Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Discuss any rules that are confusing or bothering you.
User avatar
NerdyPup
Shas
Posts: 3

Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#1 » Feb 12 2018 08:28

I'm a bit confused between the interaction between these two. :-?

When an enemy successfully wounds a model that is both in range of the Savior Protocol of a Shield Drone and the Sense of Stone aura, can I allocate the wound to the Drone and use both the SoS and Shield Generator roll or do I have to choose?

User avatar
Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal
Posts: 74

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#2 » Feb 12 2018 09:07

The abilities stack, so it gets both.
E.g.

-Enemy hits and successfully wounds your model.
-Wound allocated to nearby shield drone via saviour protocols- becomes single mortal wound.
-take 5+++ from shield generator to ignore the damage.
-if unsuccessful, 6+++ from Sense of Stone.


A commander with stim injector, tenacious survivor Warlord trait and within range of an ethereal using Sense of Stone gets 3 attempts to ignore the damage on a 6, which seems excessive but oh well. :)
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

User avatar
NerdyPup
Shas
Posts: 3

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#3 » Feb 12 2018 09:10

Aspiring Commander wrote:The abilities stack, so it gets both.
E.g.

-Enemy hits and successfully wounds your model.
-Wound allocated to nearby shield drone via saviour protocols- becomes single mortal wound.
-take 5+++ from shield generator to ignore the damage.
-if unsuccessful, 6+++ from Sense of Stone.


A commander with stim injector, tenacious survivor Warlord trait and within range of an ethereal using Sense of Stone gets 3 attempts to ignore the damage on a 6, which seems excessive but oh well. :)


Awesome, thank you so much! :D

Corbeau
Shas
Posts: 5

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#4 » Feb 12 2018 09:12

I don't think ethereal can give their buffs to drones. IIRC it is only to Infantry and Battlesuits.

User avatar
NerdyPup
Shas
Posts: 3

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#5 » Feb 12 2018 09:17

Corbeau wrote:I don't think ethereal can give their buffs to drones. IIRC it is only to Infantry and Battlesuits.

Oh damn that's a good point. Completely slipped my mind.

User avatar
Kelandis
Shas'Saal
Posts: 66

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#6 » Feb 12 2018 09:23

NerdyPup wrote:
Corbeau wrote:I don't think ethereal can give their buffs to drones. IIRC it is only to Infantry and Battlesuits.

Oh damn that's a good point. Completely slipped my mind.


Yeah I actually tried to pull the exact same combo one time thinking about how awesome it would be, until I read that it only affected Infantry and Battlesuits xD

Corbeau
Shas
Posts: 5

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#7 » Feb 12 2018 09:29

you can still stack 3 of these buffs on a commander. If he's your warlord, has a stimpack and sense of stone

User avatar
SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La
Posts: 454

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#8 » Feb 13 2018 05:00

In most cases, a FNP roll doesn't stack. I'm pretty sure Leviathan nids don't have their HFA stack with the Catalyst, and Orks don't get the benefit of both dok tools and cyborg bodies.

User avatar
Aspiring Commander
Shas'Saal
Posts: 74

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#9 » Feb 13 2018 05:23

SinisterSamurai wrote:In most cases, a FNP roll doesn't stack. I'm pretty sure Leviathan nids don't have their HFA stack with the Catalyst, and Orks don't get the benefit of both dok tools and cyborg bodies.



They do, it's in the main rule book FAQ:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resource ... ok_ENG.pdf
'We act as one, and united we cannot fall'

-Commander Shadowsun

User avatar
JancoBCN
Shas'Saal
Posts: 109

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#10 » Feb 13 2018 05:31

SinisterSamurai wrote:In most cases, a FNP roll doesn't stack. I'm pretty sure Leviathan nids don't have their HFA stack with the Catalyst, and Orks don't get the benefit of both dok tools and cyborg bodies.


You are putting valid examples, but those are cases where the same rule specifies that you cannot stack them:
NOBZ Datasheet - Index Xenos 2, pg. 24 wrote:Cybork Body: Each time a model with a Cybork body loses a wound, roll a D6; on a 6 that wound is not lost. You cannot make a Dok's Tools roll for this model if you do so.


