are at the top of the bottom tier there, and that is already widely accepted. I've even heard some previous Tau hater tournament players talking about how badly we've been shafted.

But to that point, I'm breaking it down overall, competitive, AND casual, but I can only make statistics based on what people report.

Nowonmai
Shas

Post#26 » Jan 11 2018 09:22

Percentages aside, as a new player, I find this post helpful in terms of seeing which armies and or specific units people are struggling with or doing well against. Good info :)
When the foe has certainty, confuse it.
When the foe seeks you out, device it
When the foe shows weakness, slay it.

Zadocfish
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Jan 12 2018 02:17

Points/PL: 70-ish PL
Format: Only War - Ancient Relic
List Theme: My entire collection as a list
Experience: 3 months (both sides)
Additional Info: I was playing my brother, and while we both made a few mistakes, his mistakes had a larger impact on the game because of the added complication of the Psychic Phase, as well as WYSIWYG hitting his Genestealers pretty hard. I also have more actual play experience, so I had a very large handicap in my favor.
I am a Christian.

Jhul'vol
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#28 » Jan 12 2018 02:35

I currently win more with my Tau then I'm losing in our casual group, but that's mainly by playing the missions and trying to hold out long enough to survive. I can only remember 3 (casual) games in 8th (out of 20+ games) in which I came close to tabling my opponent.

A few more for the list:

Points/PL: 2000 Points
Opponent: Ultramarines with Guilliman
Competitive/Casual: Casual - Competitive'ish (First tournament list try out for my opponent)
Format: Maelstrom
List Theme: Balance between gunline and aggressive elements (breacher fish, ghostkeel, barracuda)
Experience: 5+ years, one tournament.
Additional Info: Opponent was running a repulsor filled with 8 hellblasters, guilliman, the tank commander in a predator and a bunch of tacticals. Through a lucky seize I was able to destroy his predator first turn with the barracuda. By feeding guilliman and his hellblasters sub optimal targets I was able to apply pressure on the other side of the battlefield, giving me board control which led to victory.

Opponent: Imperium soup - Salamanders, Celestine, Cawl with a group of rangers and custodes.
List Theme: Gunline with two devilfish with breachers
Additional Info: My opponent wanted to just play the models he loved, so he threw a random list together without much synergy. Celestine wreaked havoc all around, but most of the other units were easily destroyed by mass pulse fire and 2 HRR broadsides (which killed Celestine in overwatch :P )

List Theme: Farsight Enclaves - Crisis, Stealth, Ghostkeel, Broadsides and some light infantry.
Additional Info: While on the maelstrom we were close, his army easily deleted mine.
Especially his backline which was protected with the -1 to hit bubble was near untouchable, with a flying hive tyrant and the swarm lord wreaking havoc in my lines.

Format: Maelstrom - One of the new CA missions
List Theme: Balance between gunline and aggressive elements (breacher fish, ghostkeels)
Additional Info: After royally stomping me with his previous 'nid list, my opponent decided to take out the guys with the -1 to hit bubble. I believe we had one of the new CA missions (could be open war as well) where you were forced to only deploy 1/3 of your list, while the rest had to be rolled for.
Broadsides with railguns were insanely effective in this mission, starting on the table and deleting a monster every turn.

I also have a bunch of wins against Orks, against the same player who played the tyranids, but that's been a while so I don't know the details anymore.

Martensite
Shas

Post#29 » Jan 12 2018 04:29

Opponent: Black Templars
Casual
List theme: Balanced mix of gunline/vehicles/manta
Experience: 5+ years, but I don't play that often
Additional info: Tough melee characters are hard to deal with once they reach your lines.

Opponent: Eldar (pre-codex)
Casual
List theme: Gunline with infantry, vehicles and a Broadside.
Additional info: I let my friend build the list and play this game, I only helped with rules/advice. Smite and Dark Reapers in cover are a pain.

Opponent:
Casual
List theme: Gunline with some stealthsuits
Additional info: It is difficult to field decent anti-tank firepower in a low points game without using a Commander. Razorback with Emperor's Champ rolled up and wrecked me while a Predator kept pounding me.

Opponent: Eldar - Ulthwé
Casual
List theme: Gunline + manta crisis
Additional info: Smite hurts, could have used some snipers against warlocks/farseer. Bad positioning of Coldstar got him killed too early.

Opponent: Black Templars + Necrons
Casual
List theme: Mixed gunline with inf/vehicles/broadsides and manta Crisis.
Additional info: Landraider survived longer than it should have thanks to smoke, and even on the last bracket it hurts a lot.

Opponent: Black Templars
Casual
List theme: 50/50 gunline-suits with vehicles/inf and manta Crisis + stealthsuits.
Experience: 5+ years but I don't play that often
Additional info: Chaplain with jump pack took me by surprise and with some lucky rolls smashed the last wounds off of my Coldstar.

Opponent: Necrons
Casual
Format: Narrative
List theme: Short range skirmish suits with some strike team support.
Experience: 5+ years but I don't play that often
Additional info: Mission for me was to survive until the end of the game, and I barely won. I had about 4 Firewarriors left after turn 7. Reanimation protocols were tough to deal with. The last destroyer made two 6+ saves in cover against Fusion blasters and then reanimated two fresh destroyer, which turned the game against me.
A roll of 4+ fails 75% of the time... every time.

JancoBCN
Shas'Saal

Post#30 » Jan 12 2018 05:54

Okay, I love that idea, thanks for doing that really important job!

Let's see how far I can recall from 8th games....:

-

Tournament: N/a
Format: Standard (Eternal War, prior to CA) Kill points mission
List Theme: Max Manta Strike (2x Hazard Teams, 2x 3-Crisis Teams, 3x QFC, 1x CIB Commander, 2x Stealth teams and kroot)
Experience: Since March 2017, but over 40 games in competitive 8th.
Additional Info: Turn 1 win on my side, I locked in combat 3 of their 4 Leman Russ only with one Stealth team and 1 of my Flamer Crisis teams, and both its basilisks. Killed the other Leman russ and he could not charge to anything relevant nor fall back with his tanks nor shoot at anything thanks to the interaction of regular Units in combat closer than characters.
Fastest Match I've ever played, he conceded before rolling a dice, and he is a Good, competitive player.

Format: Maelstorm War from Rulebook (after CA)
List Theme: Ultra Drone Spam and 2 Y'vahras + Rail Rifle Pathfinders (30 Shield drones, 25 Gun drones, 6 Pathfinder teams, 1 Ethereal and 2 Fireblades. Also one Coldstar)
Additional Info: The AM list was one of the thougher I can remember playing against (Tempestus, 5 Leman Russ, a lot of infantry, 2 Taurox Primes). He got turn 1, I was really sceptical for my chances of wining, he was too. I managed to kill the 4th tank with my last Y'vahra with 6 wounds remaining, and charging the 5th and last Leman russ to tie it up in combat. He surrended and told me that shield drones + Y'vahra is broken. He can have a point.
Love Rail rifles.

Opponent: Salamanders + Grey Knights
List Theme: 40+ Drones, 6x 5man Pathfinder teams woth 3 Rail Rifle each, 3x QFC, 3x Hazard Team
Additional Info: His list was all 5-man scouts with Missilelauncher, with 4 storm landspeeder, and then Draigo and his friends. Could not stand a chance. He was all over the battlefield before starting, and also got 1st turn, so he was just killing me while harvesting all the objective markers on the table. Was brutal.

Opponent: Blood Angels (after codex)
List Theme: 4x RailRifle Teams, 2xNormal Pathfinders, 3xBreachers, 3-man Flamer Crisis team, 3-man CIB Crisis team, 1x QFC, 1x Homing Beacon Stealth Team, 24 drones (12shield, 12 marker)
Additional Info: Got first turn, moved 7"+7" with pathfinders and anihilated all his Hellblasters T1. Poped his only vehicle and killed a normal and a primaris squad. His rolls were awfull in his T1, and my breachers were excellent.
Breacher teams advancing with 5 markerlights are really, really good.

Opponent: Orks (after CA)
Format: Ethernal War from Rulebook (after CA)
List Theme: 1 Y'vahra, 2 Hazard Teams, 1 QFC, 1 CIB Commander, 1 Coldstar, a 3-man Flamer Crisis team, a homing beaconers stealth team, 3x 5-man pathfinders and 3x 7-man Breachers.
Experience: Since March 2017, but over 40 games in competitive 8th with T'au.
Additional Info: I had first turn, and he had nothing to do. Even though my Y'vahra only moved on turn 2 to kill 2 amo runts (Nobs' drones, basically) with all her shooting, he had no chance whatsoever. He almost killed all my drones, but meanwhile I killed all his units that were a threat to the Y'vahra.

Opponent: Tyranids (after Codex)
Format: Ethernal War from Rulebook (after CA)
List Theme: 46 Drones (30 Gun, 16 Shield), 3QFC, one Flamer Crisis team, 2x Homing Beacon Stealth Teams, 1x Coldstar, 4x Rail rifle teams, 2x normal Pathfinders teams.
Experience: Since March 2017, but over 40 games in competitive 8th with T'au.
Additional Info: I had first turn, and basically I anihilated his gaunts with drones and flamers, and with fusions his Big Monsters. He was left with 800 points on the table and 250 on reserve after my turn 1. Nothing to do.

Shas'O R'Kai
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#31 » Jan 12 2018 09:57

I'll try remember the details from my last few games! I've written in the battle report section the last 5 tournament games I played so I can refer to them for a later post.

Opponent: Blood Angels(after Codex)
Format: The relic
List Theme: 2 QFC, 1 Flamer crisis team, 1 CIB crisis team, 4x full rail pathfinder teams, Firewarrior/Breacher gunline w/ Fireblade, 2x 5 Vespid, 2x Tidewall, Homing Beacon Stealthteam
Experience: 2 years recently + 2 years from 10 years ago.
Additional Info: Game one of a narrative campaign. The relic started in my deployment zone and was an area 5" by 5". Whoever controlled it at the end won. My deployment zone was in the middle, with 18" away from his deployment zone on two board sides. Railrifles in a tidewall are brutal. Almost tabled him in turn 2. He conceded.

Opponent: Blood Angels(after Codex)
Format: Killpoints
List Theme: 2 QFC, 1 Flamer crisis team, 1 CIB crisis team, Y'Vahra, Firewarrior/Breacher gunline w/ Fireblade, 2x 5 Vespid, 3x 5 Pathfinders, Homing Beacon Stealthteam
Additional Info: Game played 3 months ago. Again, tabled/conceded in turn 3. My Opponent is a friend that's new to the game but insists I don't pull my punches.

Points/PL: 1500 Points
Opponent: Necrons
Format: Standard Eternal War type mission I can't remember
List Theme: 2 QFC, 1 Plasma Crisis Team, 1 Missile Commander, 2 Coldstars, Firewarrior gunline w/ Fireblade, Breachers, Darkstrider + Devilfish, 3x 5 Pathfinders,
Additional Info: This was against a guy who was doing incredibly well as necrons with destroyer + Warrior blob spam. Due to stomping a couple of friends with a fully competitive list recently, I toned it down a bit and it made a more interesting game. If I had my usual Y'Vahra it would've been over a turn quicker (Y'Vahra's are engineered for killing destroyers!). I tabled him in turn 4 but I only had about 30% of my army left.

I don't have the time to write up the additional details for the 5 tournament games I played a few months ago. The details for which can be found in http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=26963

The record for that will be:

Opponent: Eldar
Competitive/Casual: Competative
Format: The relic
List Theme: 2x Triple FC + Shield Gen, 1 Plasma Crisis Team, 1 Missile Commander, 2 Coldstars, Firewarrior gunline w/ Fireblade, Breachers, 3x 5 Pathfinders, Y'Vahra, 10 Drones
Additional Info: See link to battle report

Opponent: Astra Millitarum
Format: Mealstrom with -1 to hit + secret objectives
List Theme: 2x Triple FC + Shield Gen, 1 Plasma Crisis Team, 1 Missile Commander, 2 Coldstars, Firewarrior gunline w/ Fireblade, Breachers, 3x 5 Pathfinders, Y'Vahra, 10 Drones

Opponent: Harlequins + Dark Eldar + Farseer
Format: Eternal War with 4 objectives

Opponent: Alpha Legion + Tzeench Deamons
Format: Maelstrom with 3 cards at all times + 6 objectives

Opponent: Ultramarines(Guilleman) + Celestine + 4 Assassins
Format: Eternal War with Random disappearing objectives

Hope this helps! If you need more details just let me know
Playing with a short reach since 2007 :crafty:

Ash87
Shas'Saal

Post#32 » Jan 12 2018 12:08

Opponent: Tyranid
Tournament: n/a
Format: Standard, Kill point
List Theme: CIB Commander (Shield Drones x2), Cadre (Gun Drones x2), x2 Breacher Team (6 man) /w Guardian Drone, Strike team (7 man) /w x2 Gun drones, x2 Stealth Suits (3 man- 1 plasma) /w x2 Gun drones, Crisis Suites (3 man): x2 Flamer /w Shield gen and x1 Fusion /w Drone controller (x4 gun drones, x2 shield drones), x2 Pathfinders (7 man, 3 /w rail rifles) /w pulse accelerator drone, x2 sun shark bomber, x1 Y'vahra
Experience: 1-2 years. This might be the 3-4th 8th edition game I've played, and I took about a 6 month break on playing before this game, so my list wasn't very well optimized (But it did it's job)

We played on a large board [8x10]. I had the new Tau relic and strategem. The strategem is an auto-use for me now, as it let me waste at least 3 large units, no problem. I used it to blast a 30 bug horde off the board in one shooting phase once too. The puretide engram, let me get 2 command points back, so I ended up using 8 over the whole game, with me using at least one a shooting phase with the strategem. I'm on the fence about the Y'vahra, because he was really only useful to me in overwatch, and as a lure. I think I finally got him into position and range of some juicy units on turn 4 (Which was the last turn), where he managed to kill a hive tyrant and a squad of warriors in one shooting phase (Both of which were wounded already)... but my opponent also screwed up, letting it be kill point and letting me turtle up in a corner with a full gunline. He soaked up lots of hits, but that ++3 invul rarely kicked in as most things were shooting him outside of 12".

The guy I play regularly is a Grey Knight and Deathwatch player, and I'm going to proxy a stormsurge against him. If it plays poorly I might try to proxy in the Y'vahra again, as this guy I'll be playing much more aggressive about getting into combat range (Which seems to be what the Y'vahra would be best at dealing with). Of course that invites the issue of bringing forgeworld models to a friendly game, and how long you stay friends after that. I will also say, I rolled very well in this game. At one point the guy I was playing with, made me swap dice because he said they were loaded :P . The match MVP for me, were the Sun Sharks, those pulse bombs and ion shots making my life a lot easier. 1-2 of those are going to be a must bring from here on out.

Executive Summary: I rolled well, turtled up, and blasted 40 tyranids off the board for the greater good. Y'vahra didn't help me much because I was always at range; and, will probably try him against a grey knight player coming up. Puretide engram and markerlight strategem made my life a lot easier.

Darthi
Shas

Post#33 » Jan 13 2018 11:04

Points/PL: 85pl
Opponent:Death Guard
Competitive/Casual:casual
Format: Open play
List Theme: Heavy strike and infiltration
Experience: 1 year (only 3 months tau)
Additional info: He die not attack me in close combat so i had a easy job whit my fusion crisis and shadowsun with a XV25 squad.

Darthi
Shas

Post#34 » Jan 13 2018 11:05

Darthi wrote:Outcome: W
Points/PL: 85pl
Opponent:Death Guard
Competitive/Casual:casual
Format: Open play
List Theme: Heavy strike and infiltration
Experience: 1 year (only 3 months tau)
Additional info: He die not attack me in close combat so i had a easy job whit my fusion crisis and shadowsun with a XV25 squad.

Sorry meant manta

Ash87
Shas'Saal

Post#35 » Jan 13 2018 08:10

Opponent: Grey Knight/Deathwatch
Tournament: n/a
Format: Eternal War, Retrieval, DOW deployment
List Theme: Quad Fusion Commander (Shield Drones x2), Cadre (Gun Drones x2), x2 Breacher Team (6 man) /w Guardian Drone, Strike team (7 man), x2 Stealth Suits (3 man- 1 plasma) /w x2 Gun drones, x2 Pathfinders (7 man, 3 /w rail rifles) /w pulse accelerator drone, x2 sun shark bomber, x1 Stormsurge /w Pulse Blastcannon, 1 commander /w x3 burst and ats (Shield Drones x2), Ghostkeel, x2 Kroot Hounds (7 hounds per)
Experience: 1-2 years.

Additional Info: The opponent spent entirely too much time trying to down the stormsurge, and tried to stay out of my range (Which only landed him in the range of my big guns, and just meant He was out of range since I could hit him with a pulse accelerator). So his entire first round of shots (He had first turn) went into my stormsurge, reducing it from 20 to 8 wounds. I hadn't taken stimulant injector (But will from here on out) with this unit. My first round of shooting I killed 3 squads of 3 paladins, 1 nemesis dreadknight, and a venerable dreadnought, then I killed 8 deathwatch with mortal wound bombs. He unofficially conceded at this point, but we kept playing for S&G. End score was 7-1 (He got first blood on a squad of breachers).

Next time I play, I'm sticking my infantry in a transport, as my breachers just couldn't get in close enough to effect things.

Meyen
Shas'Saal

Post#36 » Jan 14 2018 01:24

Outcome: Draw
Points/PL: 2,000 Pts
List Theme: Mix of infantry and suits
Experience: Long time player with T'au as my only fighting ready army.
Additional Info: Stormsurge won this draw with the Nids failing to capitalise in their combat phases.

Points/PL: 2,000 Points
Opponent: Space Wolves
Format: Eternal War - Relic
List Theme: Mix of Infantry and suits
Additional Info: Broadsides were the stars here. Game constantly changed on who had the advantage. Only snuck a win at the very end.

Return to “Battle Reports”