And also we have a GW FAQ about different rules that provide FNP-like effects, that do not specify if they can be stacked or they do not:
WARHAMMER 40,000 RULEBOOK - Official Update Version 1.1, pg. 4 wrote:Q: If a model has two rules that allow it to ignore wounds, such as the Disgustingly Resilient ability and the Tenacious Survivor Warlord Trait, can I use them both?
A: Unless stated otherwise, yes.


So actually, FNP DO stack, unless stated otherwise. And this is due to its nature, it is not a process of the "Resolve attacks" or "Resolve close combat attacks" steps (detailed in both the "SHOOTING SEQUENCE" and the "FIGHT SEQUENCE", respectively), as the Wound Roll or the Saving Throw are. FNP are just additional abilities that interact with those predefined sequences, but not as a rule.

The confusion is perfectly understandable due to (1) prior editions, (2) the interaction between invulnerable saves and the Saving throw step, with a replacement effect; and (3) the poor wording on both the FNP rules AND the nonexistance of any clarification or general rule for them in the main RULEBOOK.

EDIT:
Aspiring Commander wrote:
SinisterSamurai wrote:In most cases, a FNP roll doesn't stack. I'm pretty sure Leviathan nids don't have their HFA stack with the Catalyst, and Orks don't get the benefit of both dok tools and cyborg bodies.



They do, it's in the main rule book FAQ:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resource ... ok_ENG.pdf

I just saw that after posting, I basically said the same than you did! :D

User avatar
CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal
Posts: 270

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#11 » Feb 13 2018 09:36

Aspiring Commander wrote:The abilities stack, so it gets both.
E.g.

-Enemy hits and successfully wounds your model.
-Wound allocated to nearby shield drone via saviour protocols- becomes single mortal wound.
-take 5+++ from shield generator to ignore the damage.
-if unsuccessful, 6+++ from Sense of Stone.


A commander with stim injector, tenacious survivor Warlord trait and within range of an ethereal using Sense of Stone gets 3 attempts to ignore the damage on a 6, which seems excessive but oh well. :)


That is correct. It's actually a strategy I used when I wanted to deny the Slay the Warlord VP (comes in handy in relic games and other low VP modes). I put a Shield Generator and Stim Injectors on my warlord with tenacious survivor. It worked ok before CA. Basicially they would just ignore him after the first round of trying to kill him. After CA, I think the PEN is perhaps only slightly better. Still not sure why we (and a couple other factions) get CPs back on a 6+ but others get them back on a 5+. Seems like just giving everyone a 5+ relic OR a 6+ relic would have been more condusive to less butthurtedness.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

User avatar
steelmanf
Shas'Saal
Posts: 57

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#12 » Feb 13 2018 12:43

CDR_Farsight wrote:After CA, I think the PEN is perhaps only slightly better. Still not sure why we (and a couple other factions) get CPs back on a 6+ but others get them back on a 5+. Seems like just giving everyone a 5+ relic OR a 6+ relic would have been more condusive to less butthurtedness.


To be fair, a lot of the time the "gain a CP on 5+" relic only works when YOU use a strategem, while the "gain a CP on 6+" relic we have can be used when EITHER army (self or opponent) uses a strategem. This is without me specifically looking it up in CA right this second, but this seems to be the case. In addition, we get that free re-roll, which isn't nothing.

User avatar
CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal
Posts: 270

Re: Sense of Stone and Shield Drones

Post#13 » Feb 13 2018 01:40

steelmanf wrote:
CDR_Farsight wrote:After CA, I think the PEN is perhaps only slightly better. Still not sure why we (and a couple other factions) get CPs back on a 6+ but others get them back on a 5+. Seems like just giving everyone a 5+ relic OR a 6+ relic would have been more condusive to less butthurtedness.


To be fair, a lot of the time the "gain a CP on 5+" relic only works when YOU use a strategem, while the "gain a CP on 6+" relic we have can be used when EITHER army (self or opponent) uses a strategem. This is without me specifically looking it up in CA right this second, but this seems to be the case. In addition, we get that free re-roll, which isn't nothing.


That balances things out a bit more. My flgs is definitely playing it wrong then.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Return to “Rules & FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